Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Don't buy Moser stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Don't buy Moser stuff

I am here to convey my experience with their product and their poor customer service and attitude.

Here is the short version of my problem story: I purchased a new diff in April and had it installed. Shortly after I had new axles put in, the Mosers. Thereafter I had a very low brake pedal after cornering very hard, or swerving hard. The pedal would sometimes go ALL THE WAY to the floor. After working on nearly every other axle part like the rear brakes, slide pins, axle C clips, I finally filmed the axle and saw brake disc movement. I could also wiggle the wheel of the car at will, by hand. So then I replaced the axles with new GM units. The GM units were thicker along the length of the shaft, and more importantly reduced almost all of the brake pedal fade.

Here's the video of the disk flexing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNDjVobCnGk

In my view these axles are inferior in performance, and in fact a driving hazard. If I ever needed to make a fast lane change and then brake suddenly, I would not be able to stop. Though advertised as "better than stock" they surely are not. Or perhaps they are only better for drag racing but horrible for cornering, "better" is a subjective term.

Moser's website is misleading in its description of the product, part number A102806
It states they are "non-tapered" but in fact they are tapered only 2 inches from the bearing surface. After that taper they are constant diameter all the way to the splines. The GM stock axles do not taper after the bearing surface, they are almost completely the same thickness to about 2 inches from the spines, where they taper down 2 steps. The GM axles are measured to be about 3/16 inch thicker along the majority of the shaft. Moser's website has a photo but it's not good enough detail to accurate portray the technical details of the product. In fact it looks like nearly every axle picture uses the same image. This, to me, is borderline false advertising, and surely sloppy and cheap web design, since every single axle photo on their site is the same.

The last straw for me was their customer service's attitude and the attitude of Kip Hayden (the VP of the company). I had emailed their customer support with my problem, and also called them on the phone. My first phone call was with a CS agent and he would not give a refund since they were "used", and said I would have to call back on Monday to talk with Kip. On Monday morning at 10am EST I called and Kip was "on the phone" so I left a number to call me back. I did not receive a call back. Tuesday I called again at about 11:45am (10.45 their time) and he was "out to lunch". I left a voice mail with my number. By 3 I did not get a call so I called back, talked to a CSR who said he was "on the phone" and I said it seems like I am getting a brush off from them. So he took some initiative and Kip called me in about 15 minutes.
I explained my situation, the brake pedal problem (to the floor), and the video which he said he saw. I asked for a refund and said that there was no way I could ever reuse these axles and I would really like a refund for my money since they are inferior to stock axles. Well that must have really got him riled up because thereafter Kip was not the VP of a company that wanted my business, he became, in my view, and inflated egotistical jerk. He said that "all c clip axles have play" and "we've sold axles to circle track racers who don't have any problems" and I should get a c clip eliminator to fix the problem, and what really grilled my goat was he then said he saw my video and "didn't see anything wrong with it". I am thinking to myself "WTF is wrong with this dude, this video is **not right** and he says he sees nothing wrong?". So I asked what they could do, and he said I could send them back for hardness testing and if they were deficient I could get a refund or if not they'd have to send them back to me. Well we all know they are too thin, and I bet they pass the hardness test on the surface and am not about to waste $40 to send them away.

What really bugged me is that they thought they were better than me, that their product "just couldn't be defective" in any way, and the customer is always wrong. And "ha ha we got your $300 you can't have it back". My dad taught me that 1 unhappy customer will lead to 10+ unhappy customers real quick. Well here you have it.

My recommendation is to not ever buy any Moser product, this is how they treat customers who have VIDEO EVIDENCE of defective products. I bet you won't get good service if you have a problem.

Please do not buy Moser.

If you need new axles I recommend Superior brand axles.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Wow I was getting ready to buy some for my ten bolt. Glad I ddn't
Sorry to hear

Are you happy with the Superiors?
Old 10-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, doesn't surprise me. They were a bunch of douchebags when I talked to them.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So these axles are for a 10 bolt & you just wanted stronger ones? Yea there shouldnt be any play or movement like there is in that video. I am kinda glad I didnt order a 9 inch from them if theyre that retarded at Moser.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Wow. I was hell-bent on gettin my 9-inch from them when I get around to gettin one within the next year or so. Not anymore. Thanks for the heads up man.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

same here! what are other alternatives for a moser 9" ?
Old 10-02-2010, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris, I am sorry to hear about the negative situation you had with your car. But if it makes you feel better, there is good that has come from this situation.

Your video commentary was hilarious.

"SWERVING LEFT!" "RIIIIGHTT!!" "LLLEFFFTT!" "BRAKING!"

"BACK IN LANE! BRAKING BRAKING BRAKING!"

It made me laugh.. hah sorry
Old 10-02-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

thanks, I had a set of Moser axles in my summit checkout cart.

not anymore...

I have superior axles in my 3rd gen, guess i'll have to hunt another pair of those down.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would go to the rear& gear section and mention this problem and see what rear end experts say.this was for a stock GM 10 bolt?
Old 10-02-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by svg210
same here! what are other alternatives for a moser 9" ?
He was using moser axles, not a whole rear. An alternative for a 9"? Defiantly a Mwc 9". Thanks for the post Chris, But I have a question. I am in no way trying to defend moser products so don't get that vibe. Was/could there be another problem? That has caused this problem?
Old 10-02-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

I had a 9" that I was assembling at my house a few weeks back. Got around to the passenger side and realized the end of my housing was bent. Kip (the VP of the company) sent me a brand new housing and pre paid shipping labels for the bent housing. Arrived in a few days.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

Wow, sorry to hear about your experience. Ive been using Moser products for over a decade now and haven't had any major issues like that. I have never used an axle for a 10-bolt though. As for the customer service there is just no excuse for that. Best of luck and hope you get everything solved.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Moser rear ends are notoriously noisy. There are daily complaints in the gears section. It doesn't seem to be just this one example of them producing a bad product. I believe their rear ends are also the cheapest. No coincidence IMO.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:54 AM
Launching!

i had the idea of Moser was some top notch product !! THIS IS THE KIND OF INFO THAT MAKES YOU WONDER !!! Why does it sell for 2wice the price at the dealership ? =s
Old 10-03-2010, 04:34 AM
10 Second Club

I used Superior Axles in my 10 bolt a few years back. Made about 30 mid 10 second passes with them. Probably 40 1/8th mile passes in the 6.60-.80 range and never had an issue. I had a set of Moser Alxes in my 12 bolt and twisted the splines on one of them.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had nothing but problems with moser, and especially their customer service... I think they suck... But certain sponsors on this forum will fight you to the death telling you that moser is the best... I havent had 1 problem with my strange and when I ask a question it usually gets answered, politely too. Not like at moser where they talk to you like youre an idiot. My favorite was when my first 12 bolt blew up in 3 days, and I was told it cant happen. I send them the rear and they fixed it, said it was their fault, now pay shipping...I dont think so..........
Old 10-03-2010, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

Wow man, You posted these axles for sale a month ago, I saw them and bought them from you a couple days ago. You list them as being fine for "normal" street driving, drag racing and the sorts but say that you highly dont recommend them for auto crossing (understandable). One day after you sell them to me you give your true opinion and review on them? You even blame them to be a "driving hazzard"? Im glad im only using these as a "hold-over" until I can afford a MWC rear. On a side note- what kind of play are you taking about? C-clip axle cars do have in-out play in them, its just the design. But if your talking about side to side play, this is a different issue.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Veteran

I was told to steer away from Moser a couple years ago when I was about to get a 12b. I just never say anything because I don't want to bash. I was told the "S" brand was a better deal and better customer service. Not to mention a direct bolt in replacement that even comes pre-tested with oil already in it.. = SOLD..

Anyway.. I was thinking of mounting a camera near the pumpkin to watch for any flex under hard acceleration from a dig. Nice setup, but some CRAZY **** going on back there!! No wonder these better rears come with C-Clip eliminators. Did you do a conversion? Or just replacement C-Clip axles? They'd better take this video seriously.. Recall the axles and re-tool their operation before they lose sales..
Old 10-03-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jeepers_88
Wow man, You posted these axles for sale a month ago, I saw them and bought them from you a couple days ago. You list them as being fine for "normal" street driving, drag racing and the sorts but say that you highly dont recommend them for auto crossing (understandable). One day after you sell them to me you give your true opinion and review on them? You even blame them to be a "driving hazzard"? Im glad im only using these as a "hold-over" until I can afford a MWC rear. On a side note- what kind of play are you taking about? C-clip axle cars do have in-out play in them, its just the design. But if your talking about side to side play, this is a different issue.
Its obvious from the vid he posted theres some serious side to side play in something. Either the axle tube bearings or the axles like he is saying.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:34 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i too was not happy with moser. i was told a 2-3 day turnaround + shipping. it took over a month until my 12 bolt was shipped out and then i got no torque arm bolts or anything with it. in the end, i wish i would have just gotten a 12 bolt from Strange

Quick Reply: Don't buy Moser stuff