Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick my valves!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help me pick my valves!

Ok, all these damn valve sizes are throwing me off. I will have the heads ported for a T1 cam. This is a daily driver and needs to be very streetable so which valves, and which sizes will give me the max gains? What valves use the stock valve seats? Thanks.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help me pick my valves!

2.02 intake and 1.56 exhaust.These will accept the stock valve seats.I am going with the ferrera valves from MTI in a week or so.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I cannot find the 1.56 Ferrea 6000 series valves on their website. Do you know the Ferrea part # for those?
Old 04-10-2002, 11:49 PM
Banned

Here you are:
2.02 F6231
1.55 F6232
1.60 F6233

The 1.55's are what you're looking for.

If you can afford it, go with the Ferrea's. If not the Rev's are a little cheaper and Manley's cheaper yet. But I'm not so sure that a few numbers on the flow bench is as important as lighter valvetrain. So the 2002 LS6 valves might be worth trying.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

I would suggest the Ferrea valves also.

Depending on the valve length, etc. that you are looking for it may be more cost effective to cut down a standard valve (1.60 exhaust, etc.) to the size you want - we do this quite often. This will be much cheaper than going with a custom valve.

Chris
Old 04-11-2002, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

ChrisB, can you elaborate more on what you mean by cutting the 1.60 down? Thanks.

BTW, Janzter, thanks for the part #'s. How could you cut down the '02 ZO6 valves as they are filled with Na and K? They are definately sweet but I don't know if they could work. Thanks.

Also, couldn't one have the stock valves machined down some so they're less tapered than they normally are?

<small>[ April 11, 2002, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: NastyC5 ]</small>
Old 04-11-2002, 01:49 PM
Banned

I think what Chris means is cutting the 1.60 down to 1.57 which is the largest that will fit on the stock seat. He's talking about the diameter not the back of the valve. I'm assuming it's done with a lathe or valve grinder.

The 2002 LS6 valves are 2.00 1.55 and wouldn't need to be cut. I would think a standard backcut wouldn't be a problem but I can't say for sure. They would flow plenty well (afterall even stock valved heads run well) and would be WAY lighter than any of ther other valves. Thus lighter valvesprings can be used, valvetrain wear/reliability is improved, the engine will rev quicker etc. The larger valves aren't really worth anything on the 3.90" bore. On a flow bench yes, but the strip I doubt it. I KNOW lighter valvetrain will be good for something. FWIW, the Ferrea valves are heavier than the other valves both the Rev & Manley in the same size. But they're not tuliped as much either on the top so compression would be marginally higher. Just some things to think about.

The only benefit I see with larger valves (2.05 etc.) is the ability to use 5 angle valve seats.
Old 04-11-2002, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Yep, I am talking about cutting down the diameter of the valve face. Especially if you end up wanting something like a +0.100", etc. valve or some other size for geometry, lift, etc. reasons it will be much cheaper to cut down the valve than to purchase a custom valve.

And yep, no reason to cut down the LS6 valves.

Chris
Old 04-11-2002, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by NastyC5:
<strong>ChrisB, can you elaborate more on what you mean by cutting the 1.60 down? Thanks.

BTW, Janzter, thanks for the part #'s. How could you cut down the '02 ZO6 valves as they are filled with Na and K? They are definately sweet but I don't know if they could work. Thanks.

Also, couldn't one have the stock valves machined down some so they're less tapered than they normally are?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jason99ta said it would take alot of work to get the z06 valves to work on my 98 heads because of the cam base circle or something like that.Also z06 valves are 45 bucks a piece.I already looked into getting them but I have now chosen an alternate route.