Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Installing a Walbro in a 1998 F-Body (Small Write-up)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing a Walbro in a 1998 F-Body (Small Write-up)

This isnt really a full write up, I didnt really get into detail but it should be enough to get someone through it. It worked perfect after install and holds good pressure at about 55 psi which is normal for stock. The fuel pump also doesnt bleed out like the LT1 walbro swap, actually keeps pressure.

First thing you should do is get the fuel pump out somehow, either trap door or dropping the tank. Once you have the fuel pump assembly out, cut off the stock flex hose to the fuel pump and disconnect the flex tube for the regulator that is connected to the filter. Unplug the pump and remove it until you have only this.

Pull the ends off of the fuel pump like so and cut a bigger hole in the bottom piece for the new Walbro. You can test fit until the hole is as big as you desire.

This is what I used to cut the hole in the bottom piece.

After all is said and done, you will need your standard Walbro 255lph LT1/LS1 Fuel Pump Kit. This will come with everything you need. Take the black foam piece that fits over the fuel pump and cut it in half like so. If possible, before you order, see if the seller could throw in an extra one of these so you do not have to cut it, this will make the fit much more better.

The should fit over your new Walbro like this.

Then take the ends and put them on the Walbro like so. Should look similar to this.

The Walbro kit comes with various pieces that you do and dont need. This is the remaining pieces you will need.

Find the filter that you removed and cut the piece that was attached to your regulator flex tube off. It will just be snapped back on the flex tube and should be fine because it picks up unfiltered fuel as it sits so it will not hurt.

Last edited by Mike96z; 01-04-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your fuel assembly should look like this.

You will need to cut the walbro connector in half and use the side that plugs into your new pump. Cut off the stock fuel pump connector and splice the wires.

I used some connectors + heat shrink to do this.

This is the final product.

Now you will install the piece you cut off your old fitler onto the fuel regulator flex tube like so.

After you do this, just fit the fuel pump in its original position and get the pump in as tight as possible. You will need to connect your new flex tube and use the clamps provided and connect the pump to the connector. I did have to bend some of the framing slightly to get it in there snugg. Here are the pictures of it completely installed. The filter will be blocked slighly on the bottom by the faming but this is just fine. The filter is surrounded by plenty of fuel to pull in and the filter is not crammed in there, actually fits snugg. The walbros flows much more then needed for most applications and the pressure is determined by your regulator.

I did go back and add a clamp to the bottom pump piece so that it would stay more secure.

Here is a picture of my fuel pressure @ 55 PSI and its holding.

Here is my trap door. Kinda a hack job but will be cleaned up for sure.

I hope this helps someone, I know it wouldve been helpful to me before doing this but I thought I would share. I know some people will not agree with some of the things I did in this install but that is your opinion and I appreciate the input but this is working for me.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by Mike96z; 01-04-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Vote for STICKY! Thanks for the write up Mike96z, I am very appreciative of this write-up as it has cleared up some of my confusion with the walbro install on my '98, I'm sure it will help others as well.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice little write up but jesus buddy, ur not good at cuttin plastic or metal.....maby a little less aggression next time. not trying to be mean but it looks horrible, you used those vice grips to tear the sheet metal didnt u? please clean it up. good right up other wise
Old 07-26-2009, 08:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I commend your efforts, to build your own setup, but for $149 you can get this:

No spliced wires, the proper hose clamps, no cutting, & a new fuel sock.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^ I was going to suggest the racetronix kit too. I've installed a couple and it is idiot proof. And cheap
Old 07-27-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Of course you can go the racetronix way but I didnt have the extra $50 + shipping. I paid only $100 for my pump shipped and did this all in little time. I didnt care about the cutting on the plastic as noone will see it. I cleaned up the trap door and covered it already so it looks clean now. This is for anyone who wants to do a custom install.

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-27-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by THENASCAR
nice little write up but jesus buddy, ur not good at cuttin plastic or metal.....maby a little less aggression next time. not trying to be mean but it looks horrible, you used those vice grips to tear the sheet metal didnt u? please clean it up. good right up other wise
I used the sheers with yellow handle, cut like butter and safer than creating lots of sparks that could catch your car on fire. Ive seen it done with a cutting disk and looks cleaner but Ill take the safer route and clean up later. Vice Grips wont work lol.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike96z
I used the sheers with yellow handle, cut like butter and safer than creating lots of sparks that could catch your car on fire. Ive seen it done with a cutting disk and looks cleaner but Ill take the safer route and clean up later. Vice Grips wont work lol.
yea fire is a no go. good install hope everything works good for ya!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Works great! Thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Teching In

thanks for the write up. Quick question where did you order the pump? did shipping take long? what part number did you order and is it still working today?
Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

worked fine with no issues, I sold the car and it was working fine when sold. there is actually a guy that sells them for $100 shipped to tech members, Id have to look him up.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Default lt1 to ls1

you guys wouldnt know if i needed a new fuel pump if im doing a ls1 swap in lt1 car would, or if the stock pump could stay??
Old 07-14-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

pump can stay but you will need a LT1 Walbro 255lph thats what I had in my 96Z LS1 conversion.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 98 Camaro and plan to do the same modification. Is there any way you can update the photos or share the photos and post a link to them? Any info would be appreciated. thanks. I've searched all over and can't find other photos. I have to do the mods on my daily over a weekend and want to make sure I have everything I need going into it.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you just want to see the basics, I have pictures of when I did mine in my galary. Even though it's not the same it will give you an idea so your not surprised at every step.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Updated the images.

Last edited by Mike96z; 01-04-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Updated the images.
Nice writeup! Just read it for the first time. As was said, should be a sticky! It has my vote...
Old 01-05-2018, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

Updated the images.
When someone resurrects an 8 year old dead thread, then the OP updates it, does that invoke Lazarus or zombie protocols?
Old 01-05-2018, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

You dare question this??? lol

Quick Reply: Installing a Walbro in a 1998 F-Body (Small Write-up)