Sponsored by:

LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

Hi guys-

OK, so here's a rare oppurtunity for us all. I'm writing a four-part story for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine and am covering a swap into a 1990 LX Mustang. Instead of going to a shop and taking pictures, I will be doing it myself. I've used the search function, spent the last three months reading posts, and think I have all the info I need. I'm an experienced swapper and fabricator and wire all my harnesses myself (SEFI 302 Granada, 2.3T Fairmont, SEFI 302 Starion, TPI Astro, etc.) So, here is a chance for you to voice your opinion before I start.

This is what I have so far-
2002 LS1 (426rwhp)
T56 with SPEC clutch and CNC master
Complete Harness
Tubular K (5.0 pads)
302 longtube headers
1988 Turbo Coupe pedal assembly

So, my questions are a bit detailed. I've seen the pics and the posts, but I'd like to know some opinions about-

Which engine mounts are better to start with? Modified Mustang mounts or GM mounts? I have both.
Are the 302 headers tall enough to reach the ports or are 351 headers better? I have both.
Will the TC master cylinder clear the engine bay and does it work with the Camaro slave? If not, anyone have pics?
What rear crossmember do you use for a T56? I have a Camaro one and a Mustang one.

Lastly, does anyone have any mounts/parts to make this work? Anyone willing to help the cause? I am going to use LS1Tech.com in the sourcebox and appreciate what ya'll have to say. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would like to see a 4.6 gt k member and modified 4.6 mounts.

I will also be interest to see what you do for the clutch
Old 10-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Teching In

If he is going 6 speed in a fox I wouldn't use the 4.6 k-member. Pm me I have motor mounts and headers for this swap.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didn't build my car, but mine has a PA roadrace sbc/Fox swap K-member and a 1/4" or 3/8" (never measured or asked) thick 3 plate design (solid mounts). one bolts to the motor, one to the k' engine mount, and the other to put them all together.

if you do a search in this section, look for lx1, he built the car himself and has several writeups explaining what all he did to make the motor and the 6spd work. mine also uses the turbo coupe pedal assy. but the 6spd is going byby Very soon! hope that helps some.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:49 PM
9 Second Club

btw.....he used 351W/Fox swap headers with 1 3/4" primaries, a Dr.Gas X pipe and dual 2 1/2" F/M mufflers with dumps. sounds pretty damn good too i must say.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Launching!

ls1coupe: Why would you not use the 4.6 k-member if using a T56? Is it becasue it puts the transmission too far back and doesn't line up with the existing shifter hole, or is it for some other reason? I was planning on using a 4.6 K-member for my swap becasue a couple of people have said that it works pretty well, but now I'm left wondering . . .
Old 10-07-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

In for the info. I'm going to be ordering the AJE sbc k-member for my swap and the spring perches he sells to retain the stock a arms. I'm hoping the T56 lines up perfectly. The crossmember from a 94-95 will work for the tranny. Just drill a hole for the bolt and use a spacer to get drivetrain geometry all correct.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

OK, this is helping. Where are we all putting the ECM? Engine compartment or interior kickpanel?
Old 10-08-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quick Double Nickel
ls1coupe: Why would you not use the 4.6 k-member if using a T56? Is it becasue it puts the transmission too far back and doesn't line up with the existing shifter hole, or is it for some other reason? I was planning on using a 4.6 K-member for my swap becasue a couple of people have said that it works pretty well, but now I'm left wondering . . .
he dont like the 4.6 mounts he says they dont line the motor up with the rearend
Old 10-08-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by powershiftkung
OK, this is helping. Where are we all putting the ECM? Engine compartment or interior kickpanel?
mines in the engine compartment but i'v seen them in the kickpanel
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine-picture159.jpg  
Old 10-09-2006, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vanilla89
he dont like the 4.6 mounts he says they dont line the motor up with the rearend
What do you mean it doesn't line up? Do you mean it's not in a straight line from the transmission to the rearend? Now I'm really confused. I just want to know which set up is best for a 6-speed swap that puts the engine far back and puts the shifter reasonably close to the existing hole in the trans tunnel.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

The 4.6L K/mount setup places the motor pretty far back in the engine bay, and some transmission bellhousings may hit the tunnel. I tucked a 4L60e up in my car, but it took some slight reshaping with a 3lb. motivation tool.

A T56 is smaller, and would fit easier than the big auto. My driveline angle specs out perfect, and with the motor set back in the chassis, this car aught to handle quite well for a Mustang.

FWIW, if someone were not willing to shape the tunnel, your only other option is to tip the back of the transmission down, which would screw up your driveline angle. Why you would choose that option is beyond me -- its less whacking than say clearancing inner fenderwells for slicks.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Teching In

when are you doing this conversion and when is this atricle supposed to be printed?
Old 10-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

I'm slated for the April through July 2007 issues.

So far, it looks like I've got everything I need. I haven't heard from anyone about the mounts they were selling, so I'll make my own.

I see that people are using Corvette fuel filters with integral regulators. With a 255lph in-tank pump, this should work out. Anyone try to make fittings themselves to adapt the Ford fuel lines to the GM filter? Know of anyone who sells stuff that the typical DIY guy can use? I saw in an older thread how people like going to an AN -6 or -8 line and have seen people simply slide a hose over the end and clamp it down, but I'm trying to find a solution that will utilize as much factory-looking parts as possible.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I used -6AN line from the Ford lines at the frame rail, up to 1997 Corvette fuel rails (return style with the regulator). All the adapters are shelf items, and you should be able to find the threads in this forum detailing part numbers and all that. Everything is threaded or quick-connect, no ghetto clamping of lines..

Check out my project site as well -- www.ls1mustang.com ... I need to update it
Old 10-10-2006, 11:58 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,110 Likes on 728 Posts

Thank you in advance for mentioning us in the article. When I came up with the idea for this forum I had no idea that there were so many swappers out there.

ADMIN
Old 10-10-2006, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

FYI the stock TC clutch cylinder will not clear headers of any kind in the engine bay. We ended up fabbing a bracket to hold a compact universal master in place so the TC pedals would actuate it, then used MacLeod's line w/ quick disconnect to mate up to the trans.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Mr. Hyde: Did you use a 7/8" or 1" bore for the McLeod unit? I want to use a big clutch (like an LS7) and want to make sure I have enough fluid being moved to fully disengage it. I know you have to update a stock F-body or Corvette slave and master cylinder when going to the LS7 clutch on an LS1 or LS6. Any suggestion on bore size?
Old 10-10-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey powershiftkung, your first name wouldn't happen to be vinnie (hope I spelled that correctly) would it?
Old 10-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

I'm having custom headers made, so if ya'll think it won't fit, well, I'll get working on that. I knew it couldn't be THAT easy! And yes, my name is Vinnie (AKA Vinnie the hitman.)

Should I source just the website domain? Is there a formal name I should use? We usually put the whole company name in the sourcebox but nobody's ever done just a URL before. Just wondering what you thought. Let me see what my editor says.

Quick Reply: LS1 Mustang Swap Article for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine