3rd time on the water with it

Old 06-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow badass
Old 06-23-2010, 04:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Quick question, are you using the original LQ4 injectors on an LS1 intake with aftermarket rails?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

WOW, that badass. How fast did it run with the LQ4 in it and which impeller is in the pump? I like how you re-drilled the heads for the Ford manifolds, great idea! At some point I'd like to get a jet-boat (we have an outboard tunnel hull).
Old 06-23-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was honestly thinking of doing a swap like this into a Tahiti Jet boat... now I HAVE to do it...
Old 06-27-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by garys 68
Quick question, are you using the original LQ4 injectors on an LS1 intake with aftermarket rails?
No, i cut the injector pigtails off and soldered on the LS1 style injector connectors and used 04 GTO injectors.

Originally Posted by ProStreetZ28
WOW, that badass. How fast did it run with the LQ4 in it and which impeller is in the pump? I like how you re-drilled the heads for the Ford manifolds, great idea! At some point I'd like to get a jet-boat (we have an outboard tunnel hull).
Thanks. Haven't totally dialed in the tune yet, nor have i GPS'd it, but it feels every bit as fast or faster than the big block....which is all i was really looking for. It has an aluminum "A" impeller in it right now. Will spin to 4800 or so at WFO. I'd like to move to a stainless B to get some more rpm out of this motor to take advantage of the high tech powerplant

I moved over from a Hydrostream mod-v tunnel outboard to a jet...those are FUN boats.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Did you have to build front and rear mounts or just the side mounts? Thinking about this too. Found a daycruiser project with a Berk f drive that had a 454 in it. Also the exhaust manifolds you used, 351 Cleveland, is it the same as the Winsdor/302 or is it bigblock ie 460 spaced. Anyone????

mike

Last edited by finiata; 07-07-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Glad to see you got your boat done, too.

I got mine wrapped up this weekend, but I'm using an LS1 block,closed cooling system, carb, and over the transom headers...so still a different setup. You're right though, they run just as good as the big blocks or better. Mine had a 468 Olds and this one will rev just as high, but seems to get there quicker. I still have to move the fuel to the rear to get the balance right...

Old 07-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

Boat looks good! Could you explain your closed loop system? ow does the water get cooled? A diagram maybe? Haven't got the/my boat yet but definitely gonna do this swap now, hell I have most everything I need.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:54 AM
Teching In

Glad to see more boats with the LS. Been running mine awhile, got alittle more than 20 hours on it, zero problems.
Attached Thumbnails LSx into Jet Boat??-hal2.jpg   LSx into Jet Boat??-halmotor.jpg   LSx into Jet Boat??-hal1.jpg  
Old 07-09-2010, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by finiata
Boat looks good! Could you explain your closed loop system? ow does the water get cooled? A diagram maybe? Haven't got the/my boat yet but definitely gonna do this swap now, hell I have most everything I need.
It uses a marine heat exchanger...the heat exchanger replaces the radiator as far as the engine is concerned. The heat exchanger gets cooled from the lake water. Water comes from the jet into the heat exchanger and then out the back of the boat. On the engine side, it still uses a water pump and thermostat. The main advantages are keeping trash out of the block (sand, dirt, etc), getting the LS up to operating temp (I don't have water logs to "pre-heat" the water), and if I fail to winterize properly...the engine isn't hurt.

The disadvantages are weight, slight loss of horsepower (until I go to an electric water pump), complexity, and obviously more pieces that could fail...
Old 07-10-2010, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love it man, more vids of it running.......please!

-SS
Old 07-19-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Some good looking boats on here with LS powerplants!

Some updates with my boat which is a '97 Ski Centurion 21' Elite. Began installation of a 2004 LS 5.3 engine with around 10K miles on it (sitting at a friends body shop from a totaled truck for 4yrs). This boat was custom setup with a 502 in it before I got it for the previous owner. Also has trim tabs, hydraulic steering, and a nice stereo with 2 Alpine amps, old school 12 disc CD changer, 4 tower Boston Acoustic speakers, and 6 more speakers inside with a 10" sub in front of the driver seat. It should thump! The 502 was removed and then the boat was sold to me.

Got the engine bolted up to existing Indmar trans/bellhousing required 4 notches in it to clear the rear upper timing bolts as they were contacting it. Shorter bolt heads would've cleared I believe. Running a Camaro flywheel with the trans/spline adapter hub from the old 502 setup. Camaro Fbody pan on the motor with Camaro oil pump.

Running some steel SBC to LS style adapter plates and then the boat mounts. Still need to properly position them and then redrill new holes in the aluminum plate that resides in the stringer.

Found a suitable source of water jacketed exhaust manifolds designed for LS style Gen III engines. Those arrive end of the week. Will post pics and more details when I get them and they actually work! They were not cheap but are all aluminum 2 piece style and look very nice.

Teaser photo. Next up is fuel system, wiring, cooling.

This is a fresh water boat so I'm thinking I should do a closed loop cooling system and running the stock style water pump with a Tstat.

Can people post up what their heat exchangers look like and where to get them and/or place them?
Attached Thumbnails LSx into Jet Boat??-5.3-positioning.jpg  
Old 07-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Yah I think Pandora's box has been opened. I'm jumping in too. So give in on the exhaust manifolds.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
It uses a marine heat exchanger...the heat exchanger replaces the radiator as far as the engine is concerned. The heat exchanger gets cooled from the lake water. Water comes from the jet into the heat exchanger and then out the back of the boat. On the engine side, it still uses a water pump and thermostat. The main advantages are keeping trash out of the block (sand, dirt, etc), getting the LS up to operating temp (I don't have water logs to "pre-heat" the water), and if I fail to winterize properly...the engine isn't hurt.

The disadvantages are weight, slight loss of horsepower (until I go to an electric water pump), complexity, and obviously more pieces that could fail...
Got cha, so the heat exchanger act as the radiator, run water pump and tstat as normal and closed loop. Jet pump pumps the cool water throught he heat exchanger and the exhaust manifolds, correct? Truthfully, I'm riding your coatails here since you've done all the leg work, thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Teching In

I bought a heat exchanger and was going to use it but decided against it. I wanted to clean up the looks of my motor, since it sits out in the open and the setup I'm running now works great. The heat exchanger that I bought was a Mercruiser 470 4" and I still have it in my shop. I would sell it to one of ya'll for 50 bucks plus shipping to help someone get another LS on the water. It is heavy so shipping will be about 30 or 40 bucks but they go on Ebay for 100 to 300 I think.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by carykard
I bought a heat exchanger and was going to use it but decided against it. I wanted to clean up the looks of my motor, since it sits out in the open and the setup I'm running now works great. The heat exchanger that I bought was a Mercruiser 470 4" and I still have it in my shop. I would sell it to one of ya'll for 50 bucks plus shipping to help someone get another LS on the water. It is heavy so shipping will be about 30 or 40 bucks but they go on Ebay for 100 to 300 I think.
I'll grab it. PM me your PP.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

awesome boats...
Old 07-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Launching!

makes me want to build one
Old 07-20-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Compressor Surge
First time on the water with it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qI0BsAc9WI

3rd time on the water with it

BAD ***!! Glad to see its all running well, now stick some turbo's on that sucker.

BTW had fun talking to you on Power Tour. (silver T/A)

Quick Reply: LSx into Jet Boat??