Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting head gaskets WTF??? pros come in...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting head gaskets WTF??? pros come in...

Ok i just saw a thread on a TTi corvette being built by vengeance and they painted the cometic head gaskets prior to instalation with some "copper" paint... what is this product?? Is is proven or a wifes tale?? isnt the cometics/MLS gaskets coated from the factory??

please explain, should i do this or is it a dont??
Old 01-23-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cometics have a silicone coating from the factory, thus they do not need sprayed.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Did it on my old 406, worked great.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by deuce_454
Ok i just saw a thread on a TTi corvette being built by vengeance and they painted the cometic head gaskets prior to instalation with some "copper" paint... what is this product?? Is is proven or a wifes tale?? isnt the cometics/MLS gaskets coated from the factory??

please explain, should i do this or is it a dont??

Are you sure they were not using Copper head gaskets? If they were actually using copper head gaskets, then yes, they would have been sprayed. If they were using actual cometic gaskets with a copper spray, I am not familiar with that
Old 01-23-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you sure they were not using Copper head gaskets? If they were actually using copper head gaskets, then yes, they would have been sprayed. If they were using actual cometic gaskets with a copper spray, I am not familiar with that
pretty sure:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-v...ce-racing.html
Cometics drying after being coated with copper spray to reduce the change of leakage
Old 01-23-2009, 02:51 PM
9 Second Club

I usually "copper coat" the head gaskets before installation.
Not sure why or how it helps, but I do it just for extra assurance.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
Me too, I sprayed my Fel-Pro 1161's before install. Don't know if it helped, but I haven't had any head gasket issues since install. I did it mainly because Dart recommended it.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

There are probably a bunch of different brands out there; I use the one from Permatex. It is called Copper Spray-A-Gasket. I wouldn't call it "paint", although it does come in a spray can (a brush on version is also available). The description on the can indicates it is a Hi-Temp Sealant. Cometic does not recommend putting anything on their gaskets, but lots of engine builders do their own thing (copper sprays, yamabond, etc.). Then again, Cometic also has some very specific finish requirements.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Me too, I sprayed my Fel-Pro 1161's before install. Don't know if it helped, but I haven't had any head gasket issues since install. I did it mainly because Dart recommended it.
this is not about "if you spray your headgaskets". This is about if you spray Cometics. According to Cometic, you do NOT spray them with anything. People have sprayed them without issue though. I however did not and wont.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some people obviously do spray them. Many do not. For an N/A application without spray I don't think it's necessary. Surface prep is key. Add n2o and or boost, then maybe there is a benefit to it.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From a mechanical stand point copper is the softest metal asside from gold (too expensive) so the copper would act as a micro gasket between the headgaskets filling in smaller impercetions since its softer than the steel and is particulate. I'm jsut guessing. I could see it helping. It's more of a coating than painting. I'm sure it would rub somewhat on your hands.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Launching!

I don't see how there could be any benefit to doing that to an MLS / silicone coated gasket. It is necessary when using a copper head gasket and / or O rings for coolant retention, but MLS gaskets have that problem solved out of the starting gate. I don't see how this could ever help contain combustion in any way.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

I dont see how it would help silicone coated gaskets either. If it were bare metal it would help. The metal of the gasket (copper or steel) takes 99% of the combustion force and willl NEVER leak through solid metal piece. It will always leak on mating surfaces where a hard aluminum block meats a solid copper (or steel) gasket. These materials were both cast/machine as a whole and all loose pieces of material are removed. Adding the copper spary will fill in all the microscopic voids. If metal on metal sealed itself you theoretically should be able to just bolt the aluminum heads to the aluminum block right?
Old 01-23-2009, 06:30 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

It's not to seal combustion, to seal external (sometimes internal) coolant seepage due to imperfections in the head and deck sealing surface. Combustion is sealed by the fire ring portion of the head gasket, copper spray wouldn't do much there.

I like to use copper spray on Cometic gaskets when used with unmilled heads and/or block, such as when doing a heads/cam install or reusing heads on a new block, etc. Fresh proper machining on both usually will have successful sealing without copper spray.

Even though Cometic does not recommend the use of sealer, I prefer to as cheap insurance to alleviate coolant leaks and headache's after assembling a setup.

The GM MLS gaskets do not require sealant, have not used Fel-Pro MLS, but I have heard they have better sealing tendencies.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

I am about to swap the gaskets on my Duramax diesel. Pressurized coolant tank problem for a while now and i will be using GM which i believe are Cometic gaskets. Would you reccomend this as an added sealer? I ask because the head gasket swap is 38 shop hours and once i have it all done i dont want to be taking it back apart again. I posted it on the duramax forum i just havent gotten an answer yet. The heads will be milled, the block is iron and will just be cleaned by me with a razor.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

hmm is this like painting the cylinder heads on a motorcycle instead of using agasket?

I know this was popular years back as a cheap way to raise compression. my father does it to this day and i did it to my 85 kawasaki 1000 after i put the 1170 kit and smoothbores on it
Old 01-23-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Haha i just saw your name and my ferret 'tweak' is crawling around my room right now. It would be the same basic principle. You are using the paint to make the seal of the head gaskets where as this would be helping the seal of the head gasket. Your air cooled engine (i think it was) would have a much larger cylinder head to block area in relation to bore size than the ls1 though so you definately cant do that on the ls1.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
I am about to swap the gaskets on my Duramax diesel. Pressurized coolant tank problem for a while now and i will be using GM which i believe are Cometic gaskets. Would you reccomend this as an added sealer? I ask because the head gasket swap is 38 shop hours and once i have it all done i dont want to be taking it back apart again. I posted it on the duramax forum i just havent gotten an answer yet. The heads will be milled, the block is iron and will just be cleaned by me with a razor.
I have replaced heads on a D-max and the gaskets were extremely similar to what Cometic offers, unsure on where they are sourced. I have not heard of anyone using it on diesels, but it is a good question.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

I figured i wouldnt since it wasnt mentioned anywhere on the forum but $434 for gaskets and bolts and injector seals plus the $260 for a water pump and more importantly 38 hours of my time i didnt want to waste the attempt hahaha. I hate doing things twice. Esspecially after me since i red thread lock everthing because the tube is right there.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:59 PM

At least 38 hours! It was not a pleasurable event.

Quick Reply: Painting head gaskets WTF??? pros come in...