Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Why or why not carb intake w/elbow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why or why not carb intake w/elbow?

Don't want to throw the $$$ down for a fast so I was looking at a edelbrock vic jr intake with a low elbow. Car is 00 SS 6 speed with cnc'd 5.3 heads, headers, full exhaust with cutouts, 4.10's, and cam yet to be picked. Will I pickup more horsepower with the carb intake over the LS6 that I have?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ss6speeder
Don't want to throw the $$$ down for a fast so I was looking at a edelbrock vic jr intake with a low elbow. Car is 00 SS 6 speed with cnc'd 5.3 heads, headers, full exhaust with cutouts, 4.10's, and cam yet to be picked. Will I pickup more horsepower with the carb intake over the LS6 that I have?
How much cam?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:19 AM
Staging Lane

I haven't got Pat G to spec one yet, I was waiting until I knew exactly what intake I was going to choose but I wouldnt think it'd be over a .610 lift
Old 01-17-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00ss6speeder
Before you get too carried away with this thought, do some research. I'm not saying you haven't, but there are many things to consider. I personally was in the same position about a year ago. I ended up going with a Super Vic EFI setup and it actually ended up being almost as expensive and a lot more labor intensive. If you do decide to go with the elbow, it will not be as hard as my setup was to install.

First let me say that I have seen numerous threads on here where the low elbow totally killed the power. One guy even claimed a 50 hp gain by switching from a low elbow setup, to a 4150 style throttle body. Personally I don't have any experience with the elbow, except to say that I had one and ended up selling it before I installed it after reading up on what others had to say.

you could probably pick up a good used fast for around 5-700. Whereas a Vic Jr or Super Vic setup will cost you 300-350 for the manifold, another ~$100 or so for the fuel rails, about $50-75 for misc plumbing and fittings for the Fuel lines, Brake booster and vaccuum lines and don't forget the elbow coming in somwhere around $150 depending on what one you go with. If you want a sheetmetal elbow like a few others have on here it will cost around 250-300 for that one. Also some single plane intakes do not have provisions for the o-ring gaskets and you may need to buy a set of intake gaskets for it if the manifold doesn't come with them.

You will need a throttle body with either you decide to go with. figure that cost somwhere around $300-500 depending on which one and style you buy.

Also in order to get the most out of a single plane intake you would benefit to get a cam that is better suited to a single plane with a wider split and lower LSA. For example, the cam I am installing this winter has much different specs than a standard cam designed for a composite intake. my previous cam is the torquer II with specs of 234/236 .595/.598 on a 112 LSA. My new cam is an EPS Single plane cam with specs of 236/248 .617/.617 on a 108 LSA. granted my new cam is definately on the extreme for a stock displacement LS1, but it is just an example.
Even with the Super vic and 4150 style throttle body, I was only putting down average numbers with a torquer II because it is not designed to work with a single plane.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I am just trying to share some of what I have learned. If I mis-stated anything here, please feel free to correct me.

If you would like to see pics of my setup check out my FQuick http://www.fquick.com/ryle

Quick Reply: Why or why not carb intake w/elbow?