Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1966 Nova...LS1 Install...Pictures Inside.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Default 1966 Nova...LS1 Install...Pictures Inside.

Been busy installing an LS1 in my Nova. Pretty far along, wanted to have something to show instead of a few pictures at a time. Thanks to the members here that answered my seemingly endless questions.

I have since switched sides with the air cleaner, as I was a little leery at first to cut into a $50 dollar 90 degree fitting. It was hitting the fans, but once I took an inch off, it fits much better. Got those parts from intake hoses.com. The inline fitting for the steam line is billet aluminum, and came from Jegs, part number 555-51155.The upper and lower hoses had to be pieced together from three hoses, two for the top, and one for the bottom.

I reused the crossmember I already had from a previous swap to a 700R4, just redrilled the hole, and trimmed the rear of the member and done. As for fuel, I used the vette filter/regulator and plumbed it accordingly. Rails are on the way from Nasty Nate. Headers from S&P.....

I fabricated a power steering bypass pulley, using a Dorman AC delete pulley. The bracket that came with it would not fit, so I made one. I need to do more work on it to beef it up, but it is just mocked up at this point. It does line up, and works fine. Dorman part number is 34196 at O' Reilley's.

Wiring harness should arrive today, so have to get that installed, wire up fan relays, mains for car power, add some fuse links etc..will update more as it gets done....

The patient......

The teardown....

The new implant

Heidt's clip being installed

Motor bolted in place

Rick's Hot Rod's tank...nice piece....

Throttle linkage at firewall

Oil sending unit location, tapped and threaded

Upper and lower radiator hoses installed

My answer to the steam bypass connection issue

Power steering bypass pulley, gotta clean this up and beef this up some

Air Cleaner, tubing solution.

Starting to look like a car again

Old 05-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn that is nice!!! how did you get the motor to look that good???
Old 05-27-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1BLKSS
damn that is nice!!! how did you get the motor to look that good???
Two cans of Gunk degreaser, two cans of CRC electrical contact cleaner, half a roll of masking tape and a power washer.......oh, and two glasses of Crown Royal....

T,
Old 05-27-2009, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job, I will be there soon also.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I friend had one of those 67 SS back in the day, same color!.. We used to curise and rip the hell out of it. great fun car.. You have done a great job, kept it going.. With that front clip, the swap must have just slid in.. ?.. who's clip is it ?

I would recommend you move the air intake the other way.. you have it like the radiator hose is wrapped around the air tube and heating up the intake air.. just a recommendation..
Old 05-27-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bczee
I friend had one of those 67 SS back in the day, same color!.. We used to curise and rip the hell out of it. great fun car.. You have done a great job, kept it going.. With that front clip, the swap must have just slid in.. ?.. who's clip is it ?

I would recommend you move the air intake the other way.. you have it like the radiator hose is wrapped around the air tube and heating up the intake air.. just a recommendation..
Yeah, it's a blast to drive. The engine slid right in as you said. Heidt's front clip. I already flipped the air intake to the other side. Had to look at it about 4 times before I cut that 50 dollar 90 degree connector........got the wiring harness today, been working on that, will get pictures up later.

T,
Old 05-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Launching!

you know you keep this up and your going to beat me on finishing... thats some bull. but iam trying to finish. going to work on the wiring tonight some more. ordering some more part friday.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

I like your taste in Cars......................LOL

Name:  66novascr-1.jpg
Views: 4620
Size:  148.0 KB

Best E.T. 10.92 @ 126

Ken
Old 05-28-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ACONLP
you know you keep this up and your going to beat me on finishing... thats some bull. but iam trying to finish. going to work on the wiring tonight some more. ordering some more part friday.
Got my harness in, gotta mount the ECM in the car and hook up a few wires. It would suffice to say that if you aren't running by next weekend....I gotcha...

Originally Posted by kwhizz
I like your taste in Cars......................LOL
Sweet, like the color for sure.........always looks clean....very nice car, great job on it...

T,
Old 05-28-2009, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Which oil pan are you using? What's the distance between the bottom of the pan (if you're using the truck pan) and/or pan rail (on the block) to the crossmember?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

That's a nice car keep up the good work .... I always like that body style. Nova
Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=TomM;11670225]Got my harness in, gotta mount the ECM in the car and hook up a few wires. It would suffice to say that if you aren't running by next weekend....I gotcha...

yeah, your going to beat me. looking for my dash tonight and everyone is out of stock on them. going to make a few calls to make sure. yeah you got me
Old 05-29-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by itslow
Which oil pan are you using? What's the distance between the bottom of the pan (if you're using the truck pan) and/or pan rail (on the block) to the crossmember?
I am using the stock F-body (Camaro) pan. It has a little more than an inch of clearance to the crossmember, front to back, and almost 2" up and down...

[QUOTE=ACONLP;11671224]
Originally Posted by TomM
Got my harness in, gotta mount the ECM in the car and hook up a few wires. It would suffice to say that if you aren't running by next weekend....I gotcha...

yeah, your going to beat me. looking for my dash tonight and everyone is out of stock on them. going to make a few calls to make sure. yeah you got me
Summit has them, pre drilled, ships today...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 05-29-2009, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

My engine machinist is building a 66 with an LS motor and it is killer. Its got a Magnacharger on top with a 6 speed. I will try to get some pics later.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Default Some Updates

Got the front end back on and lined up. Finished fuel system. Got the underhood electrical done, just the interior left to go.

Some updated pictures.....

Old 06-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Looks great Tom! Wow, you really got that together rather quickly! Keep us posted on any updates....you've probably been cruising her by now.

Andrew
(Notscared from Steve's site)
Old 06-04-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Default Update....

Got the fuel system finished, re-routed some lines....Headers came in, fit like a glove, plugs wires on. Got all the wiring done with the exception of the lockup, have the switch mounted, just need to terminate the wires.

Looks like Saturday is the big day, gonna fuel it up, test for leaks and see if she fires off...

T,

Last edited by TomM; 06-05-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bad94sup
Looks great Tom! Wow, you really got that together rather quickly! Keep us posted on any updates....you've probably been cruising her by now.

Andrew
(Notscared from Steve's site)
I wished I was, it's close. Been concentrating on all the little details. Still have to plumb the brakes and bleed. Been waiting about three weeks for my rotors, once they get here....it's on....

T,
Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Beautiful swap. Very good attention to detail. Love the wiring and relay set up you got going on in the front drifer side fender wall.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could get a shorter belt and get rid of that PS bypass pulley.. I got the correct size belt at home... and I'm sure tons of people on here know too

Quick Reply: 1966 Nova...LS1 Install...Pictures Inside.