Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 - 700r4 torque converter HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation LS1 - 700r4 torque converter HELP.

hello i am putting a 2000 ls1 in a 72 vista cruiser and i am going to bolt it up to a 700 r4. i purchases a flywheel that is supposed to be good for the 700r4 and similar trannys. (700 is out of a 88 iroc camaro) the problem i am running into though is that the torque converter bolt hole radius is smaller than the fly wheel holes so id have to drill new holes to bolt it up my dad went to the local tranny/torque converter shop and asked him if he had a different torque converter and he said there is none that dimensions that will work. so my question is does anyone know what the deal is? and at my work there is a machinist that said he could drill the holes, is that a bad idea? thanks.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

The LS1 motor insn't even the same motor as in your 88' iroc. Better start lookin for something other than a 700r4 like a 4l80
Old 01-27-2011, 08:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your staying EFI the TV linkage is available from bowtie overdrives.

You can use the hughes adapter for the center pilot of the torque converter. OR you could use the factory GM 4L80E adapter flywheel and bolts.

You could use a SBC 168 tooth flywheel as a pilot to line up the TC holes to a closest match, then oval the LS1 flywheel to bolt correctly.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1wagon
...the problem i am running into though is that the torque converter bolt hole radius is smaller than the fly wheel holes so id have to drill new holes to bolt it up...
The holes need to be elongated to match. You'll still need the crank spacer and longer bolts. Search this section for flexplate and crank spacer then read up!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by k_cash1432
The LS1 motor insn't even the same motor as in your 88' iroc. Better start lookin for something other than a 700r4 like a 4l80
Come on man. At least know something about what you are talking about before you discourage others.

Originally Posted by ls1wagon
hello i am putting a 2000 ls1 in a 72 vista cruiser and i am going to bolt it up to a 700 r4. i purchases a flywheel that is supposed to be good for the 700r4 and similar trannys. (700 is out of a 88 iroc camaro) the problem i am running into though is that the torque converter bolt hole radius is smaller than the fly wheel holes so id have to drill new holes to bolt it up my dad went to the local tranny/torque converter shop and asked him if he had a different torque converter and he said there is none that dimensions that will work. so my question is does anyone know what the deal is? and at my work there is a machinist that said he could drill the holes, is that a bad idea? thanks.
You can use the TH700 with your LS1 motor no problem. You just have to either use the Hughes spacer between a 4l60e flexplate and the torque converter or you can use a flexplate spacer assembly from a vehicle equipped with a 4l80e transmission which typically goes in a truck. This "truck" flexplate has a GM part number of 12621399 and it comes with the correct spacer and bolts for about $50. When using this flexplate, you will have to elongate the torque converter holes about 1/8 - 1/4" with a die grinder to make it all work. Easy as pie.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Come on man. At least know something about what you are talking about before you discourage others.

You can use the TH700 with your LS1 motor no problem. You just have to either use the Hughes spacer between a 4l60e flexplate and the torque converter or you can use a flexplate spacer assembly from a vehicle equipped with a 4l80e transmission which typically goes in a truck. This "truck" flexplate has a GM part number of 12621399 and it comes with the correct spacer and bolts for about $50. When using this flexplate, you will have to elongate the torque converter holes about 1/8 - 1/4" with a die grinder to make it all work. Easy as pie.
What he said! I've run the 700r behind an ls1 for about 4yrs. now. Make sure you get that tv cable right or you'll burn that tranny up. Good luck

Quick Reply: LS1 - 700r4 torque converter HELP.