Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Valley Plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS6 Valley Plate

If i order the LS6 Valley plate, will it come with all hardware that i need to install it?

I would need the plate, gaskets, and the cap for the original PCV elbow to plug.

The more i read about the LS6 valley plate, the better sense is to have on the car.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't come with the cap, it's a seperate p/n. You can reuse your old bolts and I think the gasket. You do know that you have to grind down the block for the new plates pvc system to fit. It does help with oil consumption issues.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
It doesn't come with the cap, it's a seperate p/n. You can reuse your old bolts and I think the gasket. You do know that you have to grind down the block for the new plates pvc system to fit. It does help with oil consumption issues.

some people were saying that the cap came with the valley plate..... I never EVER reuse gaskets. ALLWAYS BUY NEW ONES! saves you time and trouble.. plus when you get the valley it comes with new gaskets.. As far as grinding the block, on the how to it states "The most important part inside this valley is the aluminum block that is on the old style LS1 blocks (1997-2001'ish). It is labeled in this picture. If you do NOT have this piece, you can skip past all the next few steps about dremeling the engine, and go straight to putting on the new LS6 valley cover."

But here is what i have as far as P/Ns for this project..

LS6 Valley Plate - 12568002
Valve cover plug - 12568011
Rubber grommet - 12568011
PCV Valve - 12572717
10 inches of 5/16 ID rubber fuel line
Old 08-10-2007, 09:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, the only parts I used were:
LS6 Valley plate (comes with new gasket & bolts)- 12568002
DS Valve cover plug- 12568011
LS6 PCV Hose assy (with new pcv valve)- 12573109
The part number you have for the gromet can't be the same as the plug. Also there will be a red plug that comes on the valley cover, use that to plug the nipple on the passenger side valve cover. My car is an 02, and I had to cut the boss off the block. Unless you have an LS6 motor you can plan on doing the same.
Ken
Old 08-10-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ICRAZY6
Well, the only parts I used were:
LS6 Valley plate (comes with new gasket & bolts)- 12568002
DS Valve cover plug- 12568011
LS6 PCV Hose assy (with new pcv valve)- 12573109
The part number you have for the gromet can't be the same as the plug. Also there will be a red plug that comes on the valley cover, use that to plug the nipple on the passenger side valve cover. My car is an 02, and I had to cut the boss off the block. Unless you have an LS6 motor you can plan on doing the same.
Ken
I will get all the P/Ns you mentioned except for the LS6 PCV hose assembly. i will get hose from an autoparts store, but i will get the PCV Valve #12572717.

on the how to http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18 it shows to plugs. the red one comes with the valley right? Then what about the rubber grommet. It show it on the how to in the pic.

I too have an 02, so then i will need to cut

What else? Other suggestions?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

You are correct one of the plugs does come with the valley. The rubber grommet is already inserted in your valve cover, so you just need the plug. When you remove the hose the grommet should stay in the valve cover without any problems.
I sudjest that you tape off the ports going into your heads, shove rags down at the bottom of the valley. Then what I did was get a shopvac and put the hose close to where I was cutting, turned it on, and it would suck alot of the debrie right up. I'm also going to go ahead and change the oil while I'm at it just incase I've got any debrie in the oil. Make sure you have plenty of cut off wheels and take your time cutting. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ICRAZY6
You are correct one of the plugs does come with the valley. The rubber grommet is already inserted in your valve cover, so you just need the plug. When you remove the hose the grommet should stay in the valve cover without any problems.
I sudjest that you tape off the ports going into your heads, shove rags down at the bottom of the valley. Then what I did was get a shopvac and put the hose close to where I was cutting, turned it on, and it would suck alot of the debrie right up. I'm also going to go ahead and change the oil while I'm at it just incase I've got any debrie in the oil. Make sure you have plenty of cut off wheels and take your time cutting. Good luck.
I am guessign the Red plug comes with the plate, so i will not need to order that.

Yup i read in the how to to go crazy covering the ports and taping everyhting off when grinding part of the block.... So i hope it all goes ok..
Old 08-10-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you just use the 04' vette/gto valley cover... Has the oil seperator & valve built on it & the new u style hose that doesn't use a pcv... That's what I'm running & works great.

Part#'s
-12577927 (valley cover, comes with bolts & gasket)
-12594779 (hose)
Old 08-10-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MM98
Why don't you just use the 04' vette/gto valley cover... Has the oil seperator & valve built on it & the new u style hose that doesn't use a pcv... That's what I'm running & works great.

Part#'s
-12594779 (hose)

hmmm i dunno.... I dont think that anyone is using it?? Plus there is no write. And there are a ton of people using the LS6 one
Old 08-10-2007, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

Never heard about that. It sounds about the same set up, just with the pcv in the cover. Any pictures of the valley and tube?
Old 08-10-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those numbers I listed are for the 04' ls6 vettes & the 04' gto's used them as well... Alot of people didn't use them because they were used on the 04's only... It's a revised design of the older ls6 cover.. Everything is built into the box under the valley cover & does away with having to run a pcv in the hose... The ls2/ls7 both use the same style system, just different #'s.

Last edited by MM98; 08-10-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Those numbers I listed are for the 04' ls6 vettes & the 04' gto's used them as well... Alot of people didn't use them because they were used on the 04's only... It's a revised design of the older ls6 cover.. Everything is built into the box under the valley cover & does away with having to run a pcv in the hose.
Well maybe there was a reason why I lost my LS6 valley cover. Will have to check this out.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Default LS6 PCV in valley plate 04 ONLY

Those numbers I listed are for the 04' ls6 vettes & the 04' gto's used them as well... Alot of people didn't use them because they were used on the 04's only... It's a revised design of the older ls6 cover.. Everything is built into the box under the valley cover & does away with having to run a pcv in the hose... The ls2/ls7 both use the same style system, just different #'s.
This is the way to go! Buy the later valley plate and rubber U-hose and be done

Good thread, took me awhile to figure this out on my own. Wish I would have known this awhile ago.

Part number 12573109 (LS6 PCV valve and hose assembly) is 76.00 my cost
Old 10-01-2007, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

I have a question? I just installed my ls6 valley cover. Had to dremel the block I have three vent pipes on my valve covers. 1. was plugged and was on driver side. 2. was plugged and on passenger rear cover. 3. is on passenger valve cover in front and at same time as install I replaced intake and tb with fast 90/90. So, with me having a corvette and now a 90mm ls2 tb no where to connect hose to TB. Can I just plug that vent also or will I have to cut into my plenum to place that vent hose?
Old 10-17-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99T-Top Z28
I have a question? I just installed my ls6 valley cover. Had to dremel the block I have three vent pipes on my valve covers. 1. was plugged and was on driver side. 2. was plugged and on passenger rear cover. 3. is on passenger valve cover in front and at same time as install I replaced intake and tb with fast 90/90. So, with me having a corvette and now a 90mm ls2 tb no where to connect hose to TB. Can I just plug that vent also or will I have to cut into my plenum to place that vent hose?
You can just plug off the front vent hose on the passenger side valve cover, its not needed with the LS6 PCV setup.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Part#'s
-12594779 (hose)
Man I wish that I did this instead. I just put the old style LS6 valley cover on.

I would not cap the two locations on the rear of the valve covers (old PCV locations) I would connect them. This would do a better job of passing the filtered air from the TB from the P/S valve cover over to the D/S. I would reuse the old driver side tube (disconnect it from the "Y") and connect it to the P/S rear vent tube by using 1' of 3/8" rubber fuel line.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
I will get all the P/Ns you mentioned except for the LS6 PCV hose assembly. i will get hose from an autoparts store, but i will get the PCV Valve #12572717.

on the how to http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18 it shows to plugs. the red one comes with the valley right? Then what about the rubber grommet. It show it on the how to in the pic.

I too have an 02, so then i will need to cut

What else? Other suggestions?
There is an article somewhere that said LS6 blocks were used in a small percentage of the 2001 fbody's and maybe 25% of the 2002's. Hopefully you will get lucky but I didn't.

I personnally would go with the 2004 valley cover if you do not need to add a PCV valve. If you run a catch can you would not need a "U" shaped hose. You would need a hose from the valley to the can and then another hose from the can to the intake.

Stuff socks in the bottom of the valley (front and rear) where you can see the cam from the top (remember to take them out when you are done). Tape the entire valley off with doubled up newspaper helps. Also use towels to cover the engine. If you have a second person run a vacuum while cutting. After removing all of the masking tape spray a rag with brake cleaner and wipe all the metal surfaces down that had adhesive stuck to it.

If you want the cap for the rear D/S valve cover send me a PM of your address and I will mail them USPS to you for free. I will be moving soon and need to get rid of some stuff.

Last edited by ssgunny; 10-20-2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Removed comment about orafice style PCV valve
Old 10-19-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
You can just plug off the front vent hose on the passenger side valve cover, its not needed with the LS6 PCV setup.
I disagree with this and if you follow the link below and read the entire thread you will see why you need a filtered fresh air source.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/908641-clearing-up-misconceptions-pcv-systems.html
Old 10-19-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

so the ls6 valley cover has the pcv valve under the valley cover with the oil seperator? what about when you have to change your pcv valve?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dutinsss
so the ls6 valley cover has the pcv valve under the valley cover with the oil seperator? what about when you have to change your pcv valve?
This is a quote from the installation instructions for my catch can:

"2004 and beyond LS1, LS6 and LS2 engines do not have an external PCV valve, but rather a built in 2.5 mm diameter orifice into the valley cover outlet hose fitting."

With this orafice in place there would be no maintenance (unless it got clogged or something).

Quick Reply: LS6 Valley Plate