Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Filters (Oiled vs. Paper)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air Filters (Oiled vs. Paper)

I have been hearing a lot of stuff about oiled air filters (i.e. K&N) verses paper. What’s the real truth? Do oil filters coat the MAF sensors making it throwing codes and are they worth the money for the 2 or 3 extra points gained with horsepower. And do paper filters really suck all that bad.

Mastronardi

Old 04-07-2004, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

I've used Fram since day one for my car. I've never seen a car gain HP from K&N or other filter, but some say they have. I've never seen hard data showing a performance filter flow better than paper. It comes down to personal choice.

The oil from oiled filters can accumulate on the MAF elements over time and cause problems. I usually clean mine every so often with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've swapped them at the track.. saw no difference between a paper filter and a holley or K&N.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

The air filter on an LS1 F-body has enough surface area that it doesn't create enough pressure drop accross it to hider the airflow into the engine.

You will see no gain with a K&N / Holley style filter over a paper filter. I had a K&N and sold it. It fit bad (w/ the gasket thing) and made no more (or less) power than the Fram that is in the car now.

Spend your money on another mod.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Overoiling is supposed to be the problem with the
oiled filters. But any oil is more than none and a
clean MAF is a happy MAF, and probably happier
than one that has been to the prison shower.

And it's hard to know whether your MAF oil came
from the right kind of snake.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Any good paper filter will flow as well as a reusable filter, and without any chance of oil messing with the MAF, why waste money on a K&N?
Old 04-07-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ed FvC
Any good paper filter will flow as well as a reusable filter, and without any chance of oil messing with the MAF, why waste money on a K&N?
That's exactly what I decided. Now, if only somebody would come up w/ a 4" smooth intake from the stock box to the intake for the GTO...
Dan
Old 04-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ed FvC
Don't the oil filters trap more minute particles. :dunno
Old 04-08-2004, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

Getting a K&N has been the one mod I regret on my car. I say that even though mine seals fine with my SLP lid and I don't have a problem with the MAF because I don't overoil it. It's still a pain in the *** to clean and reoil it, it's no cheaper than buying a new paper filter over the life of the car (cleaning/oiling kits only last about three jobs, so it's a wash with new paper filters), and there's no real difference in power.

It was one of those things I tacked on to a large order of basic bolt-ons when I bought my car, but I wish I'd saved the money.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Carvinta
Don't the oil filters trap more minute particles. :dunno
I did a quick search and can't find the link - but I read a 3rd party study that said just the opposite. The paper filters actually trap more where the oil filters let more through.
Dan
Old 04-08-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also bought one of the oiled reuseable filters and wish that I hadn't... ended up selling it off in the end. I use nothing but paper filters now. Trust everyone here... don't waste the money.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

I have no flow bench test results, but I bought a K&N LS1 filter in 1998 and I've used it in three cars cleaning it and re-oiling it several times since. I don't have a problem with it and I can actually feel the difference for a short time once I actually clean it.
Takes a couple of hours to do so, but I trust it and I don't see any accumulation of crud on my MAF.
I did do some general dyno tests between GM, Fram and K&N way back when and the K&N flowed better. Not a big deal, mind you, but I like mine and like I said, have moved it from my '98 Formula to my '99 Trans Am to my '02 Firehawk Trans Am with no issues.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mastronardi
I have been hearing a lot of stuff about oiled air filters (i.e. K&N) verses paper. What’s the real truth? Do oil filters coat the MAF sensors making it throwing codes and are they worth the money for the 2 or 3 extra points gained with horsepower. And do paper filters really suck all that bad.

Mastronardi

I did have a problem with MAF getting dirty (K&N oiled filter). However I did make a mistake of oiling the engine side of the filter. From now on I make sure I only spray on the intake side and clean the filter rubber surface. May be it will help. FWIW, car had about 50k miles before the MAF became dirty and I have FTRA. In any event you have to make sure you don't just cover K&N filter with oil. Hope that helps.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:10 PM
JAT
Teching In

DO NOT BUY K&N if you can help it. My friend bought his car (01 SS Slomaro) with one on it, and we put the car on the dyno, and since the maf was dirty from the oil, it was way too lean and it was pinging. Bad news. So we cleaned up the maf and replaced it with a paper air filter and gained about 5 hp. Good thing he hadnt ran nitrous yet, because he was about to, but decided to tune it before we did.

Quick Reply: Air Filters (Oiled vs. Paper)