Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Venting the bypass??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venting the bypass??

A couple of my friends told me that i could get the blowoff sound just by unhooking my resurculation hose and pluging the blower side, well i did this and right when i started the car it ran like crap and backfired and would barely idel, so i put it back to the way it was and now it runs fine, why would it do that. If i were to get the HKS SQ blowoff valve wouldnt it run like crap also because it doesnt resurculate?
Old 01-04-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the ATI or any other blowthrough maf setup, yes, you can use bypass valves open to get a turbo whooosh sound.

... on a vortech setup... NO, you are venting metered air, and that is a NO NO

Ryan
Old 01-04-2004, 07:09 PM
chronic masturbator

what i did on my powerdnye is put the maf on the pressure side after the blowoff valve and it works fine for me runs fine aswell

hope that helps
Gary
Old 01-04-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes, that will not meter vented air, so you will be fine.

it is not possible with a standard vortech setup to get a blowthrough maf setup, due to the shape of the piping.

Ryan.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, there is a company called "go fast bits" and they make a BOV for an eclipse that resurculates and vents at the same time, its adjustable so u can regulate how much goes back to the motor and how much it vets. would this work??
Old 01-06-2004, 10:21 AM
I ruin the end of films...

Venting metered air is a BIG no-no. Think of it this way...the MAF reads X amount of air coming through the sensor. When your bypass opens after that and lets 1/2 the metered air out, the ECM will be adding fuel for X amount of air, when you're actually only getting 1/2 of X, making it pig rich.

Move the MAF to the pressurized side (after turbo/supercharger) and you won't have any problems.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

that sounds interesting, but i can't see any reason to use it at all, in any setup.

Venting is done when you have unmetered air, pressurized.

and recirculating is done when you have metered air, or around an intercooler at idle.

either way, i don't see that device being used on a maf car. Might be used on a speed density vehicle,

Ryan.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys, i think i will just leave it the way it is, i kinda like having a sleeper, or i might move the MAF to the other side of the blower. Will that effect the performance at all, also can i upgrade to an LS6 MAF?
Old 01-06-2004, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

you will not want a ls6 maf, due to no screen, if your going to have the maf blowthrough with a large bend right before it. you will want all the help you can get to straighten the airflow for proper readings.

Good luck, i have toyed around with building a pro charger style box, so i can do a blowthrough maf on my vortech install, but can't find a suitable way to relocate the incoming air to the blower, without just installing a K&N on the back side.

Ryan
Old 01-06-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Blown98. I use a Apexi blow off valve. I have it setup just the way you described. I plugged the hole in the tube and put the bov were the bypass valve was. Those stock bypass valves suck. they leak pressure. If you were not idleing right your stock bypass valve is probably leaking. I have a link below to some pics of the Blow off valve.
It does go rich when the valve is venting. But never at idle. I have had the bov on there for about a year and half. It sounds very good when venting. I have had several intimidation kills with it.

http://community.webshots.com/user/30thta436
Old 01-08-2004, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just curious if over time using using an External BOV and dumping metered air. Will that affect your LTFT's? It seem like every time you shift you'd go rich and really confuse the PCM so it would probably try to pull Fuel but then when your driving at lower speeds things return to normal. Sorta like a ping pong effect.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 30thta436
Blown98. I use a Apexi blow off valve. I have it setup just the way you described. I plugged the hole in the tube and put the bov were the bypass valve was. Those stock bypass valves suck. they leak pressure. If you were not idleing right your stock bypass valve is probably leaking. I have a link below to some pics of the Blow off valve.
It does go rich when the valve is venting. But never at idle. I have had the bov on there for about a year and half. It sounds very good when venting. I have had several intimidation kills with it.

http://community.webshots.com/user/30thta436
Intimidation kills

I run an ATI race BOV right after the D1. Very loud when the boost lets go. When your friendly competition can hear the blow off over their stereo system they usually just tuck in behind.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

The only time it idles bad is when i plug that hole and try to vent, when i have it set up like normal it runs fine. So can i run and BOV and just plug that hole and it will run fine or should i just stick with what i have????
Old 01-13-2004, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blown98
The only time it idles bad is when i plug that hole and try to vent, when i have it set up like normal it runs fine. So can i run and BOV and just plug that hole and it will run fine or should i just stick with what i have????

do you have any pictures of your setup Blown98? here's a couple of mine, I've got the HKS SSQV i like the way it sounds. after I put the BOV on mine, it made no difference in the way the car ran. I've been having trouble with my vortech since I intalled it, I've tried 2 bypass valves, and this BOV, but they all run the same. Are you sure you were getting the bypass hole plugged good? did you leave the vacuum hose on the bypass valve?
Old 01-13-2004, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Ya i do have pictures, go to the website that is in my Sig. Ill just have to get a BOV and test it and ill let you know how it works. Also how did you get the
BOV to mount to the aftercooler, does it come with a mounting plate or do i make one?
Old 01-13-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i ran a ssqv bov on my old turbo set up for a long time, no problems.. pull through maf and vent air to atmosphere... you just have to get a blow off valve and not a bypass valve like you have now.. they do different things.. a bypass is open at any vaccum.. so if you disconnect the recirculation you cut off the maf as the air source.. a bov is open only during vaccum greater than idle vaccum.. recirculation or to atmosphere it will not 'bypass' the maf at idle/part throttle..

upon comming out of boost it does vent metered air to atmosphere, and creates a slight rich condition.. but nothing myself or anyone else i have talked to on an ls1 have any problems with.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blown98
Ya i do have pictures, go to the website that is in my Sig. Ill just have to get a BOV and test it and ill let you know how it works. Also how did you get the
BOV to mount to the aftercooler, does it come with a mounting plate or do i make one?
I bought the universial fit, so it didn't come with anything to mount it with, my brother cut me some mounting brackets that use the existing holes on the back of the aftercooler. any metal worker/welder should be able to make a simple bracket.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

cool thanks, ill look into the ssq soon.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Wouldn't venting a Procharger help keep the blower cooler??
Old 04-20-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

yes,

i am switching my setup over from pull to push and will be venting my bypass.

another member saw a 40 degree drop in cruise inlet temps by venting the bypass to the atmosphere.

only drawback is there is a constant sound of whooshing air

Quick Reply: Venting the bypass??