Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You want GM cruise control on your cable driven TB

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default You want GM cruise control on your cable driven TB

I have decided that since no one has made a post with all the needed info I would give it a shot.

**Please note ** Some of this information is from other members so if it's missing things or you know of things I missed let me know. I am also a VERY bad speller so.... sorry in advance.

** I will be using 1999 F-body schematics and directly removed information from GM repair manuals so as I need to stress these are from GM and I claim no rights to these ....**

1) I personally used a 1999-up F-body cruise control module. I have a 98 ls1 setup and the 99 uses the same throttle body so the 99 cable worked perfectly!
If I had a 2000 f-body setup I would have needed the 2000-up cable however the cruise control module is the same.

2) from what I have been told the 4.3 s-10 module will work as well. I have not tried this but I don't see why it would not if the cable fits the ls1 throttle linkage and is correctly spaced for tention on the cruise cable. this should hold true for any of the later GM cruise control modules and cables. But be careful! many of the cables connect to the cruise control module in a differant fashion (3 seperate ways that I can think of from the top of my head) making it hard to just swap cables around. some of the truck 4.3 ones look like they attach just like the ls1 f-body cable so... this may work???

now lets get to the wiring!!

as you may have guessed by now all of the GM cruise modules of the later desighs look to have been wired up the same. (I have looked at alot and this seems like a standard however you will need to double check to make sure befor cooking I mean hooking up your module )

so here we go,

Pin. Use

A ........ Cruise "ON/OFF" input from switch
B ........ Set/Coast input from switch
C ........ Resume/Accel input from switch
D ........ Normally Hot 12v from brake/clutch switch
E ........ Ground
F ........ Hot in run 12v
G ........ Normally 0v brake input (needs 12v from brake applied only!)
H ........ Cruise inhibit signal pcm control (needed depending on year make and model! 99-up f-body needs this to work unless you use a differant year cruise control)
J ......... Cruise engaged status to pcm (not needed!)
K ........ VSS from pcm/feed to cluster

right from the service manual.......

"Battery voltage is applied to terminal F of the cruise control module when the ignition switch is in the RUN position. When the slider switch is moved to the ON position, battery voltage is applied to terminal A of the cruise control module. The cruise control module needs to receive brake input voltage at one of the following terminals once each ignition cycle before allowing cruise to operate:
Terminal D
Terminal G
The brake input voltage is received at the cruise control module through the following components:

The A/C CRUISE Fuse 12
The cruise control release brake switch
The cruise control clutch switch on vehicles equipped with a manual transmission
The voltage to the cruise control module terminal D is interrupted if either of the above switches is open. Terminal G must see a ground path through the CHMSL bulb in order for the cruise to operate properly. If the brake pedal is depressed, battery voltage is present at the module terminal G. When the slider switch is moved to the RESUME/ACCEL position, battery voltage is applied to terminal C of the module. With the set switch depressed, battery voltage is present at cruise module terminal B. Cruise module connector terminal K is the speed signal terminal. During operation the voltage will oscillate between the following levels:

A high of 4 to 5 volts
A low of near ground
The cruise module ground is at module terminal E."

also would like to note that a stalk switch from the 80s-up GM cars and trucks should work. they need to be normally open type.
Attached Thumbnails You want GM cruise control on your cable driven TB-cruise1.gif   You want GM cruise control on your cable driven TB-cruise2.gif  

Last edited by 89 formula350; 11-07-2007 at 11:04 PM. Reason: updating info
The following users liked this post:
Hey_Allen (12-17-2020)
Old 09-29-2007, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You, Sir, are an angel sent from above...

Last edited by NoRotor88; 09-29-2007 at 07:07 PM. Reason: I can't spell!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks,

after more testing and some real indepth work I have come to this...

terminal "H" is needed on most systems! however the chevy and gmc trucks seem to be more common in not needing this. (example of one is a 2000 gmc 4.3 sonoma) it has the same size and shape as the ls1 camaro and firebird module it will act and work just like the 98 ls1 setup which does not need the signals from the pcm, you can use the cable on it or buy the correct cable for your throttle body

now on to the signals from/to teminal "H" for you 98 and or carbed ls1 users. These are pretty indepth and short of making a micro controller to reproduce these on/off signals (which I actually know the times order) I don't see many ways around this.

Last edited by 89 formula350; 10-06-2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: cleaning up some spelling
Old 10-05-2007, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

GREAT write up. Im glad this made it to sticky. I too had noticed a bunch of people saying they hooked it up, and giving some info...but no where near this complete! I have my cruise installed, but not wired. What you posted is exactly what I figured out as well...more or less. I just havent had a chance to test mine. Nice to know its gonna work out!!!

Good job!

Justin
Old 10-06-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the comments...

I had been driving mine with out cruise and I have to tell you driving down the Hwy on 45 min trips each way makes you miss the cruise. I was very happy to see just how simple it really was to hook up. I hope this post helps others like me who had to deal with the 98 ecm not having a signal to pin H on the cruise module.

Last edited by 89 formula350; 10-06-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 89 formula350
thanks,

after more testing and some real indepth work I have come to this...

terminal "H" is needed on most systems! however the chevy and gmc trucks seem to be more common in not needing this. (example of one is a 2000 gmc 4.3 sonoma) it has the same size and shape as the ls1 camaro and firebird module it will act and work just like the 98 ls1 setup which does not need the signals from the pcm, you can use the cable on it or buy the correct cable for your throttle body

now on to the signals from/to teminal "H" for you 98 and or carbed ls1 users. These are pretty indepth and short of making a micro controller to reproduce these on/off signals (which I actually know the times order) I don't see many ways around this
please look into this
Old 10-07-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what do you need to know specifically? it is kinda complicated when using the pcm signals. since the pcm sends ground pulses as a comunication to the Cruise unit. The part# 25315091 (found on 99-up F-body cars) @ about 20 mph needs to see a bunch of grounding signals spaced on/off at differant rates to operate on the first attempt from key on, once the car slows down below or about 20 mph it needs a differant signal while slowing down to reactivate on the next attempt

the truck ones will work best. just make sure the one you choose does not use the "H" terminal and you will be good to go.

if you want to know the signals times on/off I have let me know I will find the paper I have it writen down on

Last edited by 89 formula350; 11-07-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Teching In

what do you need to know specifically? it is kinda complicated when using the pcm signals. since the pcm sends ground pulses as a comunication to the Cruise unit. The part# 25315091 (found on 99-up F-body cars) @ about 20 mph needs to see a groop of grounding signals spaced on/off at differant rates to operate on the first attempt from key on, once the car slows down below or about 20 mph it needs a differant signal while slowing down to reactivate on the next attempt

the truck ones will work best. just make sure the one you choose does not use the "H" terminal and you will be good to go.

if you want to know the signals times on/off I have let me know I will find the paper I have it writen down on
so, as long as the H terminal is not wired (oe with a truck box), then it will work as you put up the wiring?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by droc
so, as long as the H terminal is not wired (oe with a truck box), then it will work as you put up the wiring?
correct.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Teching In

correct.
cool, thanks

so, in theory, the truck box can be used on any vehicle with a VSS, correct?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by droc
cool, thanks

so, in theory, the truck box can be used on any vehicle with a VSS, correct?
correct again. I would say it would need to have a 4000 pulse per mile signal or close to it for the input just like the speedo needs to see.

(so let's say you have a carbed ls1/t56 and you run the speed signal to your speedo through a converter box you should be fine )
Old 10-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Teching In

correct again. I would say it would need to have a 4000 pulse per mile signal or close to it for the input just like the speedo needs to see.

(so let's say you have a carbed ls1/t56 and you run the speed signal to your speedo through a converter box you should be fine )
cool, thanks again, time to go hunt through the junkyards
Old 11-10-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

when looking for a truck cruise control you can also look at 4.3 s-10 and blazer cruise control's as the wireing is the same on 94 and later trucks for sure.I don't know about the pre 93 though. I am currently running a 2000 blazer box on a 02 silverado with no mods what so ever. the s-10 have a little shorter cable but they are the right size for the f-body's the silverado require a a little longer cable. about 3/4 inch longer.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dogger
when looking for a truck cruise control you can also look at 4.3 s-10 and blazer cruise control's as the wireing is the same on 94 and later trucks for sure.I don't know about the pre 93 though. I am currently running a 2000 blazer box on a 02 silverado with no mods what so ever. the s-10 have a little shorter cable but they are the right size for the f-body's the silverado require a a little longer cable. about 3/4 inch longer.
excellent, thanks for the info
Old 12-23-2007, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is getting awfully tempting to do If the Blazer control works, I can get those at the junkyard for $30 no problem - the cable length isn't crucial to me since I can move the box around before I mount it down.

In the interest of keeping my GMC 'all GM' (heh) did GM ever make a cruise stalk that doesn't have the wiper controls on it? My truck has the wiper controls on the dashboard.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IOwnCalculus
This is getting awfully tempting to do If the Blazer control works, I can get those at the junkyard for $30 no problem - the cable length isn't crucial to me since I can move the box around before I mount it down.

In the interest of keeping my GMC 'all GM' (heh) did GM ever make a cruise stalk that doesn't have the wiper controls on it? My truck has the wiper controls on the dashboard.

yes they did on several models. one that comes to mind off the top of my head is the 89-(90/91) grand am, some cars from the early 80's had more of a plain looking stalk with only the cruise buttons as well

you may need to just walk through a pick and pull until you find what you like
Old 12-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

what about a cruise control switch to cut it on and off if you got a early 70's muscle car with tilt? love the ideas so far be nice for long road trips.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Okay, so I am a little confused. I have a module from a 1998 Trans Am. If I am understanding right I can hook it up to my 1991 Z28 using the pinout above. Excluding the H pin and it will work, right?

Secondly, I can hook it up to my factory 91' cruise wiring from my vacumn operated cruise and utilize my factory controls on my wiper arm, right?

I have the factory wiring laying there, and I have the cut pig tail from the donor T/a I got the module from. Thanks
Old 06-29-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bradlyj8Z28
Okay, so I am a little confused. I have a module from a 1998 Trans Am. If I am understanding right I can hook it up to my 1991 Z28 using the pinout above. Excluding the H pin and it will work, right?

Secondly, I can hook it up to my factory 91' cruise wiring from my vacumn operated cruise and utilize my factory controls on my wiper arm, right?

I have the factory wiring laying there, and I have the cut pig tail from the donor T/a I got the module from. Thanks
*correct.

* you can use the stock cruise/wiper switch on your 91 camaro.

sounds like you have it.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

I have a 2003 5.3 truck engine with drive-by-wire throttle and a 94 S10 Blazer column. I don't have the body control module though. Do I need it?

Quick Reply: You want GM cruise control on your cable driven TB