Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E Park Neutral Safety Switch - leftover wires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4L80E Park Neutral Safety Switch - leftover wires?

The wiring harness is from a 2006 Sierra 2500HD with a 4L80E and 4WD - I got rid of all the 4WD stuff, I think...

Running from the Park Neutral Safety switch (PNP) to where the fuse block used to be:

#1 - Dark Green - runs from PNP switch pin #1 to where the fuse block used to be
#9 - Light Green - runs from PNP switch pin #9 to where the fuse block used to be
#12 - Pink - labeled "PNP Sw Ign" runs from PNP switch pin #12 to where the fuse block used to be

What the heck are these wires for? Are they some extra 4WD wires? I can't seem to find them in any of the schematics...

The #12 looks like a power source to the switch, but for what?! Anybody know what these are for, and if I need them?
Old 03-05-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Anybody? I'm so close! 3 more wires! It seems like nothing I could find in the search/archives matches up with what I have.

Here a pic!
Attached Thumbnails 4L80E Park Neutral Safety Switch - leftover wires?-3-wires.jpg  
Old 03-05-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Dude,
your hands looks soft and clean. Go work on yer car! LOL
Old 03-05-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Why do you need a park/neutral switch?
Putting it in park will raise the idle when the AC is on is the only reason I see having one. "most" shifters and cars already have one; just use the existing one.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

It's so funny that you say that! I looked at the picture and couldn't believe it was my hand! I started wearing rubber gloves at work about a month ago and my hands don't get dirty anymore... just dry.

I thought about re-taking the pic with my left hand, because from time to time the gloves have to come off and that's the one that does the work.

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Dude,
your hands looks soft and clean. Go work on yer car! LOL
Old 03-05-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

I think if your park/neutral safety switch isn't reading park or neutral, the PCM won't let you start the car. Also, I want the PCM to raise idle when the A/C is on and the car is in park.

Those wires I am showing used to run to the fuse block, and I don't know what to do with them.

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Why do you need a park/neutral switch?
Putting it in park will raise the idle when the AC is on is the only reason I see having one. "most" shifters and cars already have one; just use the existing one.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can set the pcm file to show no p/n switch on a 4l60e file. Need to see if your file has the same flag under System, General tab. What harness are you using? I can email you the schematics.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

I don't have any tuning software, so I can't edit the PCM. The harness is from a 2006 Sierra 2500HD 4L80E and 4WD. I went through all of the schematics, and the wires aren't in there. The schematics I am using are from a 2005. EVERY wire has been the same, but I cannot find these 3.

I really want to figure out what they're for so I can make the decision on whether to hook them up or remove them from the harness.

Originally Posted by aknovaman
you can set the pcm file to show no p/n switch on a 4l60e file. Need to see if your file has the same flag under System, General tab. What harness are you using? I can email you the schematics.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

You only need the ones that go to the PCM and a ground. The others are for the display on the dash of the truck.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Okay, so the ones that go to the PCM... would that be the ones like:

PRND P SIG
PRND A SIG
PRND B SIG
PRND C SIG

I have all of those hooked up.

Also, I went through the Starting schematic one more time for the Sierra... and it looks like the pink wire runs from the ignition switch and feeds the PNP switch B+ and the dark green wire goes from the PNP switch directly to the starter relay. The PCM doesn't look like it's involved at all. (It looks like an independent stand-alone safety circuit)

Further, I am using a fuse box from a 2008 Impala 3.5L (I know, what a cluster f%*k, right?) and I have everything setup to use the starter solenoid/relay in the Impala fuse box.

So based on all that, is there anything that the PCM needs to see before it will allow the car to start? Is that what the "PRND P SIG" thing is for?

Thanks, I know this is not fun stuff but I need to scholg through it before I start soldering.

-Dave

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
You only need the ones that go to the PCM and a ground. The others are for the display on the dash of the truck.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FastKat

Further, I am using a fuse box from a 2008 Impala 3.5L (I know, what a cluster f%*k, right?) and I have everything setup to use the starter solenoid/relay in the Impala fuse box.

So based on all that, is there anything that the PCM needs to see before it will allow the car to start? Is that what the "PRND P SIG" thing is for?
Ok, didn't know you were trying to use the starter relay in the fuse box, since that's the case, you ARE going to need other wires out of the switch. Don't have my schematics with me right now, so I'll see what I can find out when I can get to them.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

PM me your email and I can send your the correct yr/engine schematics.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Also, like was asked before, why don't you just use the neutral safety switch that the car came with? There's nothing in the PCM that will prevent the engine from starting if you don't use the starter relay in the fuse box. It would simplify things.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Now wait a minute - I am trying to use the fuse box starter relay from an Impala, not the Sierra. I have all the Impala schematics, and it does not look like the Impala has any sort of neutral safety switch. Once you give that Impala fuse box starter relay some power, it cranks your engine. In contrast, the Sierra has a PNP switch that you have to go through on the way to the starter relay.

The true question is "what does the PCM (and only the PCM) need to energize the starter relay wire?" and turn on the fuel, ignition, etc so the car will start.

Ok, didn't know you were trying to use the starter relay in the fuse box, since that's the case, you ARE going to need other wires out of the switch. Don't have my schematics with me right now, so I'll see what I can find out when I can get to them.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Awesome, I think that answers my question!

And I missed it before, but that's a good idea. I think the Jag has some sort of neutral safety switch built into the shifter... I could probably use that. I bet it's already wired in line with the ignition switch too.

Also, like was asked before, why don't you just use the neutral safety switch that the car came with? There's nothing in the PCM that will prevent the engine from starting if you don't use the starter relay in the fuse box. It would simplify things.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Schematics sent.
Anthony

Quick Reply: 4L80E Park Neutral Safety Switch - leftover wires?