Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Saving one from the crusher, my Ws6 Rebuild, Paint, Recaros and more

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Saving one from the crusher, my Ws6 Rebuild, Paint, Recaros and more

Hey guys, Heres a little backround on my latest project car i picked up may of last year. Basically i got lucky and found this car really cheap on fbody.com, but belive me when i say i got what i paid for.

My dad has been building high performance cars, and engines for about 45 years now, and i do high end custom paint and body work, i make them show, he makes them go.

Here she is day one with my dad Love ya dad, nobody builds them better then us.

What we have here is a real 96 ws6 formula. I lost the pics i had of the interior highlighting the neons, red cd player, red shift ****, various wiring for 2 sets of fog lights, about 50 pounds of stereo wiring that ran mostly through the door jamb. The car was also missing the headliner, visors, had holes drilled in center console, missing shift boot and console lid, and had several electrical problems, Ses light, bald tires, frozen brakes, ect ect. She was a real clunker, but it was bone stock, and ripe for a rebuild. Im glad i got to her before somebody took her for the engine and tranny

Here we have my broken passanger door, held together with silicone, and wood screws on the outside of the door. **** was custom and looked totally professional

smashed in rocker and fender

dented quarters on both sides, and a matching bruised up driver door.. Terrible repair, all this is comming off for sure

Not wanting to miss out on some summer cruising, i gutted the interior, Rewired and put in a new stereo, and cleaned it all up, looked alot better but far from perfect, but i was ghetto cruising

Stock wiring sucks, and all my cars have trunk mounted batteries and tucked engine bay wiring, heres dad working his wiring magic on another car.

and here it is mocked up in the trunk

And with the old ratty carpet installed

The car needed a Ps pump, so while i was at it i did a 160 thermo, and sand blasted and painted all my brackets, pullies, and alt in base/clear. This setup was replaced with a custom low mount ps/ alt setup

The black spray painted rims looked like hell, and made this thing look even worse then it did already, so i refinished them to spruce it up a bit

Eibach prokit with the new painted rims, looks good from far away, but i the paint on this car is shot everywhere, and the maaco respray with runs on the passanger side looked really good.

Then we installed some pacesetter coated race long tubes, sphon control arms, and delteq ignition.

After beatin on her for a whole summer, it was time to tear it apart, Here the hood is all done, and the driver quarter is roughed out. The factory fiberglass parts are very wavy, i dont even want to know how much time i have in the doors, hood, and hatch, but i doubt youll ever find a straighter car then mine.

Pass quarter roughed out, Shaved antenna, and test fitting rear bumper to get my gaps perfect, again factory cars are lacking in fit and finish, this seperates the respray jobs from my car

Final prime of quarters and top, a sign of things to come. The hatch, doors, rear bumper and side skirts came from my buddies 30K car he parted out, again lots of work straighting them out

Last edited by glocklimited9; 08-04-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wet sand wet sand wet sand

Tape lines are for amatuers, getting ready for some sealer and some color

gettin ready for my ceta, Tinted lights and emblems

Vht nite shades is for the average joe, i used clear with some black in it to do all my lights, and ws6 emblem to match

I got a basically all brand new interior, brand new black headliner with no seatbelt holes, custom black visors with gray sticting, leather shift, ebrake, and console cover with red stitching, new black carpet, no back seat, and cut out rear seat brackets for smooth look, White gauge overlays, carbon fiber radio bezel, and dash trim and center console sprayed in Rallye black, same color as my ceta. Shes getting a pro 5.0, billet *****, and sparco pedals this winter

Cant forget my recaro seats with diest 5 point harnesses

Shes gettin bigger, time to put in my alum ds, meziere with powerder coated gray housing, custom pully setup, and other odds and ends

New shoes, Tt2s with Mich pilot sport 315s, I rolled the fenders to the extreme before i painted it and plan to stuf some 335s on the back when these are done, I have a full bmr suspension, and zo6 brake kit going on this winter, but i just wanted to drive it this summer first

You sexy bitch, Just ordered my Gmmg and Mecham Power oval tips

Smoked lights, and Bi- Xenons with hella free forms

I have tons more done to the car, and i know you guys are gonna ask about engine bay pics, those are gonna have to wait as shes gettin a forged big cube motor and some serious forced induction, t56 and Fab 9in to back up the mean looks. Of course im tucking all the wires, and smoothing the enginebay, removing ac, and spraying it rallyle black.

The car is extremly detailed, all bolts, locks, and trim, and underhood hinges and brackets were powdercoated in semi flat black, and i have polshed allen head bolts for fenders and the hood.

Last edited by glocklimited9; 05-09-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

looks amazing!!! love the color!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I gotta load up a bunch More pics, the ones above the car isnt even cleaned up or had it final polish yet.

I also forgot to mention the whole underside of the car was powerwashed, and scuffed and i sprayed some por 15 on everything, same with the front sub frame. The inside is all rhinolined, and the interior crevaces are filled with Audi Crash foam, The car doesnt rattle at all, and no matter where you look you would never be able to tell the car was red.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You and your dad are a great combo, that car looks great now. Can't wait to see it when you have the new motor and trans in the car.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks like a rattle can job to me absolutely beatiful job, im in the process of doing this myself but i doubt mine will look half as nice as yours
Old 08-07-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

That GMMG is gonna sound nasty on the LT1. That car looks sick but I think it makes it even cooler knowing where it started and how you brought it back... :rockon:
Old 08-07-2008, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

OMG! that looks so good! nice work. one of my favorite T/A's with out a doubt!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazing transformation and looks like great work.

Btw, I forget but did I sell you those headlights? They look great on the car. How do you like them?

-Brian
Old 08-07-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow great work, car is amazing and so is the paint
Old 08-07-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow it looks really really awesome! One question though, if it was a real ws6 formula, then why convert it into a Trans-Am? Those cars a beautiful the way they are, and in the color you painted the car it could have looked intense. Nice car non-the-less, simply amazing.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

amazing... want to fix up my camaro?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

looks damn good nice job i really like that color
Old 08-07-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn bro! prob my fav lt1 T/A

awesome work! mad props!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
Wow it looks really really awesome! One question though, if it was a real ws6 formula, then why convert it into a Trans-Am? Those cars a beautiful the way they are, and in the color you painted the car it could have looked intense. Nice car non-the-less, simply amazing.
That was my thought, LT1 WS6 Formula's are RARE, I would have kept it a Formula. Looks INCREDIBLE though, great job and I love the color!!!

EDIT: I'm not familiar with Audi Crash foam, where did you apply it and I guess it just hardens around certain pieces to keep them in place?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

awesome build man!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

sick! beautiful color
Old 08-07-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

holy *****.

VERY impressive!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

^^ beautiful car, i woulda kept the "rare" factor and kept the dumdumdumdumdum look.
but damn beautiful car nonetheless
Old 08-07-2008, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn awesome work man.

Congrats on the new car.

Quick Reply: Saving one from the crusher, my Ws6 Rebuild, Paint, Recaros and more