48.75%
I think it would look terrible
11.25%
I will wait to see the prototype to judge
37.50%
I would buy one for sure
8.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Trans Ams Who would be interested in the coupe wing?

Old 12-11-2008, 10:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Ams Who would be interested in the coupe wing?

I have heard it asked before and I have the opportunity to develop a new trunk lid for the convertible Trans Am with the coupe wing.

I want to see if anyone would be interested in that.

Any photochoppers in the house I would love to see what this would look like.
(I can't find a decent pic to work with)
Old 12-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Launching!

People always make posts like this, getting our hopes up and nothing ever gets produced. I think that a normal t-top wing would not look right in the convertible,perhaps a different style one something similar to the ones on the g35 coupe they are similar to the trans am wing but in my opinion they would flow better with the vert!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Launching!

I don't wan't one on mine, I like it on the coupe but realy don't like vert's w/wings
Mustang verts w/wing just look funny to me
Old 12-12-2008, 10:04 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by munecorey
People always make posts like this, getting our hopes up and nothing ever gets produced. I think that a normal t-top wing would not look right in the convertible,perhaps a different style one something similar to the ones on the g35 coupe they are similar to the trans am wing but in my opinion they would flow better with the vert!
I agree I have seen this posted, But I am working with a supplier who may actually make it. G35 huh, well I will talk to them about some different possibilies. There is not a whole lot in the aftermarket for the trans am looks wise (and not much need it was so well designed)

Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD
I don't wan't one on mine, I like it on the coupe but realy don't like vert's w/wings
Mustang verts w/wing just look funny to me
I too question how it would look. with the coupes lines it flows but the vert top drops like an FRC vette and may not look very good, both with the top up or down. Thats why I would like to see it photochopped. I can do it I just need to get the right pictures to work with first.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i personally would like it. our vert trunk lids are ugly *****

much rather have the normal trunk lid. if infact it looked similiar.

not like that one guy on here who has the lid ontop of the old lid.. thatw as just horrible
Old 12-16-2008, 04:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would love something on the lines of an Iroc spoiler for firebird verts.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

If you want to see what the coupe WS6 wing looks like on a WS6 convert:

http://www.fquick.com/Wallywimple

You can see how much longer it is - to create a "correct" looking spoiler is going to take quite a bit of fabrication. I'd like to see a prototype, before passing judgement
Old 12-16-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I actually love the look of that coupe wing, it gives the car a roadster kind of appearance, but i can see where it will take a fair amount of work. I can't tell if he "rounded" the vert's trunk lid to the size of a coupe's trunk lid and added and the high rise spoiler or what? Anybody has more info about this?
Old 12-18-2008, 05:49 AM
TECH Regular

**** that looks killer Badass !
Old 12-19-2008, 01:19 PM
FormerVendor

Very Interesting. Well That still looks like he kept it very low rise, unlike the stock coupe wing. Car will be going in soon to have the prototype made.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Teching In

I think that wing sticks out the back too far, otherwise that would be awesome
Old 12-20-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think his looks like ***...if the rise was normal and the wing didnt over hang so bad it would look better
Old 12-20-2008, 12:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by dakkrin
I think that wing sticks out the back too far, otherwise that would be awesome
Originally Posted by ttranssam
i think his looks like ***...if the rise was normal and the wing didnt over hang so bad it would look better
Agreed, I am going for the stock coupe wings look. Should be ready in Jan.

I am going to try and find a pic of the stock wing and do a little photochop to get an idea, stay tuned, I will post it up when I get it done.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

i think it will wicked especially at stock height and length.. can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:59 AM
TECH Resident

I just saw this and I think it would look amazing. Ive always wanted a trunk lid w/ spoiler like the coupes. There are a few things Id like to add for it:

1) Im not sure on the height that the coupe spoiler would be, but being able to see out the rear window would be a big plus. Ive read in earlier threads that that is one of reasons the high rise would not work.

2) One thing I noticed about the stock trunk lid is that it seems excessively heavy. If you made a lighter version, Im sure we all wouldnt mind a lighter cooler looking lid

3) The third thing is that it needs to be a straight bolt in replacement (lights and everything). Having to modify anything on the trunk in addition to what will prob be quite a big investment would prob drive people away.

Anyway Im looking forward to your prototype and if its good you have one definite buyer here!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Personally, I like the Formula style rear. That being said, I would just have to see how the final prototype looked before I could give you an honest opinion of it.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
I just saw this and I think it would look amazing. Ive always wanted a trunk lid w/ spoiler like the coupes. There are a few things Id like to add for it:

1) Im not sure on the height that the coupe spoiler would be, but being able to see out the rear window would be a big plus. Ive read in earlier threads that that is one of reasons the high rise would not work.

2) One thing I noticed about the stock trunk lid is that it seems excessively heavy. If you made a lighter version, Im sure we all wouldnt mind a lighter cooler looking lid

3) The third thing is that it needs to be a straight bolt in replacement (lights and everything). Having to modify anything on the trunk in addition to what will prob be quite a big investment would prob drive people away.

Anyway Im looking forward to your prototype and if its good you have one definite buyer here!
Regarding the height, well the stock wing is intrusive on rearward vision of the coupe and with the smaller back window, I think it will have the same problem. only way to over come that would be to flatten the wing in the center section out once it reaches stock height which I don't think would work. I will sacrifice a bit of rear veiw if it looks good though.

As for weight, it will be all fiberglass which it can't get much lighter than that (including the new trunk lid, which would be required)

As for a straight bolt on the wing will have to come with a new trunk lid to match the curvature of the coupe at the back. The tailight is a concern as it is expensive to buy from GM, but I am looking at a compete kit.

Car will be looked at today and just need to get the stock coupe wing to them this week.

Should be ready before the end of Jan.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:57 AM
FormerVendor

Now my photochopping skills are not the best and I did not find a whole lot to work with, but this will ahve to sufice for now.

I will take pictures of the actual one when it is ready.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for addressing those points. I know that pretty much most of them cant be helped, but they were just things that popped into my head when I was thinking about whether I would purchase one. Those pics look great for the photoshop, cant wait to see the real one.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroker396@APF
Now my photochopping skills are not the best and I did not find a whole lot to work with, but this will ahve to sufice for now.

I will take pictures of the actual one when it is ready.
That looks MUCH better. I've always said that if there was ONE other exterior, purely cosmetic mod I'd do to my 'vert, that rear spoiler would be it. I just can't believe it took 6 years after the final MY for someone to step up and do this. The several half-assed attempts I've seen thus far just haven't been tempting. THANKS, good luck and keep us posted on progress.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans Ams Who would be interested in the coupe wing?