Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real world experience with your Abbott Cable X. Please tell.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real world experience with your Abbott Cable X. Please tell.

The Cable X has been around for a couple years now. Are you guys happy with Cable X? Do you regret buying it? If you have had success, please let us know of any tips when installing one. If you had any problems with a Cable X, let us know what you have done to fix the problem.

Thanks,
Ready for a Speedo
Old 08-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Pictures and videos are welcome!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went electric speedo. I asked a guy about his and he was unhappy saying look somewhere else. His response was it has a delay in it so when you take off it does not start right away. I ended up going electric speedo, tach, and gas gauge for about the same price.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I've had one in my Nova for almost 10 years, it's got about 120,000 miles on it and it works great. I wanted to keep the original speedometer (it's the long sweeping kind) because small round guages I didn't think would look as good. It has become a little noisy when the weather gets extremely cold, but all in all I'm happy with it. I just put a newer one in my '72 Chevy truck, I hope it works as good.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

I have one and it works great, I bought it through their site on ebay and also was concerned about stories about bouncing needles and they recomended a 30 slot unit which is smoother, very impressed with this! and recomend it to anyone wanting to keep their stock gauges. It has to be wired directly to the sensor to get it to work and programing was simple.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

I just installed one in my Chevelle and so far it seems to be working well. I mounted it behind the glove box to keep it inside the car but you can hear it a little bit-you could mount it in the engine compartment and it would be quieter. I have the newer 30 reluctor model and it is a little lazy to start but the accuracy is pretty good after that. I don't think it is any worse than these speedos were originally; might evern be more accurate.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Teching In

I've had one for four or five years now( i didn't now there are different versions of it) and it works great for anyone that wants to keep stock gauges. It is a little lazy to start, but it's not a big deal( at least not to me). I did have some needle bounce to start with, but I mounted it closer to the speedometer( I made a shorter cable) and tried to run the cable as straight as possible. This helped the bouncing a lot. The electric motor in that unit is pretty small, so the more you can minimize cable rotating resistance, the better off you will be.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just wondering why more people dont just use the dual purpose tailshaft (you know the ones that have a reluctor and speedo drive gear) for the 4L60E that are out there as opposed to using a Cable X box? Price is about the same. Just curious.

Jon

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'

Quick Reply: Real world experience with your Abbott Cable X. Please tell.