Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**STICKY WORTHY** GMMG Exhaust.. How To Eliminate Rasp * Lots of Vids and Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another one on the bandwagon, no GMMG but also hate the rasp @ 2200rpm. I also want a cats because of the fumes but just this last weekend I helped a friend move and got a DMH cutout in return. So Im keeping the prius killer y pipe, for now at least.

I also ordered a 3 in 3.5 out flowmaster merge. My question is did the 3" powerstick fit into the 3.5 outlet or did you expand the stick over the merge. By the pics it looks like its slid into the merge.

Also tried ordering a powerstick today. Called twice, no answer. Left a message and I'll try again tomorrow. Planning on fabbing this up on saturday. Think the small stick is worth it? Id like to try to keep the cutout under the rear seat instead of right before the axle if possible.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

it would have to slide inside the merge. the housing of the powerstick is 3.5
Old 04-06-2011, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
You can add me to that list I ordered mine today.
Does your powerflo have rasp cause mine doesn't. I would like to make it a little quieter so please post a cruising and idle before and after video and pics. when you get it. Oh and let me know which on your ordered so if I like the sound I can get one. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CLRD4TO
Another one on the bandwagon, no GMMG but also hate the rasp @ 2200rpm. I also want a cats because of the fumes but just this last weekend I helped a friend move and got a DMH cutout in return. So Im keeping the prius killer y pipe, for now at least.

I also ordered a 3 in 3.5 out flowmaster merge. My question is did the 3" powerstick fit into the 3.5 outlet or did you expand the stick over the merge. By the pics it looks like its slid into the merge.

Also tried ordering a powerstick today. Called twice, no answer. Left a message and I'll try again tomorrow. Planning on fabbing this up on saturday. Think the small stick is worth it? Id like to try to keep the cutout under the rear seat instead of right before the axle if possible.
In my pic, my exhaust guy cut some out the 3.5" out let off the merge, then added some of the 3" I pipe to the merge, put a 3 bolt flange on it and put another 3 bolt flange on the I pipe and bolted them together
Old 04-08-2011, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Found out the powerstick guy is on vacation. Have to wait to place an order, no biggie.

Headed to the inlaws shop tomorrow to fab up the merge, temp install the I pipe, and fit the magnaflow out back (used cb). Should be able to get some vids of the "before" powerstick rasp.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found it funny that you nominated yourself for a sticky worthy thread. Anyways good work.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:43 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Does your powerflo have rasp cause mine doesn't. I would like to make it a little quieter so please post a cruising and idle before and after video and pics. when you get it. Oh and let me know which on your ordered so if I like the sound I can get one. Thanks.
My powerflo doesn't have 'rasp' per say, but does have a little bit of drone to it that I'm looking to tame a little. 90% of the time, the car is driven with the t-tops out, so it's not noticable, but that other 10% of the time, I notice it.

I definitely need to put up some more videos. The video in my link is when I first got my Performance Induction heads/cam setup done last summer, and you can hear in the video a lot of excess engine noises that I've been able to track down. I swapped out the alternator which had some bad bearings, figured out my intake vacum leak this week as well which got rid of that hissing sound as well.

I think some of my exhaust noise might be from some exhaust leaks as well that I'll address when I get my powerstick. Speaking of which, I hope he shipped mine before going on vacation. I placed my order on the 1st, and my credit card was charged on the 4th, so it would be nice if he shipped it prior to leaving on vacation.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:14 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Update:

I got the chambered powerstick yesterday afternoon. So tonight when I got home from work I was able to get it installed. Man I hate doing exhaust....anyways. By the time I was done building a campfire for the kids and roasting mashmellows, and got the exhaust buttoned up, it was dark out and the kids were in taking a bath, so I was only able to start it up and let it idle and give it a couple quick revs. If the weather is nice over the next couple days, I'll have some follow up reviews and impressions.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Update:

I got the chambered powerstick yesterday afternoon. So tonight when I got home from work I was able to get it installed. Man I hate doing exhaust....anyways. By the time I was done building a campfire for the kids and roasting mashmellows, and got the exhaust buttoned up, it was dark out and the kids were in taking a bath, so I was only able to start it up and let it idle and give it a couple quick revs. If the weather is nice over the next couple days, I'll have some follow up reviews and impressions.
Immediately I noticed a difference with m car at idle.. Did you notice anything?
Old 04-14-2011, 07:54 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

It had a different sound, but to be honest my car doesn't get driven too often, so it's hard to say. I'll know when I take a drive in the next few days.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

It had a different sound, but to be honest my car doesn't get driven too often, so it's hard to say. I'll know when I take a drive in the next few days.
My car isn't a DD either.. But man I could tell a difference as soon as I started it

Post a vid up man.. Hope you like it
Old 04-15-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
My car isn't a DD either.. But man I could tell a difference as soon as I started it

Post a vid up man.. Hope you like it
Any reason you have your cutout pipe off to the side & not in the main stream, would've thought exhaust flow will follow the easiest route, straight ahead. So in reality your cutout is seeing only minimal overflow of exhaust gas compared to if the main pipe had veered off & the cutout was straight inline. I noticed on your vid when cutout is open, exhaust still coming from rear pipes, shouldn't be!
Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its funny that the powersticks fix the rasp since they are chambered mufflers like GMMG uses. I have never had a GMMG setup but I had powerstick mufflers on my 3" true dual setup on my SS and it was extremely loud but it did not sound raspy.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
Any reason you have your cutout pipe off to the side & not in the main stream, would've thought exhaust flow will follow the easiest route, straight ahead. So in reality your cutout is seeing only minimal overflow of exhaust gas compared to if the main pipe had veered off & the cutout was straight inline. I noticed on your vid when cutout is open, exhaust still coming from rear pipes, shouldn't be!
If you look it is still on the 'main' stream.. What's main and what's not main??

It's still on I pipe before it goes over the axle. The reason that it is off to the side is b/c the powerstick took up a lot of room, that's where I was able to fit my cut out

You're still gonna get exhaust out the back tail pipes. Its not all gonna go through the cutout
Old 04-15-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2QUIK4U
Its funny that the powersticks fix the rasp since they are chambered mufflers like GMMG uses. I have never had a GMMG setup but I had powerstick mufflers on my 3" true dual setup on my SS and it was extremely loud but it did not sound raspy.
The key is installing them against the grain... That's what kills the rasp
Old 04-16-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you look it is still on the 'main' stream.. What's main and what's not main??

It's still on I pipe before it goes over the axle. The reason that it is off to the side is b/c the powerstick took up a lot of room, that's where I was able to fit my cut out

You're still gonna get exhaust out the back tail pipes. Its not all gonna go through the cutout
Why bother having a cutout if it's not going to take all the exhaust gasses!

The cutout in my opinion should be where your pipe continues passed where your cutout is, then it's blanked off with the cutout, your main exhaust should continue on from where your cutout is now and then on into your mufflers. This way when it's open NO gasses go through the mufflers.

Is this not what a cutout is for!!! Or do you guys think backward up there.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:40 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

The cutout in my opinion should be where your pipe continues passed where your cutout is, then it's blanked off with the cutout, your main exhaust should continue on from where your cutout is now and then on into your mufflers. This way when it's open NO gasses go through the mufflers.

Exhaust like any 'fluid' takes the path of least resistance. But keep in mind, that velocity is just as important with exhaust. If the velocity slows down due too large of exhaust, which cools the exhaust, you will actually hurt flow.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Wut?!?

A cutout relieves exhaust pressure, it will not block the exhaust from going into the mufflers. No matter where the cutout is placed on the pipe, there will still be some exhaust that is going to go through the muffler. You tube cutout clips, I'll bet you will find some other cars that will still have some exhaust out of the muffler.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Dude put the crack pipe down. Flow will always follow the path of least resistance (going through the cutout). Your total flow with the cut out open will go through the cut out AND still flow through the mufflers out the tail pipes

WOW dude
Old 04-22-2011, 04:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dude put the crack pipe down. Flow will always follow the path of least resistance (going through the cutout). Your total flow with the cut out open will go through the cut out AND still flow through the mufflers out the tail pipes

WOW dude
CRACK PIPE & WOW DUDE!

Don't know about YOU Dick wad,

But i'm damn sure if i fitted a cutout to my exhaust for racing, i am damn sure i would want ALL my EXHAUST going out the cutout!
NOT just some of it as it passes by and finds a little less resistance in a pipe off to the side.

Quick Reply: **STICKY WORTHY** GMMG Exhaust.. How To Eliminate Rasp * Lots of Vids and Pics*