Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Line near miss

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Line near miss

Today driving my 62 vette around and the fuel line came of the fuel rail at the snaplock fitting.(earls adaptor to AN6) Gas sprayed everywhere and I'm not sure why it didnt catch fire as the gas was pouring right on the hot header. got lucky.
Looking at the plastic insert it does not look like the most secure way to hold a line w/ 50 or 60 psi of gasoline in it. If you look at a stock corvette fuel line it does not have the plastic insert and it also has a safety clip on it as well.
I'm going to look for a better and more secure way to connect fuel line at the rail. I would recommend that everyone at least safety wire if they are using this setup.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, glad your mishap was not catastrophic. I am using the braided Corvette fuel rail line and there is no plastic in it at all. Worth the money I think, and looks good too

Pat
Old 07-20-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just took my fuel rail and brazed a 3/8" to AN -6 fitting and then used AN fittings and SS hoses. That eliminated the GM and Russell QD fitting and it was much more secure. Cost = $10
Old 07-21-2007, 09:20 PM
9 Second Club

i didn't like mine either when it was efi, but it worked. mine had it for the feed & return, and my fuel guage read 65psi! i really like the idea of changing it to an -an fitting.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Default Fuel Line & Connections

I've dumped lots of raw gas on cherry red headers & had the same experience. I might be mistaken, but it seems like there needs to be a spark or open flame for ignition with gas. Anyways, I learned years ago, you can't spend enough money on fuel line & fittings. I don't care what it cost. I would'nt dream of using those Dorman plastic repair adapters on a Vette regulator/filter, for instance.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Teching In

If your looking for stock style clip on fittings, stop at a junk yard and get ya some from a newer chevy truck. Cut off the crimp that holds the stock hose on and use them. Thats my plan anyways.

Graham
Old 07-23-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just now laying out my fuel system, so I'm very concerned when I read stuff like this. To be honest, those Russell fittings appear less than reliable. I know some here use them successfully especially of the Vette filter pressure regulator when adapting to AN -6. What other options might there be for AN-6, again focussing mainly on the FPR? Of course I'd be more concerned with the reliability of the fuel rail hook up in the engine compartment for potential fire.

I know Stu Cool went with the Dorman/NAPA parts on the FPR, which looks quite nice. I'm hoping to do AN-6.

Andy1
Old 07-23-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Im kinda surprised no one sells an affordable kit that adapts to most applications and geared tward swaps. That would solve sooo many questions.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Glad everything was ok, definately an issue I am going to need to address here shortly; as for it not catching fire on cherry red headers gas needs around to see a temperature of over 850 degrees if I am not mistaken before igniting. This is for contact not an open flame/spark.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Launching!

I just cut the fuel lines from the truck inside the trans tunnel then cut my fuel lines in the trans tunnel. Once I did this I got some compression fittings and connected the truck lines to my stock lines on my camaro. The truck lines even contoured to the tunnel and firewall in the camaro. Goes right up to the fuel rails. I am using the truck intake too.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Stu Cool,

How long is that Vette braided fuel line? What application?

Thanks,

Andy1
Old 07-23-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Andy1
Stu Cool,

How long is that Vette braided fuel line? What application?

Thanks,

Andy1
It is about 10 inches long. I just routed my hard line with the male quick connect fitting to where it would reach. I don't know the specific application. I lucked out and spotted it on EBay from a vendor called Karstuffs. He parts out a lot of Corvettes and other LS1 cars. I think I paid 9.95 for it plus shipping. Here is an installed picture:

Pat

P.S. I found this info on LS1HowTo.com. I have no idea of the currency or accuracy.

Braided Fuel Line 10279630 engine C5 Braided Fuel line on 97-98 C5's. Fuel feed line (longer, front line of the 2).

Braided Fuel Return Line 10279629 engine C5 This is the braided return fuel line on a 97-98 C5, the shorter and more rearward one.

Braided Fuel Line 10401798 engine Braided steel feed line for 99-03 Corvettes. Connects to intake manifold
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Line near miss-fuel-line.jpg  

Last edited by Stu Cool; 07-23-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Thanks Pat, I changed to the stock Corvette fuel line and is much more secure. I safety wired just for peace of mind. I still have the AN to push on adaptors on the filter regulator. At the fule rail I was able to pull off the Earls'sadaptor w/o too much force. I think the green plastic retainer is not up to the task.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-24-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey glad to hear that worked for you. Where did you find one? Is the number in my post above a good one?

Pat
Old 07-26-2007, 05:25 AM
Launching!

I actually had a corvette line, that initially I was going to use, but went w/ the AN one since it was longer.
This is first ine I used w/ the AN to fuel rail adaptor. THanks Pat
Old 04-24-2012, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm gonna revive this ancient thread because it pops up alot in search results. The new, updated fitting has a thread-on retainer, rather than a plastic squeeze-clip.
__________________________________________________ ______________ (blue)___(black)
-6 AN Male to 5/16" SAE Quick-Disconnect Female with threaded retaining cap..... 644110....644113
-6 AN Male to 3/8" SAE Quick-Disconnect Female with threaded retaining cap....... 644120....644123
-8AN Male to 3/8" SAE Quick-Disconnect Female with threaded retaining cap........ 644130....644133

Old 04-24-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought these from the speed shop down the streed and work just fine with my 65 psi fuel pressure.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Line near miss-dscn1242.jpg   Fuel Line near miss-dscn1177.jpg   Fuel Line near miss-dscn1063.jpg  
Old 04-25-2012, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am still in favor of Brazing AN fitting on any hard line. How offen do 90% of us disconnect there fuel line(s) and the AN fitting is much more secure anyway.

BC
Old 04-25-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

Question The Switch Metal Fuel Lines...

Originally Posted by bczee
I am still in favor of Brazing AN fitting on any hard line. How offen do 90% of us disconnect there fuel line(s) and the AN fitting is much more secure anyway.

BC
I want to get away from my blue aero-quip push-lok rubber fuel lines coming off the back of my vette filter/regulator w/aluminum AN fittings. They connect to the factory steel fuel lines coming from my trucks fuel tank, via compression fittings now. How would you recommend I proceed, using strickly metal line(s). Thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not really sure what your trying to do. Need a few more details on what you have or using.

But if your using the Vette FPR, you are stuck with using either the OEM or a Aftermarket Connectors (Quick Disconnet). Unless you mod the filter everything you change it out.

Most or all of the Aftermarket QD's (Earl's, Russell, etc) are threaded with a male AN -6 fitting, you should still use a AN fitting and some hose to connect the fitting to the hard line to keep vibration from shaking or breaking something.

You still have the option of brazing a AN fitting on the Tank outlet tube the hardlien to the Front / Fuel Rail and then us some Braided hose and AN Fittings. Other options is to use a 1) Compression adapter fitting or 2) use a standard AN Tube nut and sleeve, but you will need to flare it with a 37 degrees flare.

You could alway do away with the Vette FPT completely and use a aftermarek regulator and filter. You would still have to connect them to the hard line by using a flare (for AN or NPT) fitting, braze an AN fitting on or use a Compression adatper.

Hope this helps some. You do have some options.

BC

Quick Reply: Fuel Line near miss