Sorry, link is fixed now.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what mcd should be uses for the led's?
Old 12-09-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

is there no one that offers this yet, I think you could make some money doing this? 6LE should do it or something?
Old 12-09-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrob56
is there no one that offers this yet, I think you could make some money doing this? 6LE should do it or something?
lol, we're, check that, ....He's already looking into it. A coupe of guys have already gone to red halos, and a couple of others have made LED taillights....it's all very interesting.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would what I even offer? There is a great write-up already... You just need LEDs and time.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sommer86
lol, we're, check that, ....He's already looking into it. A coupe of guys have already gone to red halos, and a couple of others have made LED taillights....it's all very interesting.
I think you read this post wrong Mike. What we talked about on my forum is not this. This is just taking Halos and changing the LED color like Jorge did...
Old 12-09-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
I think you read this post wrong Mike. What we talked about on my forum is not this. This is just taking Halos and changing the LED color like Jorge did...
yup...all i did was pop open my halos and replaced the LEDs with red ones...the write up on how to do it is already on this site
Old 12-10-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

i was just curious if someone already offered the halo headlight with other colors? i have always been a little worried about putting headlights in an oven, never messed with electronics, and worried about getting them sealed up well when im done.

Would what I even offer? There is a great write-up already... You just need LEDs and time.
i just thought it might be a good way to make some money if no one offered anything but the blue halos. seems like you could contact the manufacturer and order them that way. if its that easy to change them, then it would be even easier for a manufacturer of the lights to change them...i just threw it out there
Old 12-10-2008, 12:29 AM
Banned

i was just curious if someone already offered the halo headlight with other colors? i have always been a little worried about putting headlights in an oven, never messed with electronics, and worried about getting them sealed up well when im done.

i just thought it might be a good way to make some money if no one offered anything but the blue halos. seems like you could contact the manufacturer and order them that way. if its that easy to change them, then it would be even easier for a manufacturer of the lights to change them...i just threw it out there
Gotcha. Actually a company did offer them and no one really bought them because of the added expense...
Old 12-10-2008, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Gotcha. Actually a company did offer them and no one really bought them because of the added expense...
Well that sucks I missed it, o well I guess eventually Im gonna have to learn how to solder lol
Old 05-06-2009, 06:47 AM
On The Tree

Question Where to get red led

Where did you guys pick up your red led bulbs. I'm trying the car stores around me (autozone, autobarn, sk speed, advanced auto) and none of them sell just the led bulbs. The only place that i can find is radio shack, but they sell low mcd leds (600 or something like that). Did you guys get them on-line or at a store that I'm just blanking on?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

I got 3000mcd from radio shack in mine. Ebay has good deals too.

this is 300mcd:
Old 09-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

Hello, I was wondering if someone could send me this write up. The link is broken and not showing up. ghostrider_Z28@yahoo.com.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:00 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry gents I'm afraid I deleted the PDF from my site and can't find a local copy. I haven't been here in forever (my old vette now doesn't have a LS1 lol) and totally forgot why I had it on my site. If anyone has it saved locally send it to me and I'll rehost.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:10 PM

does no one have the write up?
Old 10-17-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Here i come to save the daaayyy!!!!!

alright the good news is that i printed this writeup out when i was planning on doing it this summer. so its still alive.

Bad news is that my lung collapsed again right when i was gonna do it so the writeup sat in my garage and now is missing all but the first two pages, but its better than nothing. Im gonna try to get in touch with EvilbadZ to see if he can fill in the gaps and then ill do this and take pictures for a new writeup.

I tried to scan this in but it didnt work, so im just gonna have to type it out. gay.

YOU WILL NEED:
  • Oven w/temp control
  • Butter Knives
  • Clear RTV gasket maker, silicon
  • various screwdrivers
  • cutting pliers
  • wire strippers
  • soldering iron
  • solder
  • 4 5mm LEDs of the color you choose
  • 2 resistors, one for each pair of LEDs. What resistor you need will depend on the LEDs you buy. For ours, we needed a 330ohm resistor for each pair but yours will almost certainly be different. A GREAT website for helping you find out what resistor you need is http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz. Enter 13 for the source voltage, for the diode foward voltage and diode foward current you will need to enter the values from the LEDs you bought. They should be listed as Vf for foward voltage of something similar, and the foward current will be listed in milliamps (mA). Enter 2 for the number of LEDs in your array and click the box that says "help with resistor color codes" then click "design my array." You should get something like "R=330 ohms" although the number may very. Below that it should say something like the "the wizard says the color code for 330 is orange orange brown" this is the color resistor you need to look for to work with your LEDs.
  • Electrical tape or heat shrink tubing
  • Superglue and or hot glue will help

INSTRUCTIONS:
  • First you will need to remove the halos from the car if they are already installed.

After the halos are removed, remove both bulbs from the back of the housing (Make sure not to touch these bulbs) and remember which goes where. The bulbs will probably have different color o rings around their base.
  • remove the 4 metal clips from each headlight. you can pry them off with a small flat head screwdriver.
  • preheat oven to 200*F
  • After oven is 200*, place both headlightsin the oven for 20 minutes. you can put both headlights in at the same if your oven is big enough.
  • when the 20 minutes is up, remove the headlights from the oven and use a butter-knife to separate the lens from from the plastic housing. They will still be stuck together with a grey gasket/glue substance but you should be able to get them apart with the butter knife. don't try to go too fast or use too much pressure as you may break the lens or housing, just take your time and they will come apart.
  • Once the parts are separated, you should see that the "halos" are actually normal headlight housings with a plastic insert that separate the 2 bulb areas into 3 and the plastic ring in the middle.

And thats all ive got guys, if youve got anything else to contribute go ahead. Ive got this saved as a word doc and can email it if you need. but i cant find anything after that. Im trying to get caught up with EvilbadZ, as this is his work and mabye he can help us out. but all hope is not lost!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

i always wanted to know how to do this
Old 11-03-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I have the pdf file. If someone wants to host it I will email it to that person.

For now here are the instructions in jpg format. Hope this helps.

Last edited by The Guz; 11-03-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Launching!

i used red 3000mcd led's from radio shack in the halo headlights and needed the orange orange brown gold resistors (330ohm 1/2watt 5% tolerance) which i also found at radio shack, and are still working..more than likely if you do this mod you will also need the same type of resistor.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:49 AM
Staging Lane

Okay....I'm willing to pay someone to hold my hand forthis :/
I have stock headlights on a 2000z28

I want to have the red halos, like in this guide, that can be controlled by a switch

I also want the black background like the headlights being used

I also want the high and low beams be bright, that white color.

So...would like, I be able to have these red things run by a switch, and still be able to have low and high beams in HID form? I am really lost here guys, all I know is I want the red halos with black background, also want bright hid headlights, either that or blue rings for high and low beams, whichever would be easier or cheaper...
Please help lol

Quick Reply: [How-To/Write Up] Changing the Color of Your Halo Headlights