Sponsored by:

Test drive time.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Test drive time.

Just a little background;

My grandfather left me his 1989 toyota 2wd standard cab/bed pickup when he died. It got me through high school, a few years of college and the first few years of the air force. I bought another daily driver in the AF, needed something more comfortable to drive home in, and gave the truck to my older brother to help him get on his feet. Not much more than a year he "blew the engine", basically sounded like a rod knock when I finally got it back running. I bought it back from him, again, trying to help him out.

Anyway, it sat in VA for a over a year, then my uncle pulled it up to b-more for me when I got out the AF and got a house. It sat for a while until I thought it would be a good idea to put a RB25det (Skyline Engine) in it, never got it exactly "right". To much of a headache for what it was. Last day I tried to get it right I got so fed up, I just pulled the **** out of the truck and put it for sell. I knew what had to be done and pulled the trigger on a 2004 GTO manual transmission swap package.

So after ~8 months, didn't really do much over the winter, I'm ready to start the shake down test. Spent the last month redoing stuff, getting all the little bits sorted. Can't wait to see what I find I need to fix or do another way.

I didn't keep a build thread, just a mention here and there of what I've been up to. Getting the LS1 up and running was extremely simple, ONLY thanks to THIS forum.

Swaps I've done before

SBC 1st gen Rx7
SR20DET 1st gen Rx7 (nissan silvia, japan version of our 240sx)
RB25DET 89 toyota pickup (never would feel comfortable as a daily driver)

and now this!

Quick Specs

2004 GTO LS1/6m
Custom made engine brackets and frame mounts w/ C5 corvette rubber mounts
F-body manifolds -> 2.5" -> single 3" cat' -> 3" muffler -> 3" silencer
Alternator relocation bracket (from forum vendor, can't recall off hand.)
Remote clutch bleeder
GTO Clutch Master mated w/ Toyota pushrod, made simple flange adapter works great.
Custom drive shaft made by a local shop.

Thanks for looking and reading all of that. This truck is a pretty big deal for me, my grandfather left it to me + my first set of wheels. I've had it now for almost 15 years, including the ~year my brother had it. Plus it's my first of what I expect to be a few LS swaps.

I already bought an E36 for another swap sometime. My goal w/ that is pretty much what Rao has already done, only difference is I plan on a maggy supercharger. Just a nice older clean e36 sedan w/ a ~500+ rwhp LS1, you know, like your mom would drive
Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice! got any other pics of the truck?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not right now, I'll get more pics once I get it out of the garage. The fenders are new, had a tree branch fall on it years ago, so I went ahead and did a 4x4 front end swap. Otherwise it looks very much like a 20+ y/o pickup. Not ratty, but nowhere near mint.

So I should be updating this before I go to work tomorrow morning. I live in the city, pretty much the only dead time is right after the ~9am rush. So I plan to just go around the block, check for leaks, etc. I'll get some pics then.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, nothing like that first drive with no hood and prefferably open exhaust.

Strike a little terror into the hearts of the neighbors wonder if this is going to be a daily event.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice.

My car is for sale if you are interested
Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Update. I took it around the block a few times, just taking it easy. Just taking it easy = effortless acceleration, like the engine didn't even know it was pulling anything. I weighed the truck w/o gas, it's ~2780. This is going to be great. Also accidentally started in 3rd gear, almost didn't faze the engine.

Problems... only problem I had is the lower hose **** the bed while I had it in the driveway idling so I could set my fan on/off. I'm using one of those flex hoses that seem to be so popular. It popped off the rad', I'll give it one more shot, but I'm already expecting I'm going to be making my lower hose.

Only other thoughts is that I need a more shallow seat, I feel like I'm too close to the wheel. I'm using 2nd gen Eclipse seats my buddy got from the 'yard for me.

More pics

Rao, noticed the car for sale. I already have my e36 and like to do the build myself, can't say it's always fun, but I enjoy the end results.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

Rotor you are going to hurt a lot of ego's with that yota. Congrats on a nice build.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Launching!

good stuff bro you beat me out the garage..lol
Old 05-04-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, can't wait for some shake downs. I think about how little gas I was giving it vs. the amount of acceleration, WOT should be, interesting.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rotor vs. Piston
thanks, can't wait for some shake downs. I think about how little gas i was giving it vs. The amount of acceleration, wot should be, interesting.
hold on tight
Old 05-06-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice, another successful swap lives.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update:

I'd been dragging my feet getting the thing legal, not wanting to deal w/ MD inspections or other random people touching my truck. I'm sure all of you that have blood, sweet, and tears into your projects understand that.

I had a visit from a friend to pickup some leftover exhaust tubing and he suggested to "just register it as historic" . So after an hour wait at the MVA (maryland DMV) I had tags I've lived here (MD) for almost a decade, but I'm still only used to the NC DMV.

Just been puttering around town until I have time to make it to some back roads to really open it up. But my impressions so far; I really don't think the engine realizes there's a toyota truck strapped to it. Effortless acceleration, a lot of times just trying to ease into traffic in 2nd gets the tires start slipping (only running 255's ; "performance sport truck" Kuhmo's). Drove around in the rain tonight, not as bad as I expected, just being very aware I have 350hp+ in a ~2700lbs truck.

It still looks exactly the same as it did when i first posted this... Really updating to thank this board and members for making this pretty much the easiest engine swap I've done. If I'm able to get some measure performance times this weekend driving around, I'll post them up... have a "G-tech" from years ago, guess it still may work.

Still have a few major projects planned;

rack and pinion swap ( have a mustang GT rack on its way to start brain storming)
ford 8.8 rear
find a way to get more substantial brakes on the front (thinking again ford mustang parts)

What a bastard I'll have.

Last edited by rotor vs. piston; 11-16-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That lil Toyota is now a Bad *** truck! Congratulations on a real nice swap!
Carl
Old 11-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

haha I LOVE it!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Clean swap dude, I approve! I bet that thing moves lol
Old 11-18-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

any pics of the interior to show where the gear shift is?

I think an ls1 and 6 speed would be badass in my 1997 4runner.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No pics of the inside, I'll get some this weekend. The shifter is very far back from the factory location... I'd say a good foot, remembering the toyota shifter was angled pretty far back. I'm using a F-body shifter and it feels like it's in a natural spot for a car, not a truck, which to me is great.

Thanks for the comments, it's great having it on the road on many levels, my first set of wheels, my grandfathers truck, and of course, the performance.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

very cool build.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Dang thats cool! I have a 93 4x4 XCab w/ the 3.slow. Also a 69 Chevelle that I'm debating on doing a LSx swap on.
I never thought an engine like this would fit! Crazy...and sweet!
Do you know of anyone who has done the truck I have?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are plenty of older Small Blocks in the 4x4's... look up Northwest Offroad. Thanks for the compliments.

Quick Reply: Test drive time.