Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

UPDATE: Targa roof is close to production...

Old 12-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default UPDATE: Targa roof is close to production...

ORDERING DETAILS HERE: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l#post12809363

UPDATE: PAGE 4 POST 67

So, we changed the design because in our guts we knew we weren't happy with the original. Although we tried to convince ourselves, "Well, it matches the way the Camaro hood has bumps over the headlights... etc."

Old roof design...

My Carbon Fiber guy got his hands on it and was like, "Whoa, this doesn't look like the photoshop Neil first envisioned..." and he was right and thankfully he had the skill to make it more like what we originally wanted and, IMHO, even better...

He designed it so that it would resemble the New Camaro...

...but flow with our cars (down to the U channel for the rain channel)...

You can follow the final stages of the production process and see more pics here...

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/forum/...hp?topic=273.0

This isn't really a, "What do you think?" thread because I am not changing anything. There is a lot that went into this design and this is the way the final product has to be.

I think it looks GREAT and can't wait to get it on my car and paint it and the sail panel body color and bring my 1970's style t-topped 1998 F-Body into the 21st Century, just thought I'd share...

UPDATE 1/27/10:

I have one word for everyone... PICS!!!

Hardware isn't attached yet but you get the idea. I just got these from McNord minutes ago and couldn't wait to post.

F@CK IT LOOKS GOOD

On its way to me soon so I can finish developing the kit and take good pics. We're still shooting for an $800 CF top and a $600 FG top and we're pretty sure that will INCLUDE hardware (ready to latch right on) with NO core charge.

Thoughts?

Last edited by 6LITEREATER; 01-27-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet. can't wait to see how it looks.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id be all over this if it wasn't for the price your considering. I know this was talked about on your website, but why not use fiberglass or another, cheaper material to cut some overhead? 4 figures for a roof replacement is hard to think about.

I gotta say though, a lot of your designs I've been considering making on my own for years (splitter, diffuser, headlight bracket cover, targa top), and I applaud you for recognizing the niche in the market and taking the initiative to produce these great additions to our cars.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
Id be all over this if it wasn't for the price your considering. I know this was talked about on your website, but why not use fiberglass or another, cheaper material to cut some overhead? 4 figures for a roof replacement is hard to think about.

I gotta say though, a lot of your designs I've been considering making on my own for years (splitter, diffuser, headlight bracket cover, targa top), and I applaud you for recognizing the niche in the market and taking the initiative to produce these great additions to our cars.
You have to realize that that over $300 of the price is just in factory hardware alone... Unfortunately they don't manufacture the parts we need to make this latch in like factory t-tops so we have to salvage and re manufacture pieces from damaged t-tops OR (sadly) good t-tops that we have to damage ourselves to get the hardware.

That being said there will be a limited number of these for sale and material can't be bought in bulk for that reason driving the cost per unit up even more. Hence the $1000 price tag for a roof.

At least it comes to you in finished CF so you don't have to paint it. Not to mention most people pay around $1000 just to piece together a t-top kit where we hope to offer a Targa top kit for only a couple of hundred more

I just can't wait to also benefit from the lower center of gravity via the weight savings off the roof

Last edited by 6LITEREATER; 01-27-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hpjunky98

Oh, fiberglass won't be used due to safety and liability. Besides, the price wasn't that different when you looked at the material we had to use to come close to making it strong enough (would have to add a metal frame for the fiberglass to not rip off at high speeds)...
Old 12-15-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Damn Mark, you're on a roll with all sorts of crap, and it all looks awesome!
Old 12-15-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

wheres my top mark lol? i need this thing soon. shoot me a pm with final prices and all that.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
wheres my top mark lol? i need this thing soon. shoot me a pm with final prices and all that.
I went to PM you and didn't have it anymore, lol! I wanted you to be the first to see the updated pics

He had a setback but got himself back on schedule so I'd say we are only 3-4 weeks away
Old 12-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
Do you like the final design?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

WOW I like this design alot more then the 1st. I really want to see it in carbon. I MAYY have broken ttops. But they are just the side pieces with the latch and all that. I guess thats prob what you need. If you are interested send me a pm and we can work somthing out.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Rai
TECH Enthusiast

it looks prefect!!- much better than the 1st design.

why dont you reduce the price for the guys who already have t tops??????????????

they could reuse all their original hardware. just an idea
Old 12-15-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i like these. I cant wait to see what it looks like. the only thing that sucks about them is the storage part.any way to make them fold in half..lol!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Do you like the final design?
of coarse i do. i was just waiting to here from you about a update and stuff. so get me prices and all that and this way i can get my top soon.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by x2jesse1x
WOW I like this design alot more then the 1st. I really want to see it in carbon. I MAYY have broken ttops. But they are just the side pieces with the latch and all that. I guess thats prob what you need. If you are interested send me a pm and we can work somthing out.
I'll definitely take the t-top pieces off of your hands, shoot me a PM...
Old 12-16-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn dude that does look good!
Maybe you could cut some of the price if you did sell them - mounting hardware and use the consumers t-tops for parts.
I think it might be hard to sell these to guys that already have ttops, but to guys doing the conversion it would be alot more appealing.
As always good work Mark!
Old 12-16-2008, 02:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by x2jesse1x
I'll definitely take the t-top pieces off of your hands, shoot me a PM...
Old 12-16-2008, 02:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rai
it looks prefect!!- much better than the 1st design.

why dont you reduce the price for the guys who already have t tops??????????????

they could reuse all their original hardware. just an idea
We can do that but most people aren't cool with shattering their own t-tops and using an industrial epoxy to hold them onto carbon fiber...

Besides, people with t-tops can simply sell the t-tops to recoup MORE than what we could knock off in most cases...
Old 12-16-2008, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks awesome, i want to pick this up for my ride, hopefully i can squeeze the money out without the wife knowing.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
Damn dude that does look good!
Maybe you could cut some of the price if you did sell them - mounting hardware and use the consumers t-tops for parts.
I think it might be hard to sell these to guys that already have ttops, but to guys doing the conversion it would be alot more appealing.
As always good work Mark!
We were going to make a cheaper latching mechanism but we still need factory rubber for where the window meets it and at the end of the day it is just a choice to make the highest quality possible, as cheaply as possible, but still understanding this isn't for everyone...
Old 12-16-2008, 02:37 AM
Banned

Main thing on this particular product is Neil and I simply wanted it for our cars. We're paying more than you guys would be because we are paying for tooling, start up etc... Heck, my carbon fiber guy is even taking a hit and is in the negative to see this happen.

This isn't a product I'd bend over backwards to sell since the profit margin is the lowest one I have. However I do want to make sure it sells enough to keep my cf guy busy (at least until our 5th Gen hood is ready)...

I consider this our ZR1. We didn't make it to sell to everyone. We made it to show what we can do and draw you into our other cheaper products (carbon fiber and otherwise). However, for those who can afford it we want to make sure it is one helluva deal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UPDATE: Targa roof is close to production...