Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Aeroquip socketless hose (FC598) - anyone else with issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 01:13 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

The Earls version is safe for use with oil. I would find it incredibly unlikely the Aeroquip cant handle oil.

Given it is right at the barb, it looks like mechanical damage caused by the installer.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Aeroquip tech sheets indicate the FC598 should be used with crimped fittings (page 18 of the doc you linked to on post #6). Maybe the socketless fittings will still work with this hose (?), but all of the Aeroquip documentation I have found makes no mention of it; only the crimped fittings are noted for this hose.

Excuse me if I'm off base on this. I recently got a dry sump system I'll be fitting to a 4-cylinder, and it came with a length of FC598 and four socketless fittings. After reading the Aeroquip spec sheets, I'm thinking I should either get some crimped fittings or some different hose (FC332 socketless hose), and a search led me here.

- Sean
Old 09-05-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by potatofat
The Aeroquip tech sheets indicate the FC598 should be used with crimped fittings (page 18 of the doc you linked to on post #6). Maybe the socketless fittings will still work with this hose (?), but all of the Aeroquip documentation I have found makes no mention of it; only the crimped fittings are noted for this hose.

Excuse me if I'm off base on this. I recently got a dry sump system I'll be fitting to a 4-cylinder, and it came with a length of FC598 and four socketless fittings. After reading the Aeroquip spec sheets, I'm thinking I should either get some crimped fittings or some different hose (FC332 socketless hose), and a search led me here.

- Sean
Uh... good catch! Reading those datasheets, and sounds like you are correct. Looks like I need to replumb my system with FC332!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:00 PM
9 Second Club

Earls for me !
Old 09-05-2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Earls for me !
...Or Earl's, or some other hose manufacturer; but make sure it's designed for use with socketless fittings, if that's what you'll be using.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

...Or Earl's, or some other hose manufacturer; but make sure it's designed for use with socketless fittings, if that's what you'll be using.
The only thing designed for the AQP socketless fittings is AQP's socketless hose. Mixing brands would be a crapshoot. I think I can replace most of my FC598 hose without cracking open the AN sides of the fittings.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rodder
The only thing designed for the AQP socketless fittings is AQP's socketless hose. Mixing brands would be a crapshoot. I think I can replace most of my FC598 hose without cracking open the AN sides of the fittings.
Good point. My system came with push-on fittings that have "Speedline" engraved on the side - I've never heard of these fittings before (Australian?). And the FC598 hose. Guess I'll either get some crimp-on fittings to use with the FC598 hose, or shelve it all and get a length of hose + push-on fittings designed to work together as a system to address my issues.

If I was blu00rdster, I think I would at least replace the FC598 with the socketless hose, or else get new hose AND fittings, as well as add some insulating sleeves after that.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

- Sean
Ah dammit, you're right. I bought socketless fittings from both Jegs and Vic Hubbard, and they both supplied FC598 hose as the correct socketless hose.

Looks like the fuel temp rating is dangerously wrong for engine compartment fuel hose applications, and the hose is the wrong one for the socketless fittings.

Thanks for posting! I'm going to look into FC332 hose.

I wish aeroquip would actually reply to questions regarding safety.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:10 PM
9 Second Club

Earls....so simple lol.

One fitting, one hose. Just different colours if you want.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:42 PM

Let us know how it turns out. I'll check back for a week or so, then I'm out. I'm finishing up a Ford/Cosworth 2.3 liter 4-banger installation into a Caterham 7, so thanks for helping me determine that I was, in fact, provided with an incorrect hose/fittings combination, and I'm glad I could help you too, if I did, but I don't see myself frequenting this forum too often.

Hope it all works out for you. And watch out for those Irish!

- Seán
Old 09-13-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Someone from Eaton/Aeroquip posted on Team Camaro and said FC598 IS socketless hose:

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=141608
Old 09-14-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet! Thanks Rodder.

I posted and asked about FC598 fuel temp ratings (every engine bay gets hotter than 200degrees) and the specs that only state crimped connectors (as potatofat pointed out above). It would be great to have a factory response on heat and fittings.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:46 AM
9 Second Club

I know the Earls hose only requires crimped ends when you are running very high temperatures, and approaching the pressure limit of the hose, which is 250psi, and 250degF continuous service.

Mine are simple push fit, with zero problems.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:16 AM

Hello everyone
my name is bill
and the company name is moreland hose
and we are an aeroquip dist.
we are located on long island ny

I have been selling aeroquip hose for over 30 years and i have
never seen a hose that looked like that one
when ever i sell hose i make sure what the person is
using it for. because i have never seen that fc598 hose before
so after i looked it up in a aeroquip catalog it says for return lines
on hydraulics sorry but its not good for GAS

Thats what happens when you buy hose from a company
that does not know what there selling you
thats just my to cents
and your all lucky that no one go hurt

if you need info. go to
www.morelandhose.com
Old 09-15-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

I've been trading emails back and forth with PaulRGrandsko@Eaton.com. Here's the deal, summarized:

The black socketless hose and specs are listed in Aeroquip Perfomance master catalog on page 13. http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products...E-MC001-E2.pdf. The Aeroquip Performance part number is FBNxxxx. The 20ft box of -06 black socketless would be FBN0620. Paul says that FC598 is an Aeroquip Industrial model number, and that the same hose is used for both FBN0620 and FC598.

I haven't gotten a good explanation of why FC598 is OK to use as socketless for performance applications, but not OK for industrial applications. It's not exactly confidence-inspiring. Next time, I'll use a different brand of hose/fittings.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I sent Paul Grandsko an email asking for contact info for the Eaton corporate counsel, regarding FC598 specs and applications. Hopefully the CC will have the straight scoop.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never had good luck with the push locks. Once one failed and also had a steel braided line dry rot too.
Now I only use XRP stuff, you can get it with heat shielding and abrasion resistant covers as well.

I don't work for them, but they sure work. The ID of the hose is larger = more flow plus you don't have to worry about them coming apart or cutting your hands on braided lines.

Trust me with this one, once you go XRP you never look back!

Good luck with your choices.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:34 PM

Default hose issue

Saw pics about aeroquip hose , looks like it could a few factor one being direct radiant heat and maybe old hose? We sell xrp fittings and aeroquip socketless hose but we are told from xrp their is a shelf life to the rubber of less than 1yr for fuels. i sugest running xrp fyre jacket and fyre foil lite to get the heat away or relocate the lines. If You have any problems call us 1888 mrbolts or www.dmpfasteners.comhttp://www.dmpfasteners.com
Old 10-21-2009, 11:50 AM

Hose temperature ratings are not for external temperatures but internal. The preferred push-on hose is FC332 in sizes -04 thru -12. The internal temperature rating for FC332 is 300 degrees.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bet that hose is not compatable with the fuel you are using. Try this take a new piece of hose and soak it for a few days in a container of your fuel. Then pull it apart and check the condition.

Quick Reply: Aeroquip socketless hose (FC598) - anyone else with issues?