Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FTRA/SSRA guys, come in

Old 01-15-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FTRA/SSRA guys, come in

Two questions:

1. What is your difference in IAT temp when stopped and moving in relation to the outside temperature

2. What is your MAP at when you're WOT.

3. Coolant temperature, if you have a way to measure that.

Numbers please, not "it feels like..."
Old 01-15-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

I know you guys are out there
Old 01-15-2009, 04:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search and we are sure you can find info on IAT temps. It has been asked and posted bfore.

You can also check www.installuniversity.com for the data they collected.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
Do a search and we are sure you can find info on IAT temps. It has been asked and posted bfore.

You can also check www.installuniversity.com for the data they collected.
I did a search, but I'm not finding anything different then what I'm running right now with the fra.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

It seems like someone who represents a company who sells a product, of which a question is being asked, would be more respectful and responsive to someone's questions. Sounds like you have a good company going there...Good customer service reflects a good product.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I was kinda thinking the same thing but I don't think he meant it to sound so harsh.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:32 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
I did a search, but I'm not finding anything different then what I'm running right now with the fra.
Are you saying your IAT temps with the FRA are the same as what people are posting with the FTRA?

Here is a link to the install university review:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins..._12.262000.htm

The FTRA does more than just lower IAT's. It also increases the V.E of the motor by creating a mild pressurization of the intake at higher speeds.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Mrwilson
It seems like someone who represents a company who sells a product, of which a question is being asked, would be more respectful and responsive to someone's questions. Sounds like you have a good company going there...Good customer service reflects a good product.

Sorry we didn't mean our answer to come off harsh. We just didn't think you wanted our company to provide the data the OP was asking for. It sounded like he was asking people on LS1TECH.

If anyone has a question about our product, please call us at 877-955-4896 or email us at sales@fasttoys.net . We don't always have time to watch the message boards to catch questions on here.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Are you saying your IAT temps with the FRA are the same as what people are posting with the FTRA?

Here is a link to the install university review:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins..._12.262000.htm

The FTRA does more than just lower IAT's. It also increases the V.E of the motor by creating a mild pressurization of the intake at higher speeds.
Could you please quantify "mild" and "higher"? Could you also tell me how you aquired your data to determine this? Lastly, and most importantly, what were the differences in the before and after timeslips on your test car (assuming back to back runs with same track conditions)
Old 01-19-2009, 12:10 PM
FormerVendor

Install University saw a .9 % increase in VE over stock in 2nd and 3rd gear. There was no increase in first gear. I don't know the rear end ratio they were running but generally increases are seen from about 40 MPH and up.

Here is their test info:

The test runs were made in the first three gears of a six-speed LS1. That puts the LS1 rifling along at 100 mph plus at the end of the test run, just like at the nearest quarter-mile drag way. In first gear, the VE showed no gain. During second gear, an increase of 0.9 percent was shown over the stock configuration. Third gear showed the exact same increase over the stock configuration. A 0.9 percent increase in volumetric efficiency stuffs an extra 31 cubic inches of air into the engine.

Equation 1

A 0.9 percent increase doesn’t sound that great. A typical LS1 with ported heads, cam, headers, etc., will gain a seven percent increase in VE (100 horsepower). This is very important to note. Assuming that the VE is directly related to the amount of horsepower added (on a natural aspirated LS1), a 1% increase results in a 10 – 15 horsepower gain (see Equation 1).

Most of our customers report 1-1.5 MPH in the 1/4 mile as a typical gain after installing the FTRA.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My IAT's went up to about 76* in a drive through, then went down to 42* when I got moving over 50mph. It was about 40* outside.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Install University saw a .9 % increase in VE over stock in 2nd and 3rd gear. There was no increase in first gear. I don't know the rear end ratio they were running but generally increases are seen from about 40 MPH and up.

Here is their test info:

The test runs were made in the first three gears of a six-speed LS1. That puts the LS1 rifling along at 100 mph plus at the end of the test run, just like at the nearest quarter-mile drag way. In first gear, the VE showed no gain. During second gear, an increase of 0.9 percent was shown over the stock configuration. Third gear showed the exact same increase over the stock configuration. A 0.9 percent increase in volumetric efficiency stuffs an extra 31 cubic inches of air into the engine.

Equation 1

A 0.9 percent increase doesn’t sound that great. A typical LS1 with ported heads, cam, headers, etc., will gain a seven percent increase in VE (100 horsepower). This is very important to note. Assuming that the VE is directly related to the amount of horsepower added (on a natural aspirated LS1), a 1% increase results in a 10 – 15 horsepower gain (see Equation 1).

Most of our customers report 1-1.5 MPH in the 1/4 mile as a typical gain after installing the FTRA.

I was hoping you had a scientific test at the track for your car, I assume you do not? I also am not as concerned with mph as most people tend to be, I prefer to know the ET differences on back to back runs. I would also like to ask how you calculated VE in this senario as well as how you calculate that a 1% increase in Voulmetric Efficiancy equates to a 10-15 horsepower increase. I hope I dont sound irate, but rather curious.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

A MPH gain would show the effects of the intake better than a ET could.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:09 PM
FormerVendor

We don't post testing that we have done as most people dismiss it as "biased". That's why we always try to reference what independent sources have done (like install university, LS1TECH members etc).

If you read through the install university article, they explain how they calculated the VE and corresponding HP increase. They include a link to a spreadsheet so you can caculate your own.

The typical gains we have seen in testing and reported from our customers is 1-1.5 MPH in the 1/4 mile which is 10-15 HP on a 3400-3600 lb car.

As the other LS1TECH member mentioned, when we test products in the 1/4, we look at MPH increases. MPH increases are consistent from run to run. ET changes are not consistent because they are so dependent on traction from the launch.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was hoping you had a scientific test at the track for your car, I assume you do not? I also am not as concerned with mph as most people tend to be, I prefer to know the ET differences on back to back runs. I would also like to ask how you calculated VE in this senario as well as how you calculate that a 1% increase in Voulmetric Efficiancy equates to a 10-15 horsepower increase. I hope I dont sound irate, but rather curious.
this shows that you are a noob , its okay though, we were all there once...FTRA has shown you multiple situation that proves the system works...

here is a test for you with a huge FTRA in a way...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...sults-tom.html

also mph is the teller of how much power a car is making...you cant have a great ET with a shitty mph...but the opposite is true...mph will always be pretty close, independent of traction...so that is why it is better to compare mph to tell the tale of how much power was gained...
Old 01-20-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

No offense to Fast Toys, but I'd hesitate to ... 'believe' (is the closest word I can think of)... a response from them to a thread like this, given how the numbers asked for can often directly correlate to performance - this is something for the community to answer and let them just smile at the quality of their product with the proof coming from everyone else. In other words - it's not their place to answer this, as it would seem biased. It's for us to yammer on about.

I'd answer if I could, but mine is still in the mail FedEx man brings it friday!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chrs1313
this shows that you are a noob , its okay though, we were all there once...FTRA has shown you multiple situation that proves the system works...

here is a test for you with a huge FTRA in a way...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...sults-tom.html

also mph is the teller of how much power a car is making...you cant have a great ET with a shitty mph...but the opposite is true...mph will always be pretty close, independent of traction...so that is why it is better to compare mph to tell the tale of how much power was gained...
You can have a shitty et with a great mph.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

pretty sure that's what he meant and he typed it wrong...
Old 01-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Lets see exactly how much you people know about what you are talking. Basic question here: Where is Mph measured and how is it measured?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
You can have a shitty et with a great mph.
Yup I thought I typed that...you can’t have a great ET with a shitty mph...but the opposite is true(you can have a shitty ET with a good mph)...

comparing ETs only works if you have the same 60ft…which is a lot harder to do than just looking at mph which is pretty much independent of 60ft…

whether I 60ft a 1.8 or 1.4 my mph will still be right around 122…try to say the same for ET…

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FTRA/SSRA guys, come in