Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it a Catylic Converter Problem or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it a Catylic Converter Problem or something else?

Hey,

For the last couple weeks I have been noticing a very loud rattling noise coming from beneath my car. I mistakenly thought it was my cutout but now came to find it was more than I thought.

I took it to a local muffler shop and he raised it up and apparently when he hit the Y-pipe right after the driver side catylic converter it rattled alot.. He said that it might be pieces of the catylic coverter stuck inside the Y-pipe. The noise happens most often while at Idle. I have noticed my car's fuel economy has dropped a bit. If it is truely that my driver side catylic converter, what did i do to cause it? I ask this because I do not want to replace them, only for it to break a few weeks later.

Shouldn't my check engine light go off if this was the case? Because I havnt seen it light up at all these last few weeks..

Also just as a fyi my passenger side converter looks slightly discolored could that mean it will go out soon?

Also what should this cost me to get fixed?

If someone could explain to me what I'm looking at and what my options are that would be great.

OH and the car only has 26,000 miles on it
Old 11-12-2009, 02:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like the cat is coming apart. There may be nothing wrong with your car but a misfire will cause premature failure. This will set a DTC and the check engine light will flash if it detects a miss. Cats get pretty hot and will normally discolor the cases somewhat, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the color. I really don't know what it would cost to fix but it won't be cheap to get a new cat from GM. You may want to browse the for sale section or place a want-to-buy add and see if you can pick up a used one.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Launching!

It definitely sounds like that catalytic. If your driving style hasn't changed at all and your mpgs are falling slightly then the motor is dumping fuel into the exhaust to cool the cats down because the o2s are telling it to. Check the codes. You may have one but it hasn't set of the cel yet. My truck has done it on a number of occasions. If I were you, I would delete the cats and tune the rear o2 sensors out. It is cheaper. New cats from gm are pricey and hi-flows go to **** fairly quickly. Mine did after 10k miles. If you need them for state emissions find a used pair and weld them in.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Theirs an extended warranty for all 00-02 v8 Camaro's and Firebird's.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94955

"Campaign - Catalytic Converter Warranty Extension
Subject:
Special Coverage Adjustment - Catalytic Converter Extended Warranty
# 05513 - (11/27/2006)

Models:
2000-02 CHEVROLET CAMARO
2000-02 PONTIAC FIREBIRD

EQUIPPED WITH 5.7L V8 (RPO LSI - VIN G) ENGINE

Condition

Some customers of 2000-02 Chevrolet Camaro and 2000-02 Pontiac Firebird model vehicles, equipped with a 5.7L V8 (RPO LSI - VIN G) engine, may experience a failure of the left or right catalytic converter.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 27, 2006 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 27, 2006 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider."

Got mine done last year for free! You might need that number in bold when you go to the dealer, when I went I got the "wtf are you talking about" face until I showed the bulletin number and they checked it.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

if the cat was bad it should definetly cause a SES light.(ben there done that)
also why didnt u get them to take the y-pipe off and look in it(very easy)
it like 4 bolts and a clamp, done
i hope u find the problem

FYI this is the wrong thread too, u should be in External engine

Last edited by 01'SSLSX; 11-12-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by David_viny
Theirs an extended warranty for all 00-02 v8 Camaro's and Firebird's.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94955

"Campaign - Catalytic Converter Warranty Extension
Subject:
Special Coverage Adjustment - Catalytic Converter Extended Warranty
# 05513 - (11/27/2006)

Models:
2000-02 CHEVROLET CAMARO
2000-02 PONTIAC FIREBIRD

EQUIPPED WITH 5.7L V8 (RPO LSI - VIN G) ENGINE

Condition

Some customers of 2000-02 Chevrolet Camaro and 2000-02 Pontiac Firebird model vehicles, equipped with a 5.7L V8 (RPO LSI - VIN G) engine, may experience a failure of the left or right catalytic converter.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 27, 2006 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 27, 2006 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider."

Got mine done last year for free! You might need that number in bold when you go to the dealer, when I went I got the "wtf are you talking about" face until I showed the bulletin number and they checked it.
I contacted a local dealership and after some long talking they told me they "found" the extended warranty.
My question is I currently have a E-cutout and a flowmaster cat-back will they try to void the warranty with that?