Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 Turbo Thirdgen winter project

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 Turbo Thirdgen winter project

I decided to get started on my winter project of the year. The updates will probably be pretty slow as the car is being stored about 20 miles away from home, but hey its inside, and heated.

Part out my old roudy 383 sbc that ran mid-high 10's and Th350, and learn something new.

The plan for now (as they always seem to change ) is to swap over a 5.3, T4 flanged turbo, GT2-3 cam, snow performance stage 2 meth kit, 4l80. I have two MP T70s that were for the 383 as it was only 9.3:1 with .68 housings but the money to actually build the hotside, switch to EFI, do a 4l80 swap, and a 9" was a little overwhelming money wise.

By parting out my previous set up, I should come pretty close to breaking even with the Gen III set up.

Heres a shot of my car, started life as a 2.8l MPFI V6 with a 700r4. Trans died, had it rebuilt, then the crank snapped. The car was stock. Decided to retire the car as my DD and make it the weekend car. So a vortec headed 350 was swapped in with a TH350, that was later pulled and relaced by a 383 bottom end, then out with the heads, and in with a set of AFR 210s.

Might end up using one of the T70s, atleast for mach up. I really want to sell both of these and buy a TC78. I have installed a TC76 before on a LT1 355 before, and the response was pretty nice compaired to a turbonetics T76 and a t76GTS.

Pulled a valve cover off to check things out, this is my first experinece with a Gen III engine of my own. Looks pretty clean for a used motor. I was told it had about 56,000 miles on it.

Now for those wanting to use the transdap motor conversion plates, they do work, but the holes on them didnt line up quite right. I was able to make them work with out any drilling/grinding, but you have to add bolts in the right order it seems. I had to thread the three bolts in that hold the plate to the block, then install the bottom bolt on the clam shell loosly, then tighten the flat head bolt with the allen wrench, then thread the 3/8 16 bolts (add an extra washer or two or you will run the bolt into the webbing on the block) into the top of the clamshell, then tighten everything down.

I dropped the motor in just to see how well the mounts word work, fitment was great. I had the driverside truck manifold bolted on, and it did not fit at all, ran into the firewall/subframe. I tried fliping the manifolds for a forward facing set up, and on the driverside the manifold wanted to be in the same place as the steering linkage. I figured that was going to be the case, but thought I would try anyways. Sorry, no pictures of that, I can probably snap some if you want next time I am out.

This might be where the turbo ends up. I ordered a set of 02 Fbody manifolds, so that I can use the driverside one to build a 2.5" cross over that will go under the car, infront of the tranny pan, then back up between the starter/A arm mount into a 3" log that will be built on the passenger side. The heater lines are making it pretty difficult on placement of everything, but this should work. The center section is almost centered over the heater hoses.

Used a 3.5" clamp to see if I can run a 3.5" DP, and everything looks good! Plunty of room down by the subframe. Currently the plan is to route it in the factory location, so right below the clamp in this pic is the notch for the stock exhaust that then runs a little into the tire well, and then into the stock location. Ground clearence should be great, as the exhaust should only hang .5-.75" below the SFCs

And incase you wanted to use the stock 5.3 oil pan, here is how much it goes below the stock K member

Old 12-15-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like a good start. I'm subscribing. You can pull out the heater fittings and tap them for 3/8 and 1/2 NPT to put 90* fittings in them. Waht are you going to use for a PCM? We have a 5.3 w/T70 running now on megasquirt and a 6.0 w/t76 running MS as well. G
Old 12-15-2008, 09:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subcribed! Sexy looking car!
Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

I think for the heater fittings, they will stay as is, and heater hose will be routed along the subframe then around the DP to the heater core.

As far as controlling it, this is an 03 with the DBW TB, but did not come with the pedal/Tac box so I will be converting to DBC by having a friend convert this or an older harness to a stand alone, then use a 02 or older computer and HPTuners. I have a couple local shops that can tune the set up. Im good with a carb, and have assisted with EFI, and can do the fueling, but the timing curve/value is where I would have trouble, as I have not seen one for a Gen III yet. I know they run less timing then a SBC does, but where the timing needs to be with boost, Im not sure. Then tossing methonal on top of that should make tuning fun.

I also have a Fbody oil pan/pickup on the way and a LS1 intake/rails.

I would like to get the harness ran into the firewall, and put everything inside/out of site. Did that on a friends LT1 turbo set up, and it looked great.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It should be fairly easy to run your harness through the factory hole on the pass side. it is plenty big enough. you should also have enough room to mount the pcm with no a/c in the way. looks like you already have mounts made but if you are interested I have a tubular K member with ls mounts on it already and 4th gen rack mounts. It'll knock 40 lbs off the nose and give you more cross over / down pipe room. Plus you could go to a manual rack for more wieght savings. G
Old 12-15-2008, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

. Nice car, im thinking about swaping on into a thirdgen..
Old 12-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Subscribed
Old 12-16-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Hit a small snag last night. After sitting the motor in with the transdap mounts to start thinking about where the turbo and routing of pipes should be I decided to change out the worn rubber mounts for poly. So I did the usual, remove the mounts, open the clamshell and install the new poly mounts. Reinstalled the mounts per the instructions, and referencing a picture I took before hand.

Went to install the engine again, and the bolt holes wont line up, its like the mounts slid down 1/4" each side. Odd thing is the Kmember is not notched. So maybe the poly mounts are not centered, I picked up two OEM replacement mounts, and compaired, everything looks to be in the right place. Not sure how I will fix this just yet, as nothing should require modification, but if it comes down to it I will notch the Kmember and move the mounts to where they need to be.

Before this though, I tried bolting on the 4l80 to the engine, and droping it all in from above, didnt work. The 5.3 oil pan is so long, that when you try to angle the motor/tranny into place, the bell housing hits the firewall, and the oil pan sits on the kmember. The good news is looking down at the bellhousing/firewall, looks like the tranny should fit with out much reforming of the tranny tunnel if any. Hopefully my LS1 Fbody pan arrives soon so that I can install, and stick motor/tranny in and see what needs to be modified.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:43 PM

sorry to say man dat turbo is small i would say get a bigger one but that is just me
Old 12-16-2008, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

A t70 is a smaller turbo, but its a perfect fit for the 5.3 I see boost at 2700 rpm. If you graph it out on a compressor map your in the max efficency island from 35-70 lb/min between 2-3 bar.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ricermam
sorry to say man dat turbo is small i would say get a bigger one but that is just me
I know what you mean, I bought these planning to do a twin set up. They are for sale, I will probably just jump right to a TC78 and build a 347 to take the punishment.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

Good news/bad news.

LS1 intake/oilpan set up came in last night. T70s sold. TC78/.96 is ordered, but wont be in until after late next week at the soonest. Kinda kills my being off the next two weeks to build the hotside, with the turbo to mach it up. I can get close though and build most of the log manifold/cross over. Will also be doing the GT2-3 swap/pushrods/patriot golds this weekend/next week.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

This is a sweet project, I want to swap a 3rd Gen, those cars are clean. Yours looks nice in the first pic you posted.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Awesome! I haven't started my winter project yet so I can't get on you for starting yours in Dec.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

i smell a rat... Sharpe how can you have: 5.6 million posts???

Old 12-17-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

He has no life? lol
Old 12-17-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by luckyhenriksen
This is a sweet project, I want to swap a 3rd Gen, those cars are clean. Yours looks nice in the first pic you posted.
Thanks, there is some rust here and there, hopefully I can take care of it all while its cold out.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Post up lots of pics =]
Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

More pics

Dad welding for the first time in about 8 years, practicing on an aluminum gasket, didnt go so well lol.

New motor mounts

Tranny bolted up

Plunty of room for the 2.5" cross over that will run infront of the tranny pan

Woops 4l80 + truck oil pan = will not fit in from the top

LS1 intake/TB/Fbody oil set up should take care of that

Old 12-17-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice looking project, im doing something simalar to it in the spring with a 6.0 into a 91 Z. Im also doing a single turbo.I was planning to go with f body manifolds facing forward with the cross over in front with the turbo close to the same location as you but a little more forward. I've seen it done but i cant tell if they modified the manifolds or not. Any input on it. thanks

Quick Reply: 5.3 Turbo Thirdgen winter project