Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low oil preasure fuel shut off

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low oil preasure fuel shut off

How does an Ls1 engine or PCM handle this ?? the engine is from a 02 trans am.

or is there a seperate oil preasure switch for this function??

I know its not the one on the back top of the block.

any help appriciated
Old 09-06-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

never seen this on an LS1. You might be confusing the earlier GM injected stuff that used the oil pressure switch as a back up for the fuel pump relay. This didn't kill the pump with low oil pressure as an intended function, but enabled the pump if the relay had an issue, by closing the circuit once oil pressure was achieved.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just guessing here but the PCM gets crank and cam sensor inputs. It doesn't need an oil pressure signal to know if the engine is still running.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

You should have a tan and a tan/white coming from your C100 connector on the firewall. The tan is for you oil pressure gauge and the tan/white goes to the fuel pump, i'm not completely sure on this because I can't remember what year your camaro is, mine is a 89. The tan/white went through the oil pressure switch first before it went to the fuel pum to turn it on with the old engine, this function is noy used with the ls1 swap.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be mistaken, but I think that what he's asking about is the function that would let the ECM know that even though the engine is turning over, the oil pressure is lower than it should be, & it should cut fuel to avoid damage.

Now since everyone's saying that they don't think that this function exists, I'm forced to conclude that the engineers decided it wasn't necessary. Speaking just for myself, I could see that function as being pretty worthwhile, so I'm curious as to what other (related?) safeguards might be in place...
Old 09-07-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
I could be mistaken, but I think that what he's asking about is the function that would let the ECM know that even though the engine is turning over, the oil pressure is lower than it should be, & it should cut fuel to avoid damage.

Now since everyone's saying that they don't think that this function exists, I'm forced to conclude that the engineers decided it wasn't necessary. Speaking just for myself, I could see that function as being pretty worthwhile, so I'm curious as to what other (related?) safeguards might be in place...
In a word, NONE, you can run the engine with no oil at all and watch it lock up tighter than Charles Manson's jail cell if you want to, the PCM isn't going to stop you!

There are however low oil level sensors that might turn a light on on the dash, but that's it. MeanYellowZ explained it exactly the way it is.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
In a word, NONE, you can run the engine with no oil at all and watch it lock up tighter than Charles Manson's jail cell if you want to, the PCM isn't going to stop you!
Wow. I'd sure like to know the reasoning behind that... Our cars don't have a basic "engine safety" feature that was present in my brother's '79 Pinto???

I guess I'm just really surprised by that...
Old 09-08-2009, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

I wonder if we can fix what GM should have done.

I adapted a 3 pin 91 GTA sender to the LS1 block.

I have read 2 theories on what the other 2 wire on this particular sender do.

1. Its a backup for the fuel pump relay. ie if the fuel pump relay is out and if the preasure is greater that 4 psi, a switch internal to the sender closes providing an alternate path for power to the pump. I dont think we need this

2. Its a safety fuel shut off. ie if the preasure falls below 4 psi , the switch opens thereby opening the ckt to the fuel pump relay shutting off the pump.

This sounds good, but the issue is unless the engine is primed and has some oil preasure, you can never start the car. there is also issue with access to the sending unit if its bad. may leave u stranded.

what do u guys think ?
Old 09-08-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

The fuel pump relay needs to be there to prime the system and if it is working the oil pressure switch will never actually kill the fuel pump when pressure is low, as the relay wires directly to the pump, the oil pressure switch just adds into the system from GM
Old 09-13-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This feature is present in the 1994-1996 chevrolet impala ss. During my swap, I made the mistake of rewiring mine like stock, and plugging it into a regular oil pressure SENSOR instead of an oil pressure SWITCH, and I turned off the ignition, and the engine KEPT RUNNING! Here is a diagram if that'll help at all.

Quick Reply: low oil preasure fuel shut off