General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Grinding noise from rear end

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Grinding noise from rear end

I'm getting a grinding noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear end.
It seemed to get louder after replacing the LCAs, but the noise was still there before.

Last week I noticed that you could grab either LCA and physically wiggle it.
I had a set of use BMR LCAs that I just put new poly bushings in, so I put them in. The Tubular LCAs and Poly bushings probably amplify the noise.

I get the noise more when I press the gas. It doesn't seem to vary with speed or RPM, but if I put the slightest pressure on the gas pedal it gets loud. Let the pedal go and the sound drops off, but is still there.

I put the car up on jack stands and checked the differential level, full.
Any attempt to add more gear oil and it comes out the fill hole.

I have a TA cover on the back, and forgot my allen wrenches, so I wanted to at least check the axles before I drop the car back down and go get the wrenches.

I pulled off each rear wheel and calipers still grinds. I pull off the rear rotors and the grinding got a little quieter.

I took some video on my phone, you'll have to put the volume up to hear the noises. I don't want to go spend $60 dollars on bearings if they arent bad. I can't remember if this is normal, doesnt sound good IMO.

Here's the right side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkCjH5u07_s

and here's the drivers side (different noise):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axsBS1S3BVc

Any ideas?
Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to me it sounds like the axle bearings are shot. pull the cover and get the axles out and check them and the bearings out really good.