Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67/6.0 chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67/6.0 chevelle

I have resently started a 67 chevelle project. I took a 396 out and disassemblied the body down to the frame. I have a body man that is going to do the body work and a buddy to help with the motor. I am going to put a 2000 6.0 in with a 4L80. I hope to get started soon. I would like to know if anyone else is doing this or has done this and would be willing to give me some advise. Also if any one knows where to get any bolt on kits, and if I need a new cross member or if my old one will work with this modification. Can any tell me if there is clearance for the 4L80 in the tunnel?
Old 01-19-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is quite a few people here that has done the swap. (LS1 into A body) There are many differnt ways of doing it, depending on buget, and what assy you want to run. I myself used the S&P mounts with a custom made oil pan from Canton. Not the cheapest way, but its the way I wanted it done. I also used a complete S&P front drive assy, which allowed me to run air without cutting up my engine crossmember.

What you need to do is tell us what your goals are as far as assy. your wanting to run and your buget. Than you will get more detail information.

Ron
Old 01-19-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

While not a complete inventory of what you may need with your Chevelle, you can download a spreadsheet of all of our costs and sources for our 67 F-Body build here:
http://hosted.filefront.com/67rsss

Some of your questions are hard to answer without a bit more information. The plates you decide to use are really going to decide a lot of things. You will also need to get some small-block pedastals, all the adapter plates I know of are based on the short-n-wide SBC mounting. There are several A-body swaps on here that have turned out nicely. You may as well plan on a little clearancing in the tunnel, nothing major, but you may run into a few tightish spots. I know you would with a T56, not certain with the 4L80E. Are you going to stay with the truck accesories, or are you going to convert to the F or Y body setup? The intake can be an issue, as well as the alternator and AC compressor depending on which accesory plan you use. Go see the first page of the 67-69 F Body swap under the hall of fame sticky, there are some good pics of the different acc routing schemes. You will need to either modify an F-body pan (or pay to have it modified) or you can look into one of the aftermarket pans. BRP claims that the LH8 an will work with their mounts in this app (expensive). You will either have to modify and relocate your existing crossmember, buy a new one, or fab one. Watch your pinion angle. Your fuel system can be as simple or as complicated as you want. We went the pricey route with the Rock Valley tank, and will do it again. May cost a few pennies, but it is made better than I can do myself, and we are very happy with it. You will need to ensure you have sufficient cooling for your trans, and you may be able to adapt the donor vehicles rad to fit (many have in other apps). You can always buy a fancy new one ($$$$$$$) or some people have gotten away with the stock radiator in their vehicle in their swaps just adding the fans. There is a lot involved, but you will be very impressed when you are done. Worth every nickle, scraped knuckle, and late night.

Oh, and plan on a few suspension and brake upgrades while you are in there. Just doesn't make sense not to get the most out of the job while you have everything apart. There is a lot you can do to get the Chevelle to handle very, very well. Replace all the body bushings while you are at it, cheap but impressive.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

One of the most important pieces of info we need to help you is if you are willing to cut your trans tunnel and restructure it for the 4L80? While this is not mandatory for installation, all mount configurations utilizing the 80E will require some sort of tunnel mods, weather its a BFH or complete restructure is based on the mount.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:28 AM
Launching!

I do not want to cut or modify. I Would like to keep the body stock or very close. I have already up greaded the brakes. who knows what my budget mite be. I havent made my mine up on all detales. that is why i would like your input. I would apresseate
the help (i am not agenst the 4L60 but i want the 4L80) I JUST WANT A DRIVER THAT SOUND GOOD AND HAS LOTS OF MUSCAL.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I say you should just throw in the towel and let me just come pick that old rag up.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Launching!

I think you mite have a point but it still your daddy
Old 01-20-2008, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Some sort of tunnel modification is necessary with a 4L80E, you can mount the engine with S&P style mounts using an aftermarket "swap" oil pan from Moroso, Milodon, Autokraft, ATS, Canton, or Car Shop inc. If this route is chosen, minor tunnel clearancing with the 80E is required, just a few hits with a hammer. If you are planning on running A/C the frame is more than likely going to need to be notched if using the factory 6.0 accessory drive. Tie rod clearance is also a concern with a bodies, this is remedied with playing with the motor mounts and installing height spacers where necessary. Hope this helps some more, keep em' coming.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kevin im currently doing the same exact swap in a conv. ill get back to you later after the football game meantime look up my thread . JOHN
Old 01-20-2008, 02:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We had a customer install one in a '71 Chevelle. I can ask him some questions if you need.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will be helping Kevin with his swap. After him seeing my swap during every stage, I had no luck trying to talk him out of the LSX...lol
I really don't think it's going to be as hard as mine was. Do to the fact we won't have to worry about the clutch crap and all.
I also don't think that the 4l80 will be an issue. As I told him the other day, we will need the body back on the chassis before we put it in. You can measure all you want, but there will always be an issue that pops up. Any way, all help will be appreciated .
Old 01-20-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a couple of notes,I'm using a 6.0 (ls2) y body ( corvette) new from gm.A 4l80e from a 99 pickup.as of now it seems to fit, but real tight where the trans is,maybe a 1/2 inch at its tightest.tie rod clearance is close too but it also looks good .currently i am fabricating a custom crossmember out of 1/2' steel for the trans.i also used a spacer to move the flywheel out closer to the t c.the headers are from s&p about 600$they fit real nice but i will have to grind out a small area of the inspection cover on the trans for the header collector to fit .the oil pan is also from s&p about 600$ for the pan and new pickup .Engine mounting... i used s&p style plates from carshop made of steel,short and wide style engine mounts with 2 sets of spacer plates that come with the mounts,and short style frame mounts.ive' yet to bolt anything in but as soon as i get the crossmember back from the welder ill bolt it all in. ive mocked this all up about a dozen times to make sure all clearances are good. time patients and this site are my best tools,ill update soon with progress and some pics .I may have to tweak the trans tunnel when i plug in the harness and the cooler lines.JOHN
Old 01-20-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you have a 1/2" clearance , you have about a 1/2" more than the T-56 did in the Mustang did. lol
Old 01-21-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

I just started a 1965 cutlass project, not sure but should be close to the 67 a body. The trans tunnel on mine was to tight on the passenger side were the cooling lines exit the trans. Had to be modified it to clear.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Launching!

I went by my buddy mikes this mornning and we orderd the monts from summet. They should be here friday. So will the tran if i can pay for it tomorrow, but I have to sell my 396 so I will have the money.THAT SUCKS. Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Launching!

I am still having troble posting my pics but i have made some progress this week. I sold the 396 and orderd my 4l80 it should be he this week my motor monts got here thursday and i orderd a oil pan from brp hot rods gm lh8 oil pan kit. I am still looking for a set of headers. I hope a local parts house can help me. he is also my body man. that stocks all classic chevy parts it is nice to have a place to go get most parts off the shelf. he thinks he can save me a little money we will see. As soon as everything gets here me and mike are going to get everything moced up. then pull it back out and work on putting cam in and start on frame build up (as soon as i get the body off) mike made a very good point when he said moch it up before i pull off body.He is the brains behind the project. I just know what i want and have to fork out the bucks to get it. hope to get some pics soon mike will probelly have to help me with that also.

Last edited by kevin 67/6.0; 01-11-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

What headers are you guys using?
Old 02-01-2008, 01:38 PM

sounds like a cool project...good luck with it
Old 02-01-2008, 01:51 PM
SKI
11 Second Club

I love my 67.......
Attached Thumbnails 67/6.0 chevelle-family-pics-339.jpg  
Old 02-01-2008, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SKI
I love my 67.......
Cool Chevelle. Thats exactly what Im getting ready to work on. What headers are you using?

Quick Reply: 67/6.0 chevelle