Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drive-by-wire to drive-by-cable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default drive-by-wire to drive-by-cable?

so i picked up an 05 5.3 w/ 18k miles for under $500.

One problem is I don't want drive-by-wire. How hard is it to switch to cable driven in regards to running a cable, switching the TB, and the ECU itself thinking i'm still d-b-w once done. (i've searched, but apparently i don't ever seem to type in the right 'keywords' to find what i'm looking for)
Old 12-03-2008, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

damn i would have traded you all the stuff and paid shipping, DBW is nice IMO. all your cruise control stuff is in the TB, and there really isnt a difference that i know of. my silverado ran great nad had great response with the dbw setup
Old 12-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

dbw is nice, but apparently i have to have some special pedal setup or something, and that just extra trouble i dont want.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stev0n
so i picked up an 05 5.3 w/ 18k miles for under $500.

One problem is I don't want drive-by-wire. How hard is it to switch to cable driven in regards to running a cable, switching the TB, and the ECU itself thinking i'm still d-b-w once done. (i've searched, but apparently i don't ever seem to type in the right 'keywords' to find what i'm looking for)
The cable throttle body will bolt right on. What you have to deal with is harness/PCM. Did you get these items?

You could get a drive by cable harness/pcm or...you could convert you're harness. You only have to add two connectors. 1 for Idle Air Control motor, and 1 for Throttle Position Sensor. Total of 7 wires. I have done this, and used the wires originally for the electric throttle body. Then added the 7 wires to the PCM connectors, and solider/heat shrink to correct wires from the TAC module connector.

As for the PCM, not sure on that one. I know the 2003 Express van's still had cable throttle where the 2003 Pickups had DBW, and used the SAME PCM. however, you'r 2005 PCM probably won't accept a 2003 calibration. It would be some custom programming to make it work.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:54 AM
Launching!

Just bolt a cable throttle body on there. As for the harness....tell the harness supplier to build it for cable throttle, with the appropriate connectors. I use fuelinjectionconnection.com, but speartech also is a good choice. Unless you trimming and modifying your own harness.....then the homework is up to you! The computer has to be programmed to get rid of VATS and other assorted EVAP / Secondary 02 codes, and can be set up for cable throttle when programing, just use a 99-up "red-blue" connector ECM. Thats what has worked for me
Old 12-07-2008, 02:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Doesn't it depend on what PCM you have..isn't there a different Reluctor for the DBW TB's.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by Stev0n
dbw is nice, but apparently i have to have some special pedal setup or something, and that just extra trouble i dont want.
I have an extra pedal that I will sell cheap. I live in Bowling Green too. PM me, and let me know what kind of vehicle your working on.

Andrew
Old 12-07-2008, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

You need to be careful what computer you use. Delphi eliminated the IC in the computer for IAC control on trucks shortly after the DBW swap. You can use a computer from a vehicle that had cable TB, remember S-10's and express vans had cable TB's up to 04. If you are building your own harness when you eliminate the oil pressure sensor the connector of it works for the TPS. One of the A/C connectors will also work, don't remember which one.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Launching!

The computer can be flashed for whatever year / throttle setup you want, by a good tuner with the capability to switch the computers "operating system" (i.e.....make a 2001 truck computer run a 2001 vette dbw setup). As long as the ECM has the correct connectors (red/blue or blue/green, depending on what your harness is set up for) it can be wiped clean and set up as whatever system you need. The 97-98 vette computers are limited however, they are a different animal from what im told by my tuner.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Set a PM. I may be interested in trading a cable setup for wire and I have everything. Send a reply if interested.
Old 07-01-2023, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by busta9876
The cable throttle body will bolt right on. What you have to deal with is harness/PCM. Did you get these items?

You could get a drive by cable harness/pcm or...you could convert you're harness. You only have to add two connectors. 1 for Idle Air Control motor, and 1 for Throttle Position Sensor. Total of 7 wires. I have done this, and used the wires originally for the electric throttle body. Then added the 7 wires to the PCM connectors, and solider/heat shrink to correct wires from the TAC module connector.

As for the PCM, not sure on that one. I know the 2003 Express van's still had cable throttle where the 2003 Pickups had DBW, and used the SAME PCM. however, you'r 2005 PCM probably won't accept a 2003 calibration. It would be some custom programming to make it work.
hope somebody sees this, I have same problem 06 v6 5 speed wt chassis drive by cable swapping a lm7 5.3. when you get the dbw harness don’t you have to do something with the actual hook up for the wire control? I can’t find a youtube or anything anywhere. thanks!

Quick Reply: drive-by-wire to drive-by-cable?