Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS install pics... and stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STS install pics... and stuff...

well, been doin the install...and just takin pictures...

here is our power steering cooler.... didn't like the fitting of the factory one with the piping from the STS kit... got this as a 99 (but you can also get it as a 01) upper radiator hose w/o power steering cooler

upper radiator hose removed w/ ps cooler

clearances of hoses

Yes, this is our garage and our lift and our airtools and our heaters....etc
thank god for a lift too... got tired of driveway jobs

place for new power steering cooler and air pump mod

air pump breather and power steering cooler in

another shot

now I bet most of you are wondering what in the hell!!! Yes, its a resistor. ceramic 10 ohm, 100W. and the story behind me posting this is that they don't make these anymore and this is just one weird lookin' resistor

Now, this picture about sums up all the fun I have had installing this STS kit. The small resistor is STS's 25W, 2 ohm resistor. the big resistor is a 2 ohm, 50W resistor... well STS claims that this 25W resistor gets REALLY REALLY HOT. which it does.... so why not use a different resistor, a 50W and have it run MUCH MUCH cooler.... so I did.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:50 AM
Banned

Default subscribing

Watching!
Old 12-30-2006, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

WOW, can't wait to see your face the first time ya take it out and hammer it! More pics and then some vids. Nice job.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Did you go up under the rear end with your cold piping that is what it looks like? I have to do the same thing. I was just wondering if you ran into any problems while doing that if you did. I have a moser 9" so that is what they recommended I do.

Jimmy
Old 12-30-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

i have no problems. followed the guide like it said

she should be running by the end of today.. and by running I mean we are double checking everything cranking it...running for 20sec making sure oiling is right.. and so forth. tomorrow will be the truth
Old 12-30-2006, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

So you didn't route the cold side under the rear?
Old 12-30-2006, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Bad ***! All I can think about right now is how do I get the wife to buy me a lift!!
Old 12-30-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00WHITETA
So you didn't route the cold side under the rear?
it goes exactly like the instructions say in the STS kit. I will post pictures here soon. lunch break (late lunch) what me doin now
Old 12-30-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NICE its nice to know that there are other "zip tie kings" out there just like me.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

I'm watching closely - what kind of headers are you running? Ceramic coated? Stainless? Just FYI: people have had much better spool times with stock manifolds and Y with rear mounts. The headers (even when wrapped) seem to let out too much heat no matter what they're coated with and that kills velocity to the turbo. I may be going back to stock manifolds soon so I can start saving to put in an STS kit of my own. Right now I'm running duals so I couldn't save much money keeping the headers on there anyways.

by the way, what are you planning on doing for the intercooler? Just keep the front mount and take out the license plate bracket and fog lights or are you planning on doing something special? This has been one of my biggest dillemas with going with a turbo since I don't like that look much but I wouldn't really care with 450rwhp+ under my ****... heh
Old 12-30-2006, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
I'm watching closely - what kind of headers are you running? Ceramic coated? Stainless? Just FYI: people have had much better spool times with stock manifolds and Y with rear mounts. The headers (even when wrapped) seem to let out too much heat no matter what they're coated with and that kills velocity to the turbo. I may be going back to stock manifolds soon so I can start saving to put in an STS kit of my own. Right now I'm running duals so I couldn't save much money keeping the headers on there anyways.

by the way, what are you planning on doing for the intercooler? Just keep the front mount and take out the license plate bracket and fog lights or are you planning on doing something special? This has been one of my biggest dillemas with going with a turbo since I don't like that look much but I wouldn't really care with 450rwhp+ under my ****... heh

You can always go methanol inj. That's what im doing.

Jimmy
Old 12-30-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

are those cats or just shells to make it look like you have them
Old 12-30-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

kooks headers, stainless. they are getting wrapped and the intake is getting wrapped that is a catted y-pipe. I do have a catless y-pipe... thats another story that for right now i'm not going into.

with an intercooler i'm going to be leaving the front bird as it looks like this....

I'm not going methanol as i don't want to have to refill anything or deal with any more electrical wires in the car... yes i'm bout damn tired of wiring stuff.
An intercooler is there...is always there, its a 1 time investment as my car is staying at 5psi. I'm telling you this b/c unless I get a **** load of money and a built motor I'm not spending more on my car. I wanted to build a fun daily driver @450HP+
Old 12-31-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

MORE PICS...

here is that new resistor i put in... and its not going to get near as hot...as its double the wattage (2 ohm 50W) vs 2 ohm 25W in the kit they give you

the passneger side switch

took pcm out to put in alarm

rear of car

rear of car2

rear of car3, where it goes over the axle

Spliced MAF connection

Spliced MAF connection done

The funky resistor... and my resistor box with more 2ohm 50W resistors... lol

she should be running by lunchtime sunday...at this time in about 10hrs....lol

goodnight @1:30am, startin @8am tomorrow and hopin to crank around lunchtime or a little after
Old 12-31-2006, 12:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good.... good luck tomorrow; this stuff always takes longer than we seem to plan for.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:16 AM
Banned

Nice!

Can't wait until you get it going!

D Moss
Old 12-31-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good pics. I am really interested in the intercooler; I want one but refuse to put the butt ugly mouth on the front of my bird.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Very good pics. I am really interested in the intercooler; I want one but refuse to put the butt ugly mouth on the front of my bird.
d*** right!!!!!! LOL.

dad knows all about fluids/thermo and all that great stuff... i'm going to be taking those classes over this coming summer, but we are going to run some calculations and see what size IC we need

do you think I should give some of these pics to STS to brighten up some gray areas.... lol
Old 12-31-2006, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

awesome! how come some kits have black pipes?? i know mine didnt....
Old 12-31-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
awesome! how come some kits have black pipes?? i know mine didnt....
...hehehehehehhehehehehe I started painting them all will be black cept for the one LONG pipe as from the side to normal people (no one up here) it would like like the exhaust from first glance. also we gotta paint the pipe that goes to the TB... but thats after it gets running!!!!!!

AND ITS ALIVE!!!!! haven't driven it yet but going to soon. gotta mount the boost gauge in and put all the panels back in but other than that its done. no leaks and no problems... knock on WOOOOOOOD.

we did everything our way and according to the instructions. lets just hope we don't melt a hose/wire and what not.

still gotta flash the new tune in her before i drive it...but its a GO!!

Quick Reply: STS install pics... and stuff...