Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

DDM HID/ Sonar Projector questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DDM HID/ Sonar Projector questions

Ok I've done some searching and I still have a few questions.. I am new to the HID world. I want to upgrade the headlights on my 2000 SS.

1. You have to order different kits for both your High Beam and Low Beam bulbs correct?

2. Do you order the same type of bulb that you would if you were staying stock such as a 9006 HID bulb?

3. What is your guys favorite color from DDM. I was thinking about the 6000k?

4. Is there any trick to getting the HID bulb's to fit in the Sonar projector's from Ebay?

5. 35 watt of 55 watt?

6. What is the f body trick where you have to reverse the polarity for the HID's?

Thanks for any and all input
Old 08-18-2010, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1. You have to order different kits for both your High Beam and Low Beam bulbs correct?

Correct, 2 kits needed for both High beam and Low beam

2. Do you order the same type of bulb that you would if you were staying stock such as a 9006 HID bulb?

Correct, 9006 for lows, 9005 for highs.

6000k is mostly white with a slight hint of blue depending on how you look at it. It is what I have and what I recommend.

4. Is there any trick to getting the HID bulb's to fit in the Sonar projector's from Ebay?

I have no experience with the Sonars.

5. 35 watt of 55 watt?

Might as well get 55w now. I had 35w and I am upgrading to 55w. Just make sure your cutoff is appropriately placed.

6. What is the f body trick where you have to reverse the polarity for the HID's?

Plug it in one way, and try it. If it doesn't work, flip it around.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Thanks so much for your reply, very helpful. I'm open to suggestions for the projectors. What are you running? Keep in mind I'm trying to keep somewhat of a budget. I am also undecided on black or chrome projectors. I have a pewter ss. Decisions decisions.....
Old 08-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by djfury05

Correct, 9006 for lows, 9005 for highs.
Correction: Buy the bulbs that fit the housings you have. If you buy the Sonar projector housings, they use H1 bulbs and you'll need to get an H1 HID kit.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

And all projector's will come with the specification of what bulb you need I'm guessing?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
Correction: Buy the bulbs that fit the housings you have. If you buy the Sonar projector housings, they use H1 bulbs and you'll need to get an H1 HID kit.
ahh yea I didn't know that... I just used them in my stock housings.. good info
Old 08-18-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The low beams for the Sonars are an H1, and the highs transferred from stock.

No the bulb for the Sonars are an H1

I got a 6000k do a search under my name I just made a thread with pics...i like the 6000ks I almost want to buy a 4500k to see how good the light output is

The DDM H1 bulbs are a little bigger than the regular H1 bulbs so you have to bend the retaining clip a little bit...nothing too crazy

5. 35 watt of 55 watt?

I got the 35 watt kit because i heard bad things about putting a 55w HID bulb in those housings

I didnt have to do anything...they just hooked up like normal.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Few more questions:

What would happen If I ran the HID kit with the stock headlight housing for awhile?

Also, can you buy a kit for high beam, low beam, and also fogs?

I hear a lot of people only talking about low beam and fogs. How come not many do high beams?

If you do do the fog lights, can you use the stock fog light housing or do you have to buy an aftermarket housing?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gfeller2006
Few more questions:

What would happen If I ran the HID kit with the stock headlight housing for awhile?

Also, can you buy a kit for high beam, low beam, and also fogs?

I hear a lot of people only talking about low beam and fogs. How come not many do high beams?

If you do do the fog lights, can you use the stock fog light housing or do you have to buy an aftermarket housing?

If you ran it on the stock housing, you'll **** people off for not having a cutoff. It'll be like running an HID at high beam even though its in the "low beam side" of the stock headlight housing. Do it right and get projector headlights.

I bought a HID kit for my lows and fogs only. The 880 bulb is what you want for the fog lights, it will fit in the stock fog housing. Make sure you only get the 35W for the fogs, the 55W will melt your housing.

After putting HID in the lows, there's no need for high beams anymore. It lights up the road real nicely. You could get the highs and it'll be bright but not sure if its worth it.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Reason for no HIDs in high beams is they don't like being turned on and off a lot. Also there is a couple second warm up period for HIDs when first turned on so they aren't well suited for high beams.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

very helpful input thanks. It sounds like if you have the 55w low beam HID kit they are so bright there is really no reason for high beams. Sounds awesome. You can get away with an HID kit and projector's for a fairly decent price it seems.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I still like using high beams on back roads and such because it lights up the full vertical spectrum, and also a little wider too. I've commented that I'm a little disappointed with the design of the high beam reflector, appearance-wise, but it does work VERY well.

Quick Reply: DDM HID/ Sonar Projector questions