Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

the MYT engine: 850 hp 32 cyl 150 lbs, for real?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default the MYT engine: 850 hp 32 cyl 150 lbs, for real?

http://www.angellabsllc.com/index.html

thoughts?

http://www.angellabsllc.com/ME%20theory.html

1. The Mighty Engine ™ (“ME”) design is very small and simple. The prototype has a 14 inch diameter and is 14 inches long. It weighs 150lbs. There are only 26 moving parts, 31 parts total. These are simple, physical facts. The first prototype uses diesel or biodiesel for fuel. (The ME design accommodates dramatic reductions in size depending on the application of the engine.) Through two revolutions of its crankshaft, the ME firing cycle is equivalent to a 32 cylinder reciprocating engine, that is, it fires 32 times. As a result, its displacement is equivalent to an 848 cubic inch reciprocating engine, despite its compactness. This displacement comparison is derived as follows: (3.1416*(3)(3)*3.75)/4*32 = 848 cubic inches, with a 3” bore and 3.75” stroke, four stroke cycle and thirty two firings. The design is also modular. Additional units can be connected to increase power. The ME is actually a large (extremely efficiently organized) displacement internal combustion engine; therefore its high horsepower output. Moreover, with the high number of cylinders firing in close order, a high number of pulses are generated for high torque, but without the friction and parasitic losses discussed below. (ME efficiency and the ability to use biofuels reduces our dependency on foreign oil.)

2. At 150lbs, the basic ME design needs only to produce 3,000 hp from 848 cubic inches to produce a 20 to 1 power to weight ratio. (We are assuming less than 4 hp per cubic inch of displacement. Racing engines based on conventional design perform up to 5+ hp per cubic inch of displacement with Super/Turbo Charge. With Normally Aspirated, it will generate minimum 850 horse powers.) To our knowledge, only the latest jet engine has finally attained a 20 to 1 power to weight ratio. By replacing the rear cover of the ME and connecting another ME chamber assembly (adding two inches in length and little additional weight) the ME now becomes a 64 cylinder engine with 1,695 cubic inches raising the power to weight ratio up to 40 to 1.

3. Since the ME lacks the 80% of the parts normally found in a reciprocating internal combustion engine that is responsible for high friction and parasitic losses, this normally dormant horsepower is now available and would increase the total deliverable output of the ME.

4. Normally, in a compression ignition (diesel) engine, combustion begins @ TDC (Top Dead Center) @ 0 degree crankshaft position. The expanding gases push the piston down on the power stroke, rotating the crankshaft 180 degrees. The piston then returns to TDC pushing the exhaust at the exhaust stroke, rotating the crankshaft another 180 degrees. This is the burning time in a standard engine, a total of 360 degrees duration.

5. On a dynamometer, an engine’s combustion temperatures is typically measured 2” from the exhaust ports, on the premise that the combustion temperature is very close to exhaust temperature. This is due to the zero degree duration @ TDC and the 360 degrees running duration of a standard engine. However, if @TDC, the piston is allowed to stay for a longer duration, it will burn a greater percentage of the fuel and air mixture in the combustion chamber until oxygen or fuel theoretically runs out at the end of the power stroke, thereby totally completing the combustion process and drastically lowering the exhaust temperature at the end of the exhaust stroke.

6. The ME design permits the piston dwell @TDC to be adjustable and the prototype ME is currently set at approximately 12 degrees of the crankshaft rotation, thereby approaching the perfection of a complete burn of all fuel. Its exhaust gases are much cooler. As a result:

* More energy is harnessed for the same amount of fuel and air input.

* There is less left over fuel to continue to burn at the exhaust stroke.

* There is less waste and pollution

7. The higher compression ratios used in diesel engines result in greater thermal expansion of gases in the cylinder. The end result is a high percentage of fuel energy being converted into useful power. (When running the ME with Bio fuels, the same fuel is used to lubricate the crankcase.) In the ME design, a compression ratio as high as 70:1 can be attained due to the absence of the restrictive reciprocating components. Specifically:

* The combustion chambers in the ME have no design limitations due to the absence of valves. (The internal combustion engine is an air pump. Airflow through intake and exhaust ports are normally restricted by valves. The ME has no valve --just open ports with no restriction. Air flow action is one way.)

* There are no odd or brand new parts within the cylinder. All the parts are proven designs used in reciprocating engines.

* The entire engine acts as a heat sink and a radiator. It is both air and oil cooled.

* There is no thrust loading on piston skirts.

* Pistons do not touch the cylinder walls, only the rings do.

* Pistons travel only the same direction. No reciprocation, only stop and go.

* There is high rpm potential for all of these reasons.

* There are no cylinder heads, no cam shaft, no valves (the ME is equivalent to the bottom end of a reciprocating engine).

* Intake compression and power stroke and exhaust stroke events are happening all at the same time, so there are no load strokes.

* AND THE ME DESIGN IS NOT A ROTARY OR WANKEL
Old 11-20-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how the HELL dose that work??
Old 11-20-2008, 02:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So wait is it single cylinder? That's amazing, I love technology
Old 11-20-2008, 02:24 AM
11 Second Club

Did you see the CR on the website? 25:1
Old 11-20-2008, 06:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chuntington101
I have a magic box it dose incredible things but I’m not going to tell u how it works... sounds like to me
Old 11-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been around for a little while now, they have a couple display engines and also a handful of running prototypes last i heard. They do have video of it on a dyno running and ti does make a load of power. Also the design is pure genious, i have contacted them before about acquiring one to test the limits of it but they had not gotten a price and i forgot. That thing with a S510 borg warner blowing 10psi in it would be insane
Old 11-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Like this. Very cool, and I certainly hope that they can bring the concept to marketable reality.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Sounds like a super advanced rotary.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI1JLbnW3Sg

I WANT ONE OF THESE!!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

what the hell....ive been thinking of this f-ing thing all day and now just finialy seen the videos of it running....please people start talking about this thing.
- 800+ hp...
- the size???
- mainly gear drivin...gears like the one shown will not last long...or with higher rpm
- seems like a higher rpm motor
- above all...i dont think it would make any good torq?
What do youall think?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

and too much movement for one rpm
Old 11-20-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 433 Likes on 308 Posts

Goddamnit! I just wasted seconds of my life wacthing that snake oil crap.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LILS
Like this. Very cool, and I certainly hope that they can bring the concept to marketable reality.
owwww its a half rotation engine! very cool indead!

here is some drawings a guy did of them. great idea.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...t=157463&i=140

Chris.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I saw this about a year n a half ago.. never heard anything about it since then.

They did have one that was running on compressed Air as a Prototype, and it made a bunch of power..

If it goes into production, it'll be a nasty little **** when properly tinkered with.

It's estimated a unit the size of a 350 is supposed to put out over 2000hp..
Old 11-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

owwww its a half rotation engine!
Not really.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

2000 hp? where did they say that i think is bs
Old 11-21-2008, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I can't get to the link where I saw it from here, it was a while ago too so I may be looking up the wrong thing..
Old 11-24-2008, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LILS
can you exsplain what you mean as i cant get video at work.

Cheers

Chris.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

can you exsplain what you mean as i cant get video at work.

Cheers

Chris.
Sure. In a toroidal half-rotation engine, the piston-equivalents oscillate back and forth within their fixed quadrant of the torus. In the MYT, the piston-equivalents cycle around the complete torus in a stepwise, stop-and-go fashion; so it's not half-rotation, but full-rotation.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ttranssam
- above all...i dont think it would make any good torq?
What do youall think?
Naw man, it makes over 800HP but doesnt make any torque.

HP is derived from TQ.

Quick Reply: the MYT engine: 850 hp 32 cyl 150 lbs, for real?