LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Throttle Body Spacer

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Throttle Body Spacer

I just installed a throttle body spacer on my 07 MCSS. AiRaid part number 200-586. Its actually for 02-06 Trailblazer/Envoy with the 4.2L 6 cyl. Our throttle bodies are the same which I'm sure most of you on here know. There was a thread about it a while ago. I know some of you guys said its a waste of money for the power gain, but I've always liked the results of the AiRaid tbs so I installed one. I have noticed slightly more power in the midrange and top end. Passing power mostly (45-90mph) And it makes the intake sound a little louder. When you nail it to the floor you even get a little bit of a swooshing sound. So for $100 I'm satisfied with it. Sounds good and pulls a little harder. I also installed a hypertech 180* t-stat today. Also got Summit 1.8 ratio roller rockers, but thats for another day. The thermostat was enough fun for me today. Just thought you guys would like to know about the tbs and now you got a part number if any of you want one. Hopefully I will have some pics up within a week.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Throttle body spacer was a big hit with the guys running the L67/L32 cars. Its a great way of keeping the TB cooler then the supercharger, but for these cars, I do not see a really good reason for it.

I would like to see pics of this set up on the LS4 5.3. Also, which part number did you use for the hyperstat?

Also, wouldnt that TB Spacer mess up the fitting for the K&N CAI kit? Since its to aline up with the trans and front part?

Last edited by Taz34SS; 03-16-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

I would like to see pics of this set up on the LS4 5.3. Also, which part number did you use for the hyperstat?

Also, wouldnt that TB Spacer mess up the fitting for the K&N CAI kit? Since its to aline up with the trans and front part?
x 2 would like to see pics also
Old 03-17-2008, 06:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

the stock t-stat in our cars is already a 187* t-stat... so I don't think the 180* one is gonna do much... I could be wrong...

I would think you could have just adjusted your fans to come on sooner at more of a power %...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 03-17-2008, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I suspect that this isn't going to do much to keep the TB cooler. Unlike some other LSx engines, the LS4 does not have coolant flow to the TB, and the plastic intake isn't going to transfer too much heat from the engine. Most of the heat that the TB picks up probably comes from the exhaust crossover pipe thats only 3" away.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

SOP can be deceaving some times, Id like to see dyno #'s before and after if possible.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
the stock t-stat in our cars is already a 187* t-stat... so I don't think the 180* one is gonna do much... I could be wrong...

I would think you could have just adjusted your fans to come on sooner at more of a power %...
I'm curious what net gain this would accomplish. The fans coming on early to provide a few degrees of cooling vs addition load on the charging system. Or does the alternator draw the same engine load regardless of power demand.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you guys want the TB to stay cooler you can also wrap the crossover with some header wrap. It keeps A LOT of the heat away from the TB. Plus, it is pretty cheap to do.

-Mike
Old 03-17-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle
If you guys want the TB to stay cooler you can also wrap the crossover with some header wrap. It keeps A LOT of the heat away from the TB. Plus, it is pretty cheap to do.

-Mike
Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner
Old 03-17-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by live2ride
I'm curious what net gain this would accomplish. The fans coming on early to provide a few degrees of cooling vs addition load on the charging system. Or does the alternator draw the same engine load regardless of power demand.
The gain is that a cooler running engine heats the air charge a bit less, so you get a denser charge and more power potential. A cooler running is also less prone to detonation.

Here's a picture of some calcs I ran last fall on air density changes as a result of temperature. Over the last year, I've logged manifold air temperatures from -35*C on a cold start to +98*C idling in traffic, pretty much the entire range of the graph.

Throttle Body Spacer-temp-chart.jpg

Alternator load increases with current draw. If you have an alternator putting out 100A @ 14 volts, that's 1400 watts, or about 1.9 HP. If you factor in friction, hysteresis losses, and other efficiency losses, maybe the alternator uses 4-5 HP at maximum draw (i'm figuring 40-50% efficiency, but that's just a wild *** guess).

Old 03-17-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

But the question of if he did it with the K&N CAI on there is still up. IF you add a 1/2 spacer, thats going to throw off the fit for this system and I would like to see how you were able to overcome that.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Launching!

To answer your question taz, the vacuum port that goes to the throttle body will stretch the extra inch and fit fine. You have to slightly bend one of the heater hoses so it doesn't hit that vacuum line. The other vacuum line your refering to will fit as well. Take the rubber elbow deal off and get some 3/8 fuel line about 3in. long. There you go, the vacuum line is extended and plugs into the K&N CAI just like stock. I'll take some pics tomorrow of this and post them tomorrow nite. It was an easy install and i think it was worth it. If i had the money and a place close with a dyno i'd get you guys some numbers.

I didn't put the tbs on to make my tb cooler. I had one on my 01 MCSS and liked the results. So I figured why not. The 180* T-stat was a waste though. Doesn't really run any cooler. I'd been better reprogramming the fan command on the pcm. But oh well, I know now for next time.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, I cant wait to see those pics and see how it looks.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MonteSS8707

I didn't put the tbs on to make my tb cooler. I had one on my 01 MCSS and liked the results. So I figured why not. The 180* T-stat was a waste though. Doesn't really run any cooler. I'd been better reprogramming the fan command on the pcm. But oh well, I know now for next time.
Fair enough. I saw lots of spacers on the market when I was looking for an adapter plate to mount a LS4 TB on a LS6 intake. Ended up building my own, so I guess I have a 1/2" TB spacer that will be installed too. Mine just doesn't have the fancy swirly grooves and anodizing that I saw on commercial units

Old 03-18-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

For the thermostat to work you need to reprogram the fans to match, together they will work wonders, independently the fans will do more...
Old 03-18-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think my comment with a quote from Lew (06MonteSS) was taken in the wrong way. I realize colder air is denser and allows the engine to make more power. My question related to simply turning up the fans in an attempt to cool the engine with a stock or nearly stock t-stat. I presumed the extra electrical demand on the charging system would negate any slight power gained by the few degrees of cooler engine coolant temp.

I noticed a big difference when I put the 160 in my Z (also adjusted Fans) but that was from either a 185 or 195 t-stat. The biggest diff in the Z was stopping the hot coolant from circulating through the TB. Even with headers the air intake stays cool to the touch.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Another benefit of earlier fans than stock is the engine will idle/cool at a stop at a temperature that doesnt go into a timing retard temperature band. For probably emmissions reasons GM has the fans turning off at a temp that the ECM starts pulling timing.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by live2ride
I presumed the extra electrical demand on the charging system would negate any slight power gained by the few degrees of cooler engine coolant temp.
hmmm.... didn't think of that...

so I asked a few tuners that very question, and they all said that since the alternator is a constant drag anyway, there would be no negative impact from the amperage drawn by the adjusted fans.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 03-18-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Those few "tuners" wouldnt be the great people at DS would it???
Old 03-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Launching!

That should answer all your questions. Had to bend a heater hose outta the way slightly, bend the CAI elbow support bracket out slightly, and use about a 3in. piece of 3/8 fuel line to replace a short pcv elbow. Taz i don't remember the part number on the hyperstat i think it was 1028 or 1008. I'll pm you the number when i find the box. Sorry the motor dirty and it was pouring its *** off when i took pics of my car 2day. The southwest IL. weather hasn't been very mild or nice lately. Either raining or snowing every other day it seems.
Attached Thumbnails Throttle Body Spacer-picture-002.jpg   Throttle Body Spacer-picture-003.jpg   Throttle Body Spacer-picture-004.jpg   Throttle Body Spacer-picture-005.jpg   Throttle Body Spacer-picture-006.jpg  

Throttle Body Spacer-picture-010.jpg  

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Spacer