Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbed 5.3 to 1970 Chevelle conversion

Old 03-17-2010, 02:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbed 5.3 to 1970 Chevelle conversion

Hello all, figured I'd add another a-body to the growing list of LS conversions. I'm into sleeper type cars, so I have a clean 1970 Malibu that is getting converted from a problematic Vortec 350 to a carbed 5.3 in the very, very near future. The car has a Summit TH-350 with a Hughes 3000 stall, and a recently installed Quick Performance 9" Ford housing with 3.88s and a TrueTrac. I also used UMI Performance upper and lower control arms, and new 11" drum brakes. I also converted the car to manual steering, as it already has manual brakes and no factory AC!

I have done alot of research on parts, and am planning on using the Edelbrock headers, conversion mounts, and Performer RPM intake and ignition setup to run my existing Demon carburetor.

I am still trying to determine the best oil pan, even after a lot of searching! I would prefer to use a cast oil pan with the screw on filter, and really have no desire to deal with a sheetmetal pan that uses a remote filter. I am looking at the LH8 pan, and a CTS-V pan as well. Can I get some good opinions from those who have already been there on just how well either of these pans work? Or should I just cough up the money for the LHx pan?

Here are some pics:

Last edited by 1fast70; 03-17-2010 at 02:40 AM. Reason: added text
Old 03-17-2010, 07:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

on my 69, i used the Hooker headers and mount adapters, cts pan-the tierods tap the pan a little on lock to lock, but been that way for 2 years-when i switched in the stroker, i was gonna cut and weld a little room for the tierods, but it was a down and dirty swap so i didnt take the time to bother
not sure of the Edelbrock mounts how they locate the engine as far as clearance, so might fit diff-theres a couple fab'ed pans that retain the spin on filter out there-i used all vette front acces dr, but kept the power steering
Old 03-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

I vote JZ Motorworks pan(LHx). I have one on the way for my Chevelle. It's strong, has good ground clearance, uses spin on filter, and is USA built. I am all up for saving money but this is the only way to go for me.

Dan-o
Old 03-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks! I have decided to go with the LHx pan, as I don't want any headaches with ground clearance. I will update this thread with some info once I start doing the work.

Have ordered most of my conversion parts already, just working on finding the right used engine now!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Well, I haven't done a very good job updating this thread at all! I picked up a 5.3 from a 2007 Classic Chevy truck with 37,000 miles on it. I then had PatrickG here on tech spec me out a camshaft for my carb setup. The cam grind itself was handled by Engine Power Systems. Got the cam installed in the engine along with new Comp push-rods. Picked up the Edelbrock A-body headers, Performer RPM intake, and conversion mounts. Then picked up the MSD 6LS ignition system. I am keeping my column shifted TH-350, so I elected to use the LS to TH-350 flexplate made by Advance Adapters as I didn't want to deal with the GM spacer.

I am using the valley cover made by Wegner Motorsports, but I have elected to install my PCV valve in the hole for the breather instead. Then I will attach a 3/8 hose to the ports on each valve cover to a TEE fitting and connect that to the base of my air cleaner to supply clean air into the crankcase. Since there is no oil flying around in the valley of the block, I figure it has to be the best place to put the PCV valve so it doesn't suck up oil!

I also went with the LHX or RetroLSX oil pan, which while it is a beautiful piece of workmanship, really doesn't seem to work well in my car. Using the Edelbrock conversion mounts, the pan hit the crossmember before sitting in the mounts. After quite a bit of measuring and research, I elected to have a fantastic local chassis builder fabricate a custom set of frame mounts for me that would pick the engine up enough to gain oil pan clearance, while still allowing me to use the Edelbrock conversion mounts and whatever GM mounts I so desire to use (solids for now). Even with getting the engine/trans in the car with good pan and steering clearance, my inner tie rods still hit the side of the pan at almost full steering lock! I had to remove the grease-fittings from the tie-rods, plug them, and am working on some steering stops to prevent damage to the pan or steering from this interference!

Here are some pics, not quite current. I have learned alot during all of this so any questions, just ask!

Last edited by 1fast70; 07-08-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-09-2010, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

what alternator bracket is that? Thanks Jared
Old 07-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Wow, this is the set-up I want to put in my 64 Nova SS! Looks like a tight fit for the headers on the driver's side! Great job,...keep us posted, take some video of it after so we can hear that cam!

Last edited by badchev; 07-09-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know if you try hard enough you can turn the outlet of the Water pump so it faces that side
Old 07-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black05stxjt
what alternator bracket is that? Thanks Jared
The alternator bracket was from Kwik Performance. Very nice piece I might add!

http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_alt_only.html

Last edited by 1fast70; 07-09-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: added quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nastychevelle
you know if you try hard enough you can turn the outlet of the Water pump so it faces that side
You know a few other people mentioned that too, but I figured that with the way my luck has been with this car, I'd better not try it. Are there any links on how it's done?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by badchev
Wow, this is the set-up I want to put in my 64 Nova SS! Looks like a tight fit for the headers on the driver's side! Great job,...keep us posted, take some video of it after so we can hear that cam!
Thanks, will definitely have more pics and a video or two, soon!

The headers came in from the bottom and were probably the easiest to install headers I have ever dealt with on a V-8!

Last edited by 1fast70; 07-09-2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Teching In

After lots of work, my car is running and I love it now! Fired on the first key turn and idled at 900 rpm using the 'curve 1' pill in the MSD 6010 box. Unlike the multiple Power Crate 350s I had in this car, I have absolutely no issues at all to report. LSx FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will be racing it this evening and plan on doing some carb tweaking as well as playing with timing curves in the 6010 box. I currently have settled on 15 initial, jumping to 23 at 2000 rpm, and 30 at 3000 rpm and above. Out of the various curves I have programmed this seems to 'feel' the best on the street, and I'm not using the MAP sensor at all. The usual 28 timing didn't feel as potent as 30, and 32 seemed a bit lethargic up top (shifting at 6500 rpm). I wil post some videos soon.

Engine view from front:

View from drivers side:

View from passenger side:

JZ Motorworks oil pan clearance after custom frame mounts:

Custom frame mount view showing higher mounting point for pan clearance:

View of steering stops I had to install to prevent inner tie rod interference with oil pan:

Last edited by 1fast70; 07-16-2010 at 01:50 AM. Reason: added text
Old 07-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Launching!

for the alternator set up did you use the truck waterpump and crank pulley? or are they ls1 pieces? what tensioner did you use? what was the belt PN?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Teching In

i may have missed it but what carb are you running? What are your initial impressions of power output vs. the vortec 5.7?

dd

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carbed 5.3 to 1970 Chevelle conversion