Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How to build an 8 sec Air to Air intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 01:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to build an 8 sec Air to Air intercooler

When you pick an intercooler, you should figure out a few important things first.

I realize this isnt an LS setup, but the math, sizing, and fab would be the same regardless of the platform.
  • Power
  • boost level
  • available frontal area
  • footprint for core and end tanks
  • pressure drop
  • intended use

This particular post is referring to a customers car we have in the shop. We had the opportunity to think outside the box, take data from Ryans GSS supra and improve on it.

• Power level will be 1250-1300 flywheel HP
  • boost level will be a compressor limited 76mm inducer billet wheel
  • available frontal area is good, lots of room.
  • footprint for core and end tanks Is tight, there is a compromise on tank sizing vs core sizing.
  • pressure drop is important, as every pound of boost matters here.
  • intended use is Standing mile and drag

The core I could fit was thicker than the biggest core on the market with a little tom foolery. Why this wasnt used or been made yet is beyond me.

Airflow to the actual core, from the turbo, is VERY important. Using 1/3 the core to cool 70% of the total flow is counter productive. This was one thing we wanted to improve on. End tank design is very important in efficiency. As you can see by this CFD model we did, the core is not used very efficiently. We aim to change that.

The shorter the core, the better. The first few inches are the most important, as that is where the most heat transfer occurs. This is why vertical flow intercoolers (top to bottom) are more efficient, but can be near impossible to fit due to car/chassis/platform constraints and often horizontal flow is used.

Shorter means less pressure drop. Less pressure drop=more power and over all a more efficient forced induction setup.

We ended up shortening the core 3.5", and adding an inch to core thickness. This allowed us a proper end tank to feed the entire face of the core, to help heat transfer while keeping pressure drop across the core in check.

here is the actual core, its a bar and plate piece sourced from Bell Cores. Coke can for reference.

You can see the cardboard cover to keep the fins from being damaged as I fabricate the tanks and mounts for the core.

I used a Jack to position it, it was the easiest thing to use and it allowed me to move it where I wanted it. This particular core is 37 pounds, so its no lightweight.

I mocked up the first end tank using a thinner aluminum that I could cut with hand shears and form very easily. The purpose was to save myself from killing my hands forming it and to have a proper template for later use. Using cardboard is great, and its what I use most of the time, this is just another alternative.

I then took that aluminum template, and mocked it up on my table. The inlet was 3.5", the core face was 6". This allowed me to draw the most progressive and gradual line to connect the two, and make another template.

Here is the result of that sketch. This is a great start.

Once I made the inner and outer arcs, I was able to make the lower shelf of the tank.

And here is that cardboard transferred to the final material. In theory, this is the right way to do it, leading into that compressor outlet tube. Im being optimistic...read on to find out more LOL!

Here is our template, and our final lower shelf together. I tacked the bottom shelf to the core so it would not move.

And the inner and outer walls of the tank complete.

I went ahead and cut the "tail" off the shelf/floor. It provided to be too difficult to form the material all the way around the curve, for all 4 sides. I cut it where I did, as that was the centerline of a 70* bend, and a Vband would line up perfectly as I neared completion.

I went ahead and removed the core from the car and started the roof of the tank. This is a tricky piece, much like a puzzle. There was a lot of post primary cut trimming. this was the hardest piece.

Before I put that roof on, I intended to weld as much as I could on the inside of the tank. You can see here, as I preheat the aluminum ( Makes is MUCH easier to weld) the moisture forming. If you dont do this, it will make for a terrible weld. Preheat it to atleast 175* and your life will be much easier.

This is the roof, it bends and curves in 3 different directions. this took me over an hour to make this one part.

With the Roof welded on, you can see now that I can mock up the bend leading into the tank, and the necessary Vband. I will explain the pie shaped cuts shortly. I will tack this Vband in place, and weld it later off the car.

On to the drivers side tank, or the "cold side"

I didnt take pics of the template in progress, but this is the result. You can see my plan here, making the transition to the tube as straight as possible. Less bends = better flow= less restriction.

You can see what Im after here- one nice curve to keep the airflow happy flowing into the tube that feeds the TB.

Since I knew that my outlet was 3.5", and I had a small window to work around, I went ahead and pulled the core back off, and tacked on the inside most wall of the cold tank.

Once that was all finished, I started the roof for the cold tank.

Back to the hot tank- You can see here, the pie shapes are cut, and the Vband is tacked in place

Remember the Pie shapes? This allows a nice transition to the tubes that feed and draw from the core.

Sometimes what you want the aluminum to do and what it does are two different things....

Here she is all finished!

Because I welded on this, the original 6061T6 is now annealed somewhat, and the weld is definately NOT T6.

What do we do? We see boot pressures in the mid 40s, sometimes even 50 psi of boost. The assembly must be strong and not fail. Heat treating it is a great way to add substantial strength with out much work.

The assembly was heated for one hour at a high temp in order to bring it back up to T5. Its OK to treat the entire core, as per bell.

Now to finish the rest of the car!

Louis
Old 01-12-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Incredible man! That is one sexy IC!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice craftsmanship...nice write up too...what's next up for the car...
Old 01-12-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I plan on making a vertical flow IC for a GTO and need to make a sheetmetal outlet over the radiator.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Post a CFD model for the new intercooler and see what kind of changes were made...

-Wade
Old 01-12-2011, 03:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor / 7 Second Club

Very nice piece, but why not put a air flow divider in the inlet side end tank. that would help even the air flow across the core. I would also liek to know what the pressure drop across the core is at high boost levels. I guess it being so thick it shouldn't be that bad.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:02 PM
9 Second Club

bad *** engineering and fabrication.

should do work.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tiago
should do work
...son
Old 01-12-2011, 04:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty cool.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Thats sick Louis.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Great write-up, Louis!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Great idea and ingenuity, should work great and increase efficiency!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:17 PM
SSU Moderator

I'd like to see the flow model on the new one too. Amazing work...and i know you're working within the confines of the car structure, but i wonder how much flow is still 'stuck' on the bottom half of the core.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Very nice Louis. This gives people an idea of what it takes to make power. Often people can't understand the cost of custom fabrication, because they don't know what goes into making one-off pieces such as this. It is a great example to share with new customers to explain why things cost so darn much!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

Great skillz Louis!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Launching!

looks good. I like it. Lets say I could fit a vertical flow intercooler. Would a 25x9x3.5 thick core work good? with opposite facing end tanks for flow? I would like to build my own end tanks, but the tools and time currently are against me.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Banned

like a boss.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GoldRust
Very nice piece, but why not put a air flow divider in the inlet side end tank. that would help even the air flow across the core. I would also liek to know what the pressure drop across the core is at high boost levels. I guess it being so thick it shouldn't be that bad.
I will model a turning vane, we were kicking that idea around a few days ago. I shortened it up quite a bit over the base design I had to work with for the very reason of pressure drop across the core.

Originally Posted by Reckless
Very nice Louis. This gives people an idea of what it takes to make power. Often people can't understand the cost of custom fabrication, because they don't know what goes into making one-off pieces such as this. It is a great example to share with new customers to explain why things cost so darn much!
Thanks Todd, I have about 40 hours in the tanks and fab, and probably another 60 hours in CFD modeling.

Originally Posted by typhoon1015
looks good. I like it. Lets say I could fit a vertical flow intercooler. Would a 25x9x3.5 thick core work good? with opposite facing end tanks for flow? I would like to build my own end tanks, but the tools and time currently are against me.
With the airflow flowing which direction? The thicker the core, the better, if you can make it fit. The shortest possible route for the air the better as well
Old 01-12-2011, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Looks very clean. I would love to hear what an apples to apples difference would be with the same core and typical "square" end tanks. Thats alot of damn work.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Great post!

Quick Reply: How to build an 8 sec Air to Air intercooler