Sponsored by:

My LS1 E36 BMW 357i

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks really good.
Ive been wanting to do that for awhile.
Not quite up there on my mechanic skills.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Update: Was working on the exhaust saturday and pushed against one of the wheels and found it was loose. Turns out the wheel bearing is bad on that side. After further inspection it looks like the Rear trailing arm bushings are shot as well. No surprise really considering the milage of the car. So I'll be replacing all the bushings and bearings on the trailing arms as soon as the parts arrive. Always something.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Better to have found it now than after the car went into the ditch because of it....

It does always seem like something though....

'JustDreamin'
Old 10-28-2007, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Update: Spent saturday replacing all the bearings and bushings in the RH trailing arm. Having a press does come in handy. Looks to me the whole issue was because the previous owner didn't have the lock nut tight enough on the rear axle so there was no preload on the bearings. I'll replace all the bearings and bushings in the LH side next saturday. Bad news is I broke the ABS sensor off when trying to get it out. (rusted in place) and the rear emergency brake shoes were garbage. So I have to order some more parts and take things apart again.

Finished the exhaust. It turned out well except for that it is louder than I like. I drove it to church and a guy commented on it. I said "yah it's too loud" and he said "I thought it sounded great". I dont' think it is obnixious but I'm going for "sleeper" and the sound gives it away. (anyone has good ideas for quieting it down without big HP loss?)

Lots of odds and ends to do but the car is driveable now. I think I'll drive it to work tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails My LS1 E36 BMW 357i-file0009.jpg   My LS1 E36 BMW 357i-file0010.jpg  
Old 10-28-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Thaniel
... So I have to order some more parts and take things apart again.
Been there, doing that, and will probably vacation there later this year .

Originally Posted by Thaniel
Finished the exhaust. It turned out well except for that it is louder than I like. I drove it to church and a guy commented on it. I said "yah it's too loud" and he said "I thought it sounded great". I don't' think it is obnoxious but I'm going for "sleeper" and the sound gives it away. (anyone has good ideas for quieting it down without big HP loss?)
I drove my TA last Sunday & I was in & out of the lot so fast that no one noticed it .

Forgive my ignorance, but what are you running now? Your last exhaust related post said no muffler. I like the Magnaflow, I am using two of the oval case 2.25" inlet ones on my RX7 (should have used round for stock appearance). All the Flowmasters I've owned were too loud for my liking. I had a Hooker Aerochamber on the TA before I put the turbo on it and it had a nice sound. They are supposedly very high flow as well.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V8 Supra Builder
Your last exhaust related post said no muffler. I like the Magnaflow, I am using two of the oval case 2.25" inlet ones on my RX7 (should have used round for stock appearance). All the Flowmasters I've owned were too loud for my liking. I had a Hooker Aerochamber on the TA before I put the turbo on it and it had a nice sound. They are supposedly very high flow as well.
What I have now is Y into a presilencer then 3" pipe to a spintech muffler. I'm half considering putting a high flow cat inplace of the presilencer. I've heard cats can cut down exahust noise a lot.

The exhaust note is also very low. Could be from the 3" dia? Rumbles in the car quite a bit. I don't have much experience with exhaust and most posts are about making the car louder

My Rx-7 with the nissan engine is VERY quiet. It uses a pair of straight through mufflers designed to quiet the amazingly loud rotary engine. It makes more noise from the engine sucking in air then out the exhaust (atleast from the drivers seat). I'd like to find a straight through muffler for a V8 with similar characteristics but I don't think there is a market for them. Maybe an OEM muffler?
Old 10-28-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mufflers IMHO are a lot like speakers. You really need to listen to them on a similar setup to find something you like. I found some links to places that have sound clips of their systems:

http://www.ls1sounds.com/

http://www.xhausted.com/

Apparently semi-offensive judging by the first reply , but still has some data:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedia-exchange/797869-post-your-exhaust-sound-clips.html#post7988026

EDIT
Forgot to add the 3" Flowmaster I had on my Durango was terrible for inside noise while on trips (pulled about every car I own with it at one time). I went to a local muffler shop & the guy knew exactly what I wanted- apparently not the first one to dump the Flowmaster. I got a "brand X" 3" muffler & it was a great improvement. No idea what it flows, but performance was not the keypoint on the truck. No seat of the pants difference at any rate.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:31 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnaflow
Old 10-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Nice work!

I'm looking pretty hard at this route myself. What a great all around vehicle. It'll do everything well.

Plus I can just get a kit (Vorshlag) since guys like you have done all the R&D LOL.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Nice work!

I'm looking pretty hard at this route myself. What a great all around vehicle. It'll do everything well.

Plus I can just get a kit (Vorshlag) since guys like you have done all the R&D LOL.
I took a friend for a ride in it a lunch today. He's a muscle car guy. He was quite impressed at the acceleration and handling AND "it's a 4 door". Definately a sleeper.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Finally, an E36 that isn't slow.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OMGWTFBODY
Oh no you didn't just say that. Freaking n00b.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OMGWTFBODY
lol .
Old 10-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Is it just me or did a guy with 6 posts call someone that has 159 a noob?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Skele4door
Is it just me or did a guy with 6 posts call someone that has 159 a noob?
he joined 3 years before i wouldnt consider him a noob compared to the other guy. hes more of what is known as a lurker
Old 10-29-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice setup OP...makes me wanna find something to throw a LS1 into unsuspecting
Old 11-06-2007, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Did some more suspension work last weekend. Also ran it with the G-tech attached. Here is a link to a video I made of one of the runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxH6SKT7IVM

My 7 yr old was doing the camera work. It's not about looking out the window anyway
Old 11-10-2007, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

I fixed my heater problem today and now I have heat. Good thing as it is getting colder here. What happened is I had hooked up the out and in on the engine switched. The heater valve on the E36 only allows flow one way so if it is backward. No heat. I thought I had researched and got it right but maybe I confused it later as it doesn't make logical sense. The OUT on the engine is the smaller (5/8) dia line and the IN on the engine is the larger (3/4) dia line. (doesn't make sense to me as hotter coolant would take up more space than cold coolant but it is what it is.)

I also grounded the wire to turn off the warning light warning me that the Auto transmission is having problems. Which is obviously wrong as the BMW auto trans seems quite happy sitting on my trailer.

Oh Other news. I took the car in this week for virginia required "saftey" inspection and it passed. Whoo hoo. The car is fully legal for the road. I have also ordered a Magnaflow High flow cat and muffler. I'll see if I can get this bad boy quieter.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads up on the heater plumbing, I hadn't thought too much about that. Glad it was an easy fix. That is fantastic that you passed inspection w/o any problems (with a Spintech too LOL).

I had a hard time getting the trans program error off the display but once I cracked the code for the location of the wagon's TCM, I was all set.

Great job on the swap, I'm sure you are enjoying driving it.

Video help is hard to find... when my kid was about that age I remember having my 383 RX7 & teaching them to say "________ (fill in the blank for what we had just passed) slow, RX7 fast!"
Old 11-10-2007, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V8 Supra Builder
That is fantastic that you passed inspection w/o any problems (with a Spintech too LOL).
If I would have had A quiet exhaust I think the guy woudn't have even blinked at it. With the Spintech it was apparent that I had been messing with the car. Right away the mechanic asked if it still had the BMW motor still in. My reply..."uhhh no". He said that cars with engine swaps aren't suppose to pass VA inspection (I'm not sure that's right or not) but said he wouldn't say anything. I didn't have the heart to tell him he had passed my engine swapped Rx-7 three years in a row without so much as a word.

Yah teaching kids what's really important is great! When I first showed my kids pictures of the 3 series BMW and asked if they wanted me to drop them off at school in that, They both asked "how fast does it go?" (they were disappointed with my answer but not anymore)

Quick Reply: My LS1 E36 BMW 357i