Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to set up TAPshift for my Chevelle???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to set up TAPshift for my Chevelle???

So I would like to have TAPshift (techtronic, auto-stick, manumatic, whatever you want to call it) for the LS1 and 4L60E I have in my Chevelle. I was thinking about getting a console and shifter out of a Cadallic CTS or something that has the TAPshift build into the shifter. If I need it, I still have the trans controller out of the donor car. I know when the TAPshift is pushed up or down it sets a series of solonids in the transmission to force it to shift.

The questions I have are:
Will the shifter be capable of setting the trans solinoids?
How do the solinoids get tripped?
There are 2 wires in the ECM (Lt. green and yellow/brown) that controll the upshift - how do I set those to trip?

They are all kind of the same question, but this is the area where I'm confused and can't find any answers.
Any info would be great - thanks

FYI - I really don't want paddle shifters because they are really expensive and look out of place.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, fwiw everyone ive talked to who does this says you need a fully manual valvebody for it to feel 'right' (no shift lag). As far as those solenoids, wires, and your shifter options, the computer controls those solenoids, so really as long as the trans shifts in a way youre happy (ie shiftkit, manual valvebody, whatever), you just need an input (paddles/floor shifter/ sequential up/down ****/ shifter on the tree) that can communicate w the tcm

Im thinking about doin the same thing (although id like paddles), and i just cant decide either.

Hopefully someone with real experience will chime in. I remember reading some info on the yellow/brown wires either on tcis site or twistmachine or an article regarding one of them ,haha
Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Irish350
you just need an input (paddles/floor shifter/ sequential up/down ****/ shifter on the tree) that can communicate w the tcm
Exactly what I was thinking...except I'm not exactly sure how to set it up
Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Teching In

So I was thinking about this more last night and the donor Camaro's shifter had spots for P-N-D-3-2-1. I guessing if the car was manually put in 1st, it wouldn't shift until it was put into 2nd...correct? How was the shifter able to control the shift? That is the same thing I am trying to do here, but can't figure out how it was done.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

You mean something like this:

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Shifters/paddle/
http://www.twistmachine.com/shopping...=index&cPath=1

--JMarsa
Old 01-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarsa
That is awesome. I would love to see how well that works.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Damn. Now I want to ditch my 200-4r for something electronic. Anybody wanna trade?
Old 01-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmarsa
I really don't want padle shifters. I want to be able to use the shifter to control shifts. I guess the 4L60e can be manually shifted, but the shift change is pretty slow.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by johncolvin
I really don't want padle shifters. I want to be able to use the shifter to control shifts. I guess the 4L60e can be manually shifted, but the shift change is pretty slow.
yep like i said, manual valvebody and a shiftkit usually gets put in so its not sloshy.

i think the tci controller can be used for the signal, but i wouldnt be surprised if theres some input straight to the tcm/pcm for the shifts.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The TAP shift on GM cars goes like this:

12V from BCM to console shift lever.
Shift up and shift down are closed with moving the switch to shift up and down, and return the 12V to the BCM.
Then BCM then communicates between the ECM and TCM, via High and Low speed LAN lines.
Then the TCM will command the transmission to shift up or down respectively.

Seems like alot of work for not much gain, considering just beefing your trans up a little will yield the same time between shifts.

Quick Reply: How to set up TAPshift for my Chevelle???