Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Write-Up: How to install seatbelt guides onto MRC/Arizen/Recaro seats...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Write-Up: How to install seatbelt guides onto MRC/Arizen/Recaro seats...

EDIT: Go here for updates/questions... http://6litereaterdesigns.com/forum/...php?topic=35.0

Yup, I finally got bored enough to mess with it

For awhile I just taped them on there (through the harness holes) and then I used a velcro strap...

Well, after MUCH procrastination I took a trip to the hardware store to brainstorm. My first, COMPLICATED, idea turned out to be overkill so I scratched it and went with the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method...

It turns out it is VERY EASY to mount seatbelt guides to these seats... There is a bar underneath the cloth you can screw into but it is 1/2" under the surface so you have to add spacers so that it looks right and so the guide has something to tighten on to... Here's how:

First you need supplies... ALL YOU NEED are screws and a couple of spacers !!!

Here's what I bought (I bought new screws because I have no clue where my originals might be):

You will also need a drill with a metal drill bit, slightly smaller than the screws you use, and a razor blade.

The spacer was the shortest I could find in a diameter only slightly larger than the screw so I just bought it and cut it in half with my Dremel (you need it to be between 1/4" and 1/2"):

The first step is to mark the holes in the leather. I put the seatbelt guide up and pushed it hard into the leather so I could feel the metal bar underneath. Once I knew it was in place and over the bar I drilled a couple of small holes in the leather (easier than marking it and you're going to drill it anyways):

The next step involves drilling holes into a VERY ROUND bar... MAJOR PITA! I stuck a screw up against the bar and hammered it hard (trying to make a dimple)...

...and then followed it with a file that I hammered into it (I don't have a punch/awl)...

...and then I SLOWLY (so it wouldn't slip off) drilled my holes:

Next I checked to see the screws (metal screws I bought) tightened into the holes and they did:

Next you have to make the holes in the leather SLIGHTLY larger so that you can put the spacers in. I used a razor blade to cut a small slit on the top of the bottom hole and the bottom of the top hole (this way all cuts/holes in the leather are covered by the seatbelt guide, just like factory):

Then you push your spaceres in (not all the way, don't want to loose them):

Put the guide up, put the screws through and screw it in:

Here's the finished products:

Mine's actually NOT finished... My screws are about 1/2"-1/4" TOO LONG and it tightens but it doesn't tighten the guide against the spacers and push them back under the leather yet:

Nothing a trip to the hardware store tommorrow won't fix

Anyways, just figured I would post this up so I would stop getting PM's EVERY day saying, "Did you mount your guides yet?"

I guess I was the only one with ***** enough to be the first to cut their own leather

Alright you kids, now go out there, install yours and post some pics

Last edited by 6LITEREATER; 10-11-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, cool...
Old 04-29-2007, 11:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by toofazt
Lol, cool...
Steve, I bought an extra set of spacers for you if you want to do it to yours...
Old 04-29-2007, 11:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Steve, I bought an extra set of spacers for you if you want to do it to yours...
I may have too then...
Old 04-30-2007, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

lesson learned: buy a center punch/scratch awl/some sort of punching tool

good job on being the first to do something!! always feels good doesnt it?
Old 04-30-2007, 02:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hawk232
good job on being the first to do something!! always feels good doesnt it?
Gets old after awhile... I'd rather copy someone else and not have to have the, "Oh ****, what did I just do..." factor with every mod (if you search you'll see I've done a lot of chopping things up)

Still haven't topped that "oh ****" feeling as when I first cut the roof off of my hardtop 1994 Z in the parking lot of my college apartment complex with a skill saw in 1999...

I was the first (on camaroz28 at least which was the only really major board at the time) and did it only after seeing the underside of a hardtop in a junkyard...

Little harder to get up the nerve to do something like that blind as opposed to nowadays where there are countless online web pages to walk you through it
Old 04-30-2007, 07:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up! I had rigged mine up with tape like your original plan...once the car is back from the shop bein tuned I'll give this method a try. Do you think Corbeau's have a metal bar around that area also?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02EBZO6
Great write up! I had rigged mine up with tape like your original plan...once the car is back from the shop bein tuned I'll give this method a try. Do you think Corbeau's have a metal bar around that area also?
I'm sure they would have to... Try to find a website that shows a pic of their frame. Arizen used to have a pic of ours and that's what I had remembered.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:59 PM
FormerVendor

I'm sure they would have to... Try to find a website that shows a pic of their frame. Arizen used to have a pic of ours and that's what I had remembered.
Do you still have the picture of the frame?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by toofazt
Do you still have the picture of the frame?
Couldn't find it on their site anymore...
Old 04-30-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but if you have a roll bar, and those excellent seats made for harness setup - why oh why use the factory seat belts - why not go with harness setup?

I still have the factory seats, but a Wolfe 6-pt I couldn't wait to get rid of the stock belts and put the harnesses in - even with the stock seats.

I like the harness setup because during 'normal' driving I can wear only the lap belt and technically still be legal as far as to wearing seatbelt - but don't have to put up with the annoying stock shoulder harness.

During 'abnormal' driving - I use the entire harness setup for more security.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Not trying to be a smart a$$, but if you have a roll bar, and those excellent seats made for harness setup - why oh why use the factory seat belts - why not go with harness setup?

I still have the factory seats, but a Wolfe 6-pt I couldn't wait to get rid of the stock belts and put the harnesses in - even with the stock seats.

I like the harness setup because during 'normal' driving I can wear only the lap belt and technically still be legal as far as to wearing seatbelt - but don't have to put up with the annoying stock shoulder harness.

During 'abnormal' driving - I use the entire harness setup for more security.
I bought the seats and bar with intentions of harnesses... ALTHOUGH, it's a daily driver and apparently it's illegal to use harnesses on the street. I know, it makes no sense...

I get pulled over enough in this tree-hugging hippie state I didn't want to give them another reason .
Old 04-30-2007, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the seats and bar with intentions of harnesses... ALTHOUGH, it's a daily driver and apparently it's illegal to use harnesses on the street. I know, it makes no sense...

I get pulled over enough in this tree-hugging hippie state I didn't want to give them another reason .
Yeah thats what I heard too. Illegal to use harnesses and/or remove the stock belts. Strange
Old 05-01-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up Deamond...I especially like teh rusty file..is that a speciality tool...
Old 05-04-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Regular

do you have more pics of those seats??

they look really nice!!
Old 05-04-2007, 02:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SOULPOWER
do you have more pics of those seats??

they look really nice!!
I have posted them in a crapload of other threads... Search my name and MRC or Mad Racing Concepts...
Old 05-04-2007, 04:37 AM
Launching!

Get a set of Schroth ASM harnesses. They have the reel action like stock belts, but are 3 or 4 pnt harness? plus they have a switch you can mount to lock out the retraction of the belts for racing. Plus, They are DOT approved. I had to show the cop the stupid little tag while i was in Cali visiting a few years back. Saw it, and said Cool...
Old 05-04-2007, 04:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nite_Hawk
Get a set of Schroth ASM harnesses. They have the reel action like stock belts, but are 3 or 4 pnt harness? plus they have a switch you can mount to lock out the retraction of the belts for racing. Plus, They are DOT approved. I had to show the cop the stupid little tag while i was in Cali visiting a few years back. Saw it, and said Cool...
Thanks for the advice but it's a little late for me... Already have holes in the leather where I mounted the guides for the stock belts
Old 05-04-2007, 04:48 AM
Launching!

Yeah...Sorry bout that...If buy chance you get some. Look for the black magic ones. All black w/black lettering. Regular is Black/yellow lettering Red/Black lettering Blue/Black lettering.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nite_Hawk
Yeah...Sorry bout that...If buy chance you get some. Look for the black magic ones. All black w/black lettering. Regular is Black/yellow lettering Red/Black lettering Blue/Black lettering.
I had a set of silver ones w/black lettering that where custom made. Matched the paint on my V-dub widebody.

Quick Reply: Write-Up: How to install seatbelt guides onto MRC/Arizen/Recaro seats...