LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rag-Joint Eliminator !

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 06:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rag-Joint Eliminator !

other than (Unbalanced Engineering), are there any other brands/manufacturers who offer these rag-joint eliminators? i tried to search on summit but nothing found so far, need it asap,,,
Old 03-10-2009, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unbalanced engineering is the only one I have ever heard of.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

i did contact unbalanced eng. but they do not ship overseas
Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Launching!

In that case you could find a shop to make one or try yourself to make one. they really arent complicated.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven97
In that case you could find a shop to make one or try yourself to make one. they really arent complicated.
Or use the LS1 steering shaft, as it just needs some slight mods to work. We just had a thread on it, that dealt in the eliminator as well, but it had the info on what was needing to be done for the LS shaft. I'd search for it for you, but I have to run.

I'm sure you could find someone here who'd let you ship it to their place and then ship it overseas for you if you could send them the money, via PayPal or something. I would except we're moving very very soon :\
Old 03-10-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

Thanx everybody, a good guy here in ls1tech.com (James Montigny) just offered to help ship the item to me
Old 03-10-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Ah he stole my shine! I was about to offer the same thing. Oh well good luck you will love the new feeling.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by porksoda
Ah he stole my shine! I was about to offer the same thing. Oh well good luck you will love the new feeling.
hehehe, u were a bit late ,,,yes cant wait to fix the play in my steering wheel
Old 03-10-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula350
We just had a thread on it, that dealt in the eliminator as well, but it had the info on what was needing to be done for the LS shaft. I'd search for it for you, but I have to run.
If you find it would you please post it up? Thanks!
Old 03-10-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
If you find it would you please post it up? Thanks!
Only for more pics of the pretty lady next to the 'camaro

Meh ok, like that'll happen anyways lol
https://ls1tech.com/forums/10260025-post26.html

My solution to the 90º off problem, would be either drill a hole through the shaft and the steering wheel portion and then put a bolt through the whole thing (like the trailer hitch fitting inside the receiver and the pin holds it in place). Or to grind a small section out where the bolt has to pass through the eyelets but comes in contact with the round area on the splined steering side. If you don't quite follow me, take your shaft off and it'll make sense then Otherwise PM me and I"ll try to explain it better.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

i would use the Ls1 shaft to avoid the entire shipping hassle.....
to mod the Ls1 shaft will take about 20 min to do thats 5min to remove from car,knock the knuckle off the splinened end re-clock into Lt1 position put a small tack-weld to hold in place then re-instal... that's how it worked for me.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
to mod the Ls1 shaft will take about 20 min to do thats 5min to remove from car,knock the knuckle off the splinened end re-clock into Lt1 position put a small tack-weld to hold in place then re-instal... that's how it worked for me.
Since you added a bit of info there, compared to your post with the pics, your idea is quite easy as well. Even after 2 pics, I still wasn't quite sure what you had done, and actually though you welded the steering splined shaft to the LS1 steering shaft!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

How do you knock off the knuckle? When you say splined end, are you referring to the side that bolts up to the rack?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the link!

So it will only be off 90* if you use the LS1 steering linkage with an LT1 rack?

I am planning on swapping in the LS1 rack and linkage together...
Old 03-10-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
So it will only be off 90* if you use the LS1 steering linkage with an LT1 rack?

I am planning on swapping in the LS1 rack and linkage together...
Pretty sure you're fine then, the_merv can tell you for sure though.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
How do you knock off the knuckle? When you say splined end, are you referring to the side that bolts up to the rack?
no modding of the rack end is needed...focus on the opposite end.

if you look at the top portion of the Ls1 shaft you will see where the splined shaft goes into the knucle, directly under the small universal joint the shaft is pinched in 2 places, you have to grind this part to allow the shaft to be seperated from the knuckle, at this point you rotate the shaft to match ths Lt1 shaft reassemble shaft then reinstall into car. Now at this point pull the Ls1 shaft from the car and put 2 small tack-welds on the portion of the splined shaft this is so easy it is rediculous.....you really need to have both shafts in your hand, there is no trickery here.

i posted 2 pics showing where i tack-welded in a similar post a few months back.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

no modding of the rack end is needed...focus on the opposite end.

if you look at the top portion of the Ls1 shaft you will see where the splined shaft goes into the knucle, directly under the small universal joint the shaft is pinched in 2 places, you have to grind this part to allow the shaft to be seperated from the knuckle, at this point you rotate the shaft to match ths Lt1 shaft reassemble shaft then reinstall into car. Now at this point pull the Ls1 shaft from the car and put 2 small tack-welds on the portion of the splined shaft this is so easy it is rediculous.....you really need to have both shafts in your hand, there is no trickery here.

i posted 2 pics showing where i tack-welded in a similar post a few months back.
I see what he's talking about now.

Do you knock off the part at location 1 or 2 in the image? And for anyone w/o a welder, you could still drill and bolt the area he's referring to.
Attached Thumbnails Rag-Joint Eliminator !-ls1.png  
Old 03-14-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

I see what he's talking about now.

Do you knock off the part at location 1 or 2 in the image? And for anyone w/o a welder, you could still drill and bolt the area he's referring to.
ARGH, you just won't stop... Redneck hack stupidity...

You CANNOT drill and bolt on the steering shaft, PERIOD!

that is a high-load/stress component, one that CANNOT FAIL! (Safety, ever heard of it? Actually, you obviously wouldn't take responsibility of someone did what you said and it ended up breaking while driving, there was loss of control and it killed someone, now would you?)

It is designed, from the factory, as a captured shaft, in that if the vibration-isolating material deteriorates, the shaft can still be used to drive the vehicle as the shaft sections are captured with the 'cage' of the design. That applies to both the LT1 and LS1 shafts.

The only way to modify the LS1 shaft is to grind or press the flared sections, as described by 96lt1m6, and reassembled and press or weld that section. The spline is all that is required for strength so the weld or pressed flare is there for pull-apart tension, which the rack really won't see large loads in on the car.

To tell someone to drill into the steering intermediate shaft is beyond ignorant, it is dangerous. You really need to STFU for everyones good.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

There are two main ways that S-10 guys replace the rag-joint.

One is buying a shaft out of Jeeps (different jeeps had different lengths), and it simply bolts onto the stock shaft after the shaft is cut shorter. The jeep shaft has the same splines. Not sure if this would be any help to "do-it-yourselfer" F-body people... truck guys are VERY DIY.

The other way is buying pieces from Flaming River. If you don't like modifying at all, I'd look into the flaming river peices. They're pretty too
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch
Old 03-14-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
ARGH, you just won't stop... Redneck hack stupidity...

You CANNOT drill and bolt on the steering shaft, PERIOD!

that is a high-load/stress component, one that CANNOT FAIL! (Safety, ever heard of it? Actually, you obviously wouldn't take responsibility of someone did what you said and it ended up breaking while driving, there was loss of control and it killed someone, now would you?)

It is designed, from the factory, as a captured shaft, in that if the vibration-isolating material deteriorates, the shaft can still be used to drive the vehicle as the shaft sections are captured with the 'cage' of the design. That applies to both the LT1 and LS1 shafts.

The only way to modify the LS1 shaft is to grind or press the flared sections, as described by 96lt1m6, and reassembled and press or weld that section. The spline is all that is required for strength so the weld or pressed flare is there for pull-apart tension, which the rack really won't see large loads in on the car.

To tell someone to drill into the steering intermediate shaft is beyond ignorant, it is dangerous. You really need to STFU for everyones good.
Either you're misunderstanding me, or I'm not following what you're talking about :\

This is where I'm referring to, just to make sure we're on the same page. Hole is drilled there, through the clamped area and then through the steering wheel's splinned shaft. Use a small bolt that just keeps it from pulling out.
Attached Thumbnails Rag-Joint Eliminator !-ls1.png  

Quick Reply: Rag-Joint Eliminator !