Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Blue gauges in TA

Old 10-27-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z95m6
Just go to www.superbrightleds.com and get them from there. You don't need any resistors and all you have to do is get a few sockets from autozone and you are set for life.

Originally Posted by thetastelingers
or
http://www.Oznium.com
for LEDs and resistors
lots of colors and sizes
I got mine there.
Thanks for the links guys! These'll come in handy!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kraaazymike
For the gauges, i spent ~$38 shipped. the gauges dont need anything else just plug and play. For the LED's $2 for resistors and I havent found a good supplier for LED's yet, so I'm still paying way too much for them ($3.40 a piece @ 7 LED's) at a local electronics store. Most people buy them in bulk for like $50 for a couple hundred LED's or something like that.
Damn they went back up! for awhile there were down to $9!! man was i miffed! Glad their back up.. sorta!
Old 10-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Who has done the take the stock overlay off and scrape the red film away for their T/A?
I have gotten Everything apart and am at the point where I am looking at the back of the gauge overlay trying to figure out the best way to remove all the red (nailpolish remover, etc.).
I did a search a while back and came across a post where someone had suggested that this was the only way to do the led thing with a Firebird, using the stock gauge overlay. I never read on how this was accomplished.
I will try some goo gone or nailpolish remover tonight and see if that works.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
By the way, what if you had already taken off the gauge needles?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

I just made a quick little write up on changing the door lights to LED if anyone cares... http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/foru...showtopic=5564
Old 12-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

All right, I figured it out!!!

here are some pics of a real Blue T/A gauge cluster

Stock overlay with the red off! Pics don't show how blue it really is.
I will try to host pictures in the future.

Check it.
Attached Thumbnails Blue gauges in TA-pict0050emailsize.jpg   Blue gauges in TA-pict0029emailsize.jpg  
Old 12-28-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

What did you use to take the red off?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

I tried about 10 different things from paint thinner to goo gone to scraping/sanding.
I unded up dipping a Q-tip in Acetone, and after a few seconds, the red started smearing off.
The back of the overlay has the sticky film all over. When I first used the Acetone, it took a little longer to 'eat' through the film and get to the red (which came off almost instantly).
This proved to be messy, since the Acetone had time to spread out and soften a large area of glue before it actually dissolved the glue where I was wiping.
I wanted to keep as much of the sticky as I could for re-assembly, so I decided to use a razor and cut the sticky film just around where the red parts would be (a lot of cutting), and scrape the glue away before the Acetone part. You can't really tell in the picture, but it worked pretty good.
I was wondering if I should do a write-up, but since it was such a pain, I wouldn't want to put anyone through the process!!
I had gotten too far into tearing everything apart and just decided to go for it.
There are a couple of dim areas, but I'm not going to tear it apart anytime soon to fix it! It looke like there was some 'engineered shading' on the back of the overlay before I Acetoned eveything. I'm sure it had evened out the brightness a little. Oh well.

I will eventually convert the rest of what I can to blue.
I will keep everyone updated

By the way, I used the blue WLED-5LED bulbs (194 type) from superbrightleds. I had tried the single blue, but they weren't as bright and they didn't dim with the rest of the dash lights(just turned off after a certain point).
Old 12-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

You said that the SES light comes on because thats where the high beam indicator is located on the Trans Am. Is there anything to light up where the SES light is, if so what is it?
Thanks,
Brad
Old 09-02-2010, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kraaazymike
After some deliberating I finally decided to try to turn the interior blue from red. I know a lot of people say that it can't be done as there is red film yadda yadda. But after reading InfiniteReality's write up I decided to have a go. Thanks for the write up! Still gotta change out the headlight and HVAC overlays but the speedo and stereo controls are done Sorry if its hard to see during the day. If anyone is interested Ill take some night pics too when it gets dark. Heres a link to his site http://www.evlls1.com/interiorlighting.html

There is only one problem with using Camaro gauges in a TA, where the TA has the service light, the Camaro has the highbeam indicator. So whenever the car starts, I see an orange "service" light come on through the highbeam oh well... you win some you lose some.
i have a 2002 ws6 and a 99-2002 camaro gauge is an exact replacement fit and all the lights and symbols match up, bringing this back from dead in case anyone else stumbles acrossed it. my bro works for GM and informed me that as long as it is not 98 gauges then all is good.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dam I wanna try this but it's temping
Old 09-02-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks real good

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blue gauges in TA