Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 chevelle + 6.0 w/ 4l60 = wait and see

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Syckness

I have been lurking here for some time. I am finally starting a build thread. Over the last year I have been doing some homework and asking ???.

The car.
Its a 71 malibu bought 2 years ago. Since then I have done some minor changes. I ran into Pro-touring.com and came to a conclusion. I am building a 71 chevelle with a 6.0l from a 2006 escalade(just picked up this weekend. I will be running a 4l60e that came with the motor. from their it will go to a 12 bolt rear running 3.90 gears and c5 z06 disk brake. I am running the the ats spindle and c5 z06 calipers. hotchkis coils front and rear hotchkis front and rear swaybars and qa1 adjustable shocks. Don't know what I am going to run for upper or lower control arms up front but have been looking at SPC. I have uca and lca in rear from UMI. I have the lh8 pan and looking to run edelbrock headers and motor mount. Wheels will be Rushforth Rated X. Interior will hopefully be from a 04-06 gto, running covan dash and cobalt guages. I will be post build pics as it will be slow progress, and I just broke a couple of toes last night.

Pic of car when I got it.

L-88 hood I will be running

getting ready for surgery

Last edited by 71 chevelle; 08-08-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Good luck on the build! Sounds like you are already moving in the right direction with your suspension parts.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! 71-72 is the best body style Careful with the LH8 pan, it will hang very low with the Edelbrock mounts. Good choice on the LQ9 though.

Let me know when your ready to sell the Autodrags, i'm interested.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

Definalty check into the Champ/Autokraft/Carshop inc. pan. Worth every penny as far as fit and function
Old 02-03-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sound like you have to your homework. Keep the build thread going with updates and pictures.

If your going to lower the car any, the LH8 pan can hang down a bit much. If your going with the LH8 pan, the BRP ssetup has been engineer with for that pan.

With the 4L60e, you'll be ok with the trans tunnel. Are you planning on running AC and what Front Accessories setup are you planning on running ?

good luck.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Launching!

I will be lowering the car only 2" and running 18 or 19" wheels up front. I want it to be a driver. Will that still be two low and should I start considering other parts? From all the research I did I found that would be the best set up. just my .02 Any feedback will help.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 chevelle
I will be lowering the car only 2" and running 18 or 19" wheels up front. I want it to be a driver. Will that still be two low and should I start considering other parts? From all the research I did I found that would be the best set up. just my .02 Any feedback will help.
I would say the LH8 pan is the most economical way to go, but not the best. Anytime you have a cast aluminum part hanging below the crossmember you risk knocking a hole in it.

This has been argued before with good reasons it would be ok, but even if you have a donk mobile with 30" wheels, the pan is not protected. To me its one area of an LSx swap that has to be done right therefore part of the expense.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Launching!

What pan will be recommended? ATS?
Also since I am running electronic throttle what can I use since that is the one part I did not get? I remember seeing a thread with a conversion from a car that was a direct fit into a chevelle. Does any one have a link?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

What pan will be recommended? ATS?
Also since I am running electronic throttle what can I use since that is the one part I did not get? I remember seeing a thread with a conversion from a car that was a direct fit into a chevelle. Does any one have a link?
ATS closed its doors due to the slow economy. Just a heads up.

I used a stock camaro oil pan, windage tray and pickup tube. I used a truck pedal and cut it to length.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Tyler doors are still open. He down sized and is not stocking many parts, But he is open. I placed a order for some parts a week ago. A bit getting to responses but great service and product.

I maybe going to the champ pan as I don't want any clearance issues later on or on the road. I will post up the lh8 pan for sale it mock up seems to low for my likings.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tyler doors are still open. He down sized and is not stocking many parts, But he is open. I placed a order for some parts a week ago. A bit getting to responses but great service and product.

I maybe going to the champ pan as I don't want any clearance issues later on or on the road. I will post up the lh8 pan for sale it mock up seems to low for my likings.
Must not have closed them completely yet. He posted on pro-touring.com saying he was gonna close the doors for good until the market pics up and he can afford to open them again.

what clearance issues later on would you have?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Well I have done nothing on my car since I started this post. I should be up on limited walking next week. A guy over on pro tour this a quick chop. This is what I am aiming for. I just placed my order for the rear wheels. Undecided on the front size.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

I like the look what wheels are those?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Launching!

Well I have done nothing on my car since I started this post. I should be up on limited walking next week. A guy over on pro tour this a quick chop. This is what I am aiming for. I just placed my order for the rear wheels. Undecided on the front size.

that is my ultimate dream car right there. that has the perfect stance and looks good without being over done.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pist0lpete
I like the look what wheels are those?
These are http://www.rushforthwheels.com/

I have seen a lot of wheels and sema was just a over load. This was my first choice from the start and after several months of looking around my mind was never changed. I think my hardest choice was from what wheel and color from thier line vs who's wheel. I was also thinking of going with their whiplash

update. trans, drive shaft, exhaust is off. Maybe this weekend motor will be out.

12 bolt rear is off and waiting for a posi unit and looking for 3.90 gear

Last edited by 71 chevelle; 02-12-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Rushforths I have the set of Black Whiplash over on chevelles.com,pro-touring and lat g. Oh Tylers doors are not shut fully but I understand why he had to do what he did.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Look what I just got today. Almost as big as my front rims. Front and rear coils installed by a buddy over the weekend and found out my frame may be tweeked in the rear. I do have a spare frame I may use. Now I just waiting to be back on my feet, as I did not follow any of the doc's orders and made the fractures on my foot worse.

Last edited by 71 chevelle; 02-16-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Launching!

I had my two best helpers with me yesterday taking the dash and rear seats out. This is the reason for this build. To spend time with my kids. They have been involved from the start and always looking forward to next part we are going to put on or pull off. And the best part is they get paid in cookies.

Needless to say they are both gearheads

Old 02-27-2009, 07:39 AM
Launching!

i need the site and spot for this pic i need a new screen saver.

Quick Reply: 71 chevelle + 6.0 w/ 4l60 = wait and see