Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR Solenoid Diagram Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AIR Solenoid Diagram Questions

I am in the process of removing the AIR system off the car. I came across this diagram on this site and was hoping to get some help with creating a Legend for the numbers. So far I have:

1. Mount for bracket
2. Vacuum line elbow
3. Vacuum check valve
4. AIR shutoff valve
5. AIR vacuum solenoid

I removed the solenoid and plan on removing the "T" conector in the vacuum line. I plan on plugging it directly in to the MAP sensor (I think it is called) on the back of the intake.

My final question is can I disconnect the electrical connector from item 5 and cap it? I would then remove item 5 since vacuum lines are no longer running to it?
Attached Thumbnails AIR Solenoid Diagram Questions-secondary-air-injection-solenoid-vacuum-line.gif  

Last edited by ssgunny; 10-14-2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Corrected item numbers
Old 09-23-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 09-23-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you want to remove AIR and unplug and remove item 5? then remove the line that runs from the t-fitting to item 5 and cap off the t-fitting?
Old 09-23-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Here is how it look remove everything from the t-fitting back and then plug the vaccum line that goes into the t-fitting directly into the back of the intake like you said. Yes you can unplug that connection and remove that too. The pictures are of the intake out of the car and how the air and egr would hook up to the intake. I hope this helps.

Last edited by firehawk#682; 09-23-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for those pictures, that helps a lot. so item 5 is only for the AIR system? and can you tune out the code that it will throw for disconnecting it? it seems like if it was only for the AIR, the line from the t-fitting would go directly to the AIR solenoid instead of going to item 5 and them having another line going to the AIR solenoid.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

I am planning on removing my AIR system this weekend as well and from what I gathered from my research is that item 5 is actually the AIR vacuum solenoid and item 4 is the AIR shutoff valve. I am pretty sure they can both be removed and all you will have to do is plug the vacuum line going into the back of the intake. Here's the thread I read all this in: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=removal+air
Old 09-24-2008, 05:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dutinsss
so you want to remove AIR and unplug and remove item 5? then remove the line that runs from the t-fitting to item 5 and cap off the t-fitting?
That is what I did but I have not started it up yet since I need block off plates still. I actually removed the "T" all together and plugged the vacuum line from the P/S of the vehicle directly in to the intake. The electical connection to item five is capped off to keep moister out of it since item 5 was removed.

Thanks Firehawk for the pics.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

^^ Ya thats how you do it!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok, cool. i'm going to do this today if i can manage to plug that fitting while the intake is still on the car. thanks a lot for the info.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

i took off everything except the vacuum line that comes from the t fitting and i plugged that for now. when i have my intake off to install an ls6 valley cover, i'll take out the t fitting. it runs just like normal and it probably threw a code but my ses light was already on anyway. since i dont plan on hooking it back up, i just cut the connector off and wrapped the wires in electric tape and tucked it into the wire loom.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hopefully you have an LS6 block and don't have to cut out the chuck on the passenger side. I tried doing it with a battery powered dremmel and that didn't last long. I bought a corded one and it made short work of cutting through the aluminum. If you can have a second person with a vacuum running it helps keep the mess down. Regardless use a lot of towels like the ls1howto.com site says to. Taping off directly around the area with masking tape and newspaper helps also. I used brake cleaner on a rag to wipe any tape residue off afterwards.
Originally Posted by dutinsss
i took off everything except the vacuum line that comes from the t fitting and i plugged that for now. when i have my intake off to install an ls6 valley cover, i'll take out the t fitting. it runs just like normal and it probably threw a code but my ses light was already on anyway. since i dont plan on hooking it back up, i just cut the connector off and wrapped the wires in electric tape and tucked it into the wire loom.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea, i really hope i have an ls6 block just for that reason. thanks for the advice though, i didn't think about having a second person with a vacuum.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know this is an old thread, but I am so stuck right now on removing this freaking usless POS air system. I thought it would be easy but Im struggling. So my questions, and reading all the threads here is what Im confused about. 2000 LS1 we somehow have to remove the AIR Solenoid...but how do you see what you are plugging and unplugging behind the intake? Im so confused what to plug back up...and how do you get the solenoid off? Any other pics or help would be appreciated. The pics in thread #4 are gone, and i think those might have helped. Any help appreciated.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
I know this is an old thread, but I am so stuck right now on removing this freaking usless POS air system. I thought it would be easy but Im struggling. So my questions, and reading all the threads here is what Im confused about. 2000 LS1 we somehow have to remove the AIR Solenoid...but how do you see what you are plugging and unplugging behind the intake? Im so confused what to plug back up...and how do you get the solenoid off? Any other pics or help would be appreciated. The pics in thread #4 are gone, and i think those might have helped. Any help appreciated.
I realize your post is from 4 years ago but will post this for others that are searching on the subject. See the attached photo that has been around for sometime to help you out. I had the intake off to convert the valley cover to the old LS6 design (no internal PCV) so I was able to access all the areas without a problem. I didn't have the EGR stuff on my car since that system is absent on the 2001/2 models.
Attached Thumbnails AIR Solenoid Diagram Questions-air-egr-system.jpg  

Quick Reply: AIR Solenoid Diagram Questions