Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to get rid of piston slap

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get rid of piston slap

I just thought I would let you guys know that I finally got rid of my piston slap on wed, by doing a fuel system cleaning on my truck. The Everwear guy came to our shop and gave me one for free to try on my truck, and I swear by this stuf!!! No more piston noise. Now its not so embarressing to let my truck idle at a light. Just thopught I would share this with you guys. i didnt do a search so I dont know if it has already been said so enjoy.
Nick
Old 04-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Fast lane preferred

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slammedS10
I just thought I would let you guys know that I finally got rid of my piston slap on wed, by doing a fuel system cleaning on my truck. The Everwear guy came to our shop and gave me one for free to try on my truck, and I swear by this stuf!!! No more piston noise. Now its not so embarressing to let my truck idle at a light. Just thopught I would share this with you guys. i didnt do a search so I dont know if it has already been said so enjoy.
Nick

Got any more info on this stuff? I have been thinking about seafoam, but I don't think anybody has claimed eliminating pistonslap with it. I may be wrong.

PM me with a website if needed. Couldn't find much with a google search. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you could pm me the website also.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

just post the website...
Old 04-29-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Think this is it.

http://www.cparkerdesign.com/dev/eve.../products.html
Old 04-29-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

On my old Merc, I'd throw a can of BG44K in the tank and it ran very well for having 130K city miles on a four-banger. Does anyone know if this stuff is better than the BG?
Old 04-29-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

You may have had some sludge build up in a lifter that wasnt pumping up; are you sure that it wasnt a lifter tapping because I cant see any additive curing piston slap. piston slap is the result of gm engineers designing the new gen III motors with no piston skirts to lower rotating mass. The skirt is the part of the piston that is on the bottom end that is larger than the top end. Once the vehicle heats up to a certain temp the top part of the piston expands enough to keep the piston from moving around in the cylinder
Old 04-29-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

gm piston slap is caused by carbon buildup on the piston. G.m. recommends that you do a fuel system cleaning to rid it of the noise. I know it wasnt a lifter because the fuel system treatment doesnt go to the valve train, only in the airintake, fuel injecters, and piston. The system hangs from the hood and has an I.V. drip. You have to tap into a manifold vaccuum line on the intake side.

Trust me , I know what a colapsed lifter sound like.
i am a mechanic. And Yes It did get rid of the piston slap. so far its been three days and no noise.. I dont recommned the sea foam. Its a product that I never liked and heard more neg than positive about. But I dont have personal experience with it so I dont know first hand.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

my truck never had piston slap when it was cold, it did it once it warmed up, I only have 30,000 miles on my truck also.\]

try this link.. www.carfood.net/tri-max2000/gran2parprof.html

and click on the tri-max link on the page. If you dont feel confident doing it yourself you can take it to a local Firestone, but I think we charge $79.99 for the service. It worked on my truck, and just about everyother full size I have done it on. Call the dealer, they will tell you there cure for it .

Last edited by slammedS10; 04-29-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by slammedS10
gm piston slap is caused by carbon buildup on the piston. G.m. recommends that you do a fuel system cleaning to rid it of the noise. I know it wasnt a lifter because the fuel system treatment doesnt go to the valve train, only in the airintake, fuel injecters, and piston. The system hangs from the hood and has an I.V. drip. You have to tap into a manifold vaccuum line on the intake side.

Trust me , I know what a colapsed lifter sound like.
i am a mechanic. And Yes It did get rid of the piston slap. so far its been three days and no noise.. I dont recommned the sea foam. Its a product that I never liked and heard more neg than positive about. But I dont have personal experience with it so I dont know first hand.
doesn't GM have a topend cleaner, much like seafoam, available from the dealer?

Quick Reply: how to get rid of piston slap