48.75%
I think it would look terrible
11.25%
I will wait to see the prototype to judge
37.50%
I would buy one for sure
8.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Trans Ams Who would be interested in the coupe wing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also still waiting, i hope that if you do decide to make it, it would be an iroc spoiler as it would go more with the lines of the vert!
Old 07-12-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Too many fires in the iron, IMHO
-unsubscribing-
Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Teching In

please do this
Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 PM
FormerVendor

I own 2 convertibles, so ya it will happen. Trufiber says they are too busy, the other guy flaked so last friday I had a conversation with LS1Dave about making it. He is game we just need to get together to do it now. The project sat for a while but I should have it moving forward again real soon.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Teching In

that would be absolutely amazing..
Old 09-19-2009, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD
I don't wan't one on mine, I like it on the coupe but realy don't like vert's w/wings
Mustang verts w/wing just look funny to me
hi
where u get the light bar from?
thank
Old 09-19-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by doom brincer
hi
where u get the light bar from?
thank
You could get them from RKSport, but they no longer make them, only way to find one now is used.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:08 PM
FormerVendor

UPDATE - Finally took the first step

Good News and bad.
I can tell you there is a reason that noone has bothered to do it.

Open your trunk and take a look at the mounting hardware for the trunk. where it bolts to the car is just about even with the lines of the quarter panel. If you notice the trunk lid uses the extra space affored by the built in spoiler.

Also the front of the trunk where the weatherstripping is is too high for the coupe hatch and on the sides it is lietally down to just one layer of the plastic thick, which will cause problems (too overcome )

I took a coupe hatch and i started to modify it to get an idea of what is going to be required and the clearances available. It does not look good right now.

The next step is to get with my buddy and see if we can use fiberglass to complete the trunk lid. I may have to widen the spoiler just a shade to make room under the spoiler mounting locations for the trunk hinges without affecting the lines.

You can see in the pictures.

Oh and a big thanks to the ***** that thought he would try and steal the car and break in with a knife. Its a roller (hense the 12sec launch angle)

Old 10-17-2009, 07:28 PM
FormerVendor

Heres a few more for ya.
you can get an idea of how it will look now. I think I like it with the top up, have to see with the top down.

You can see here how much had to be rmoved just to get it to sit flush.
It will need a buldge in the middle like the stock truck lid to fit the trunk.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:20 PM
FormerVendor

couldn't help but to do a little work to the pic
Old 10-18-2009, 04:04 AM
Banned

Glad to see this moving along; can't wait to see the finished results. Good luck man!

DM
Old 10-20-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

I may have to widen the spoiler just a shade to make room under the spoiler mounting locations for the trunk hinges without affecting the lines.
Good idea. This would also make it easier to get the spoiler to line-up w/ the "winglets" (at least width-wise/horizontally anyway). I like that you've been able to maintain the same "overhang" of the rear of the spoiler WRT the end of the deck lid as on the coupe, this makes it look "authentic" (in contrast to that other guy's attempt where it hung too far out over the end of the deck). However, I think that you could shorten the "legs" of the spoiler a little bit to get the front edges to line-up w/ the winglets better (vertically) and still maintain a "stock look" (although the gap under the spoiler would end up being shorter than on the coupe).

It also wouldn't hurt to move it back a smidgen to reduce the rake a little to help it line-up with the winglets. If there is anyway you can avoid having to modify the winglets, it will make it easer to market this as a real "bolt-on" part. Otherwise, you'll need to also provide modified winglets, which will drive up your NRE and make the end product more costly.

Otherwise, looks like you are making EXCELLENT progress! Keep up the good work, I'm definately getting interested in this project again.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Glad to see this is still being worked on. I thought it had died off a while ago. Stil lkeeping an eye on it and still interested though.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:51 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Good idea. This would also make it easier to get the spoiler to line-up w/ the "winglets" (at least width-wise/horizontally anyway). I like that you've been able to maintain the same "overhang" of the rear of the spoiler WRT the end of the deck lid as on the coupe, this makes it look "authentic" (in contrast to that other guy's attempt where it hung too far out over the end of the deck). However, I think that you could shorten the "legs" of the spoiler a little bit to get the front edges to line-up w/ the winglets better (vertically) and still maintain a "stock look" (although the gap under the spoiler would end up being shorter than on the coupe).

It also wouldn't hurt to move it back a smidgen to reduce the rake a little to help it line-up with the winglets. If there is anyway you can avoid having to modify the winglets, it will make it easer to market this as a real "bolt-on" part. Otherwise, you'll need to also provide modified winglets, which will drive up your NRE and make the end product more costly.

Otherwise, looks like you are making EXCELLENT progress! Keep up the good work, I'm definately getting interested in this project again.
I am looking at defintely having to make custom "winglets" I will worry about that after I get the rest done. It should not be a problem. I am hoping I can make the hinges without having to modify the spoiler that would be a real pain in the *** to make it an inch wider. You can't split it in the middle because of the taillight and the headaches that would bring. So that would mean two cuts.

This weekend I will check the clearances for the hinges to start a mold and fill in the missing area then start shaping it.

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Glad to see this is still being worked on. I thought it had died off a while ago. Stil lkeeping an eye on it and still interested though.
No, it fell to the back burner for a while and I was unable to get help from either our hood company or the fiberglass specalist, so you know what they say "If you want a job done right..." well I am doing it myself.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To keep the lines clean, the "winglets" will have to be modified IMO. Otherwise it's going to slope up at the hinge point. For what this whole setup is going to cost at market, unclean lines would be a deal breaker for me personally. I commend you guys for attempting this!

This is something a friend of mine tried at his bodyshop back around 97. He started with a camaro vert lid and trimmed as necessary then added a bunch of glass and who knows what else. In the end he ended up scrapping the whole idea and went back to stock.

The funny thing is the only reason i haven't bought a vert is because of the spoiler! If this new wing works out, i finally be able to get my vert!

Best of luck!
Old 12-15-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stroker,

What number do I call in order to have this here in time for Christmas?
Old 12-18-2009, 12:03 AM
FormerVendor

Haha Ya I wish I had it done this has taken much longer then originally intended.

I have by no means given up on it. In fact it is progressing. I have been working on it and now I have 2 new sources for help with the new fiberglass so the prototype should start coming along quickly now. Once it is done I can have it sent off for production, which should take 3 months or so before they are ready for sale. So I am thinking April or thereabouts as I plan to have the prototype done by the end of Jan.

I will be working on it some more this Sat. I will snap some pics. i have had it sitting on there and it looks real good. I have no idea why GM never made this in the first place, I checked and it does no impeed the rear view vision at all with the top up (perhaps when the top is down slightly).
Old 12-19-2009, 07:58 PM
FormerVendor

Well in case we have anyone still following this thread. I met with a fiberglass guy today who can help expedite the project. If you have wondered it has been progressing (slowly) but should be ready in Jan for the fiberglass to finish the prototype.

Here are some pics

About a month ago I was working on the hinge spacing (failed miserably)
and a template to fill the gap left by the window.

The spoiler is going to have to make room to accomodate the hinges somewhat.

The final spacing was sorted out today, so that the fit will be good

The hole was filled with 2 pcs of 1/8th inch plywood. This will be smooths and eventually covered with fiberglass. But is is one solid trunk lid now. Just a few minor issues to work out now.

Rearward visablilty will not be an issue, I has to raise the camera just so yu could see the spoiler. with the tp up it is at the same level as the bottom of the window.

I wanted to see what it would look like with the top down

The screws are temporary while the glue sets. I will put in countersunk ones next week and finish up some of the details. I will also mount the hinges and see about mounting the struts.

It's getting there, have patience the finish line is in site.

Here is a side profile

Old 12-19-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So do you plan to blend it into the wing strips on the body of the car, or make new wing strips as part of the package? Good work...can't wait to see the final product.

Is that your daughter? She's adorable.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

X2 on the question above. Its looking like you will need to make new winglets for it to look decent. Im really excited to see this completed, but my wallets hurting already just thinking about what it will cost. Btw what brakes are on that TA?

Quick Reply: Trans Ams Who would be interested in the coupe wing?