Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L92/LY6 truck to LS3/L76/L99 car intake manifold

Old 08-24-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Default L92/LY6 truck to LS3/L76/L99 car intake manifold

I know this has been done plenty of times, but I couldn't find much info on specifics when searching. Hopefully this thread will generate appropriate info for others trying to do this.

I have a 2007 LY6 (L92 heads, truck intake) and I'd like to swap to a car intake manifold (LS3, L99, L76). Is there a particular version I should be looking for that is more interchangeable than another?

Do I need the MAP sensor from the car manifold? I'd like to reuse as much of the LY6 wiring harness as I can, so I'm hoping the injectors and MAP will plug in and the LY6 TB will swap over. I assume I need a complete intake with injectors and fuel rail, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for any help. I will keep searching and adding info to this thread as I find it.

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 08-27-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:00 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I bought an LS3 take off manifold with injectors, rail and bolts. The bolts are often overlooked on these truck to car intake swap but they are different and a pitfa to get at the stealership so keep that in mind. Also the injectors on LS3's are 41lb vs stock truck L92 injectors which are 30lb so you get a double bonus there.

As for the MAP I havent even looked into that so I cant help you there. I do know that the MAP location is the only difference between the L76 and LS3 intakes otherwise they ar4e identical. Well aside from the noise shield thing on top but internal and without the sound dampener they are the same. Speaking of the sound dampener I've read that it holds in more heat and should be removed for peak performance anyways.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

This thread has some good pictures showing some of the differences between the LS3 and L76 manifolds. According to this, the LS3 has a screw-down MAP sensore while the L76 has a clip-in style. From the pictures it also looks like the connectors are different between the two.
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ad.php?t=79686

L76

LS3
Old 08-25-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Based on alocker's swap shown in the next two photos, it looks like the gen IV truck waterpump can clear the stock gen IV truck throttebody with the lower car intake, but relocating the idler is still necessary to use the truck accessory drive.

Thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-malibu-2.html

Here is some info and a bracket Speartech sells for relocating the idler pulley: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ack-stock.html
Here is a smaller and much less expensive relocation bracket: http://dirtydingo.com/store/product_...=1089&CDpath=1

Below is a gen III truck engine (i.e. LQ4, LQ9). Notice how the waterpump casting near the outlet is different from the one posted above. The gen III waterpump looks to be the same for truck & car with two bosses for outlets; the front boss used on cars and the top boss used on trucks. The gen IV truck waterpump is cast with only one outlet direction at the top and angled toward the passenger side.

In the picture below of a gen III truck engine, the waterpump neck has been relocated to the front of the pump and the idler pulley was relocated with speartech's bracket. For the gen IV truck relocating the waterpump outlet doesn't seem to be necessary.

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 08-27-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

btt for input. I checked the MAP sensor on my LY6 and it doesn't look like the LS3 or L76 sensors shown above. It has a clip that spans over both sides of it where those two look to be held from one side. Still curious about interchangeability and compatability. For example, can I connect to the LS3 or L76 MAP sensor without any changes to the LY6 wire harness, connector, or ECU programming?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI - Dirty dingo designed and sells that idler relocation bracket. It's much cheaper than speartech. And they offer the belt, too (although I found it cheaper, Dayco PN 5060960). I did an LS3 intake on an LQ4 w/ L92s and ran into that issue. I had to run an L92 water pump, which I believe is the same as the LY6 (i.e., you should have no problems with TB clearance). You can keep the alt bracket, but you have to cut it like this.

I cut and soldered in an LS3 MAP connector. It's fairly simple - here's the pinout. The LS3 connector is PN 88988583. I bought it from gmpartsdirect for $18.

EDIT: I learned that the LS3 MAP sensor is different than the earlier LS1/LS2/LQ4/LQ9/etc. sensor. In this case, you should use your existing MAP sensor and use o-ring(s) to make it fit the LS3 hole. Here's some info on the subject.

Last edited by hookemdevils22; 12-15-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: LS3 MAP no workie with earlier PCMs
Old 08-26-2010, 12:05 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
FYI - Dirty dingo designed and sells that idler relocation bracket. It's much cheaper than speartech. And they offer the belt, too (although I found it cheaper, Dayco PN 5060960). I did an LS3 intake on an LQ4 w/ L92s and ran into that issue. I had to run an L92 water pump, which I believe is the same as the LY6 (i.e., you should have no problems with TB clearance). You can keep the alt bracket, but you have to cut it like this.

I cut and soldered in an LS3 MAP connector. It's fairly simple - here's the pinout. The LS3 connector is PN 88988583. I bought it from gmpartsdirect for $18.
Great help thanks!
Old 08-27-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

hookemdevils22, thanks for all the great info. Did you have to change anything programming wise for the LS3 MAP or is the output the same?

chevellepowered on the board says he used an LY6 MAP in an LS3 manifold by making a bracket and adding a large o-ring to seal it. Anyone else tried this? He mentions it here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...boosted-6.html
Old 08-27-2010, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as far as i know you do not. at least i didn't. i haven't had any issues, granted i haven't had it 'fully' tuned yet (got a rough tune so i could drive it. i'm going to dyno tune it after doing exhaust cutouts on my ladder bar front mount x-member so i can run full exhaust).

i think the LY6 MAP is a good idea - i looked into this when doing mine until i sold the truck intake and forgot to grab it.

EDIT: Don't use the LS3 MAP with earlier PCMs. See my previous post.

btw - love the link in the sig.

Last edited by hookemdevils22; 12-15-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any issues keeping the LS3 TB as well when swapping on LY6 motor and ECM? Besides the obvious clearance issues with water pump.

Donor motor had no intake and I bought an LS3 that included the TB. I need to either buy a truck TB or change the water pump. The LS3 TB has a cleaner look to it if the LY6 ECM can run it. Most LY6 swaps I have seen keep the truck TB when changing to the LS3 intake and have not found confirmation that the LS3 TB will work.

For reference, Stock LY6, keeping the vvt, going in 2nd gen camaro.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by lolife55
Are there any issues keeping the LS3 TB as well when swapping on LY6 motor and ECM? Besides the obvious clearance issues with water pump.

Donor motor had no intake and I bought an LS3 that included the TB. I need to either buy a truck TB or change the water pump. The LS3 TB has a cleaner look to it if the LY6 ECM can run it. Most LY6 swaps I have seen keep the truck TB when changing to the LS3 intake and have not found confirmation that the LS3 TB will work.

what year? ......thread/pics?
Old 08-28-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

I used my LY6 map sensor on my L76 intake. works great.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:41 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by pillagenburn
I used my LY6 map sensor on my L76 intake. works great.
Any mods required to get it to fit?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

I bought an LS3 intake manifold today. When it arrives I'll try the LY6 MAP sensor and see what's needed to adapt.

Here are some pics of what chevellepowered did to put his LY6 MAP into the LS3 manifold. He says he used a "big o-ring" to seal it. I'm hoping he chimes in with more infol.

Originally Posted by chevellepowered

def redneck..

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 08-29-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Posted in his thread, but in case you didnt see it, ive heard a few people use the same oring that gm provides, just stacking them up.

Last edited by Irish350; 09-08-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lolife55

I have an 87mm truck t.b. if you are interested in trading your ls3 t.b. for it.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default thanks

i've been searching for this subject/swap info for a while and stumbled on it today. thanks cam, thebandit, hookemdevils22. my ls1tech fam always comes thru. thanks again and keep wrenchin'.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Here is another option for idler pulley mounting from Schwanke Engines. Looks like they use a spacer and extra long bolt to put the idler in the mounting hole under the alternator. Belt routing is obviously different too. I like the simplicity of the idler pulley mounting, but it looks to me like the belt engagement is less on all of the pulleys.

More info here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-produ...-270-99-a.html
Old 09-09-2010, 01:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Here is another option for idler pulley mounting from Schwanke Engines. Looks like they use a spacer and extra long bolt to put the idler in the mounting hole under the alternator. Belt routing is obviously different too. I like the simplicity of the idler pulley mounting, but it looks to me like the belt engagement is less on all of the pulleys.

More info here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-produ...-270-99-a.html
The belt routing is very simular to the F-Body. The belt wrap is just slightly less than that.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Regarding the MAP sensor, I got my 2010 LS3 intake a few days ago and tried out the LY6 sensor. The hole in the intake is definitely bigger on the LS3 intake, hence verifying the need for doubled-up seals. I may pickup some o-rings from the hardware store to try out, but I'm guessing some carefully placed RTV or Right Stuff would do the trick to form a seal. The injector connections are the same as on my '07 LY6 and the LY6 throttle body bolted right up. I think I may have to shave a little off the waterpump near the outlet, but it shoudn't be too bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: L92/LY6 truck to LS3/L76/L99 car intake manifold