Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

f.a.s.t , ls6, or stock intake on a supercharged ls1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 02:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EFI vic jr or ls6 intake! dont waste you money on BBK or Weind
Old 07-23-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ls6>fast>ls1
Old 07-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 52172
ls6>fast>ls1
I think you're mixed up here.

The LS6 is not a better intake manifold than the FAST. It may be cheaper, a lot cheaper, but in terms of performance it is not better.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

No I am not mixed up here it does perform better and will make more rwhp than the fast when used with FI. Do some research. It can handle a lot more boost= more power.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

well, if it was me, i would stick with the LS6 intake.

you wont be giving up any power, since its an FI car.

i would then sell the FAST intake along with the other intake... then put the money back into something else in the car.

if you're running boost to the point where the LS6 intake is a limitation, the FAST intake is also a limit.... because they're both front inlet candy cane designs.. the main limit from these intakes from an FI perspective is air distribution.... rammin in air makes the rear cyls go lean... if you want to counteract that, then a different style intake is required.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fast is a waste of money on FI. The added flow doesn't make any difference for FI over the LS6.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewstein
Fast is a waste of money on FI. The added flow doesn't make any difference for FI over the LS6.
You got proof to back that statement up, because I disagree with you?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedracer5532

I'm kind of sick of this debate but until someone does a swap from one to the other with a FI car and can prove the ls6 performs as well as the fast, I'm inclined to think if it makes that much more power with an N/A car(which has been proven) then I'm going to say it makes more power with FI as well. And don't give me the "just turn up the boost" argument because thats bull ****. You can turn up the boost on any set-up and make more power with worse parts. The only comparison that matters is exact same set ups except switching intakes. I know, I know, you can make 1200rwhp with a ls6. It doesn't matter, take that same car and put on a fast intake and you could be making 1250rwhp. That's not a proven statement, I'm just using it to get the point across. Somebody needs to do this and put an end to this argument.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
Yeah, one of the highest dynoing 91octane fed, stock head, stock bottom end LS1 was done with a LS6 intake. That dyno produced 641rwhp on 91 octane without meth or alchy.

A swap to the FAST didn't yield jack. It's a waste of money, trust the numbers in my sig.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rufretic

I'm kind of sick of this debate but until someone does a swap from one to the other with a FI car and can prove the ls6 performs as well as the fast, I'm inclined to think if it makes that much more power with an N/A car(which has been proven) then I'm going to say it makes more power with FI as well. And don't give me the "just turn up the boost" argument because thats bull ****. You can turn up the boost on any set-up and make more power with worse parts. The only comparison that matters is exact same set ups except switching intakes. I know, I know, you can make 1200rwhp with a ls6. It doesn't matter, take that same car and put on a fast intake and you could be making 1250rwhp. That's not a proven statement, I'm just using it to get the point across. Somebody needs to do this and put an end to this argument.
The second argument against the FAST is the 2 piece design. Not being able to handle higher boost is definitely a drawback.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

every FI ***** KNOWS the fast will lose to the ls6 everytime.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are only 2 choices

carb-style/sheetmetal or LS6

people who go FI usally SELL their fast setups

its not that a fast wont do anything its just the price negates any gains u will see. it will make so little difference on a turbo car that its like paying 100bucks for smooth bellows on a stock car.

get what im saying?
Old 07-23-2007, 05:57 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
Sheetmetal > FAST > LS6 > LS1

There, I made it easy. And as would be expected, cost flows in the same pattern. You want to make the most power? Go all the way to the left. But that's also where you'll be spending the most money.
Agreed.

ITB>Sheetmetal > FAST > LS6 > LS1

Originally Posted by 52172
No I am not mixed up here it does perform better and will make more rwhp than the fast when used with FI. Do some research. It can handle a lot more boost= more power.
It can handle more boost, but who throws the kitchen sink at it everytime they drive it. Do you drive your car around every day at 25 psi? I didn't think so. The FAST intake flows more air creating less boost. Boost is a measure of restriction as I'm sure you know. Most of what I've read is people who have changed to the FAST from LS6 lost boost. Well duh, turn up the **** a little more to make up for it and see how much power you gained.

This argument is archaic. The LS6 is a proven performer for the cost. The FAST is better, but more expensive. The Vic Jr. is a decent option now about the same cost as the LS6, but comes with fuel rails. Sheet metal would be the best option as I've never seen a LSx based engine with forced induction and ITBs.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From my research ive found that the ls6 works fine and since its composite stays much cooler then an aluminum intake manifold. Ive been told the ls6 is fine and you dont have to worry about the 2 piece design leaking like the fast.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:34 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well i can only tell you for sure what I know that has worked on my cars. I have a Carb (Vic Jr) with a cheet metal 90 and a NW 90 on one car made 880 with everything perfect that day lol! The other car has a LS6 and has made more 840 at lower boost and I have the same carb set up for that car, but I have never put it on as I don't think it will gain me anything to talk about and I can put my STB back on etc... The fast I have read just about every result posted about it when used in FI applications and it goes as follows every car I read that changed from an LS6 t a Fast 90/90 combo lost a little power and second @ 23lbs From what I am told the fast has had a few failers leaking and cracks. The LS6 has held over 25lbs. So there is the information I have compiled make your own decisions, but you can make your goal with an LS6 if you already have one you could spend the money else where. If you already have a fast use it or sell it you will still make your goal I believe! Have fun the build can be fun!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

INspector 12 just out of couriosity, which car is more fun/streetable to drive? Damn I wish I had the sun and the moon like you. LOL. I love your cars.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Old 07-23-2007, 11:50 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Shoulder Shaker
INspector 12 just out of couriosity, which car is more fun/streetable to drive? Damn I wish I had the sun and the moon like you. LOL. I love your cars.
LOL. I get that question a lot and well I have only had a few miles behind the S/C car. The orange car is just a little more fun although I haven't fully worked out the bugs in either of them LOL! Just got the motor back for the black one I should have it running in a few weeks. The black one sounds meaner the orange one is kinda stealthy.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Drewstein
The second argument against the FAST is the 2 piece design. Not being able to handle higher boost is definitely a drawback.
I agree, if you put it on straight out of the box it could leak with high boost levels, it wasn't made for a FI car. It's a simple fix though, you just have to take it apart and caulk the edges. Mines holding 13psi just fine.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:52 AM
10 Second Club

Hey, rufretic....I have the fast and doubt previous owner caulked the edges.....is there any way I can tell if its leaking? Or should I just go ahead and pull it off..I am running 10#....suggestions on caulk brand?

Quick Reply: f.a.s.t , ls6, or stock intake on a supercharged ls1?