LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 balacing

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 balacing

im using a stock crank scat ibeams mahle powerpak pistons i am about to get it balanced im planing on buying a new flexplate do i external or internally balance the motor and what do i bring
Old 04-28-2010, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

the rotating assembly is balanced with the flexplate as part of it

why is your builder/machine shop not giving you this information?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Launching!

i thought lt1s are internal up front external in back thats why i ask
so i need to get the flexplate before i balance the motor?
what if it breaks how do i replace it
Old 04-28-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you need a neutral balanced flexplate, lt1 specific, jegs and summit sells them.

you take crank, rods, pistons,wrist pins, rings, and rod bearings..

you want it internally balanced !!

you might ask the guy balancing if he would need the crankhub and pulley also..
Old 04-28-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The shop that did mine wanted the clutch and flywheel and the crank dampener.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

LT1s are externally balanced on the rear and internally balanced on the front. The flexplate is the same as every SBC from 1986-up, not LT1 specific.

The machine shop should tell you what they need to balance it for you. We require the crankshaft, rods, pistons, spirolocks, pins, rings, rod bearings, flexplate, flexplate bolts, balancer hub and balancer. With all of the new parts preferably in the boxes that they came in and unmolested. Only reason I say that is because we have had people bring their stuff in all piled up in a box and expect it all to be perfect when they get it back. We balance them on the crankshaft itself so if you ever need to change a flexplate or balancer, you can replace them with stock parts. 99% of shops that balance rotating assemblies do that.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heres the tci, lt1 internal(neutral) balance flexplate from jegs..
http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/399174/10002/-1
Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

the lt1 is considered "split balanced", internal on the front and external on the back

the flexplate or flywheel is weighted and therefor needs to be included when your assembly is balanced
Old 04-28-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 93ls7z
LT1s are externally balanced on the rear and internally balanced on the front. The flexplate is the same as every SBC from 1986-up, not LT1 specific.

The machine shop should tell you what they need to balance it for you. We require the crankshaft, rods, pistons, spirolocks, pins, rings, rod bearings, flexplate, flexplate bolts, balancer hub and balancer. With all of the new parts preferably in the boxes that they came in and unmolested. Only reason I say that is because we have had people bring their stuff in all piled up in a box and expect it all to be perfect when they get it back. We balance them on the crankshaft itself so if you ever need to change a flexplate or balancer, you can replace them with stock parts. 99% of shops that balance rotating assemblies do that.
i just looked into it because i need to buy another flexplate to fit my 11.5 bolt converter and your right..on a stock motor you would need an externaly balanced flex plate unless your getting it all balanced for an internal deal then you would go with an internal flex plate..
Old 04-29-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dangalla
the lt1 is considered "split balanced", internal on the front and external on the back

the flexplate or flywheel is weighted and therefor needs to be included when your assembly is balanced
correct..

But,
if you want a internally balanced engine, you have to buy the neutral weight flexplate, no way around it, or remove the weight from your stock flexplate...

i have just went through this, as i just bought my speedpro forged rebuild kit from summit, using stock crank and rods, i know the assembly will need to be rebalanced..
i asked this on a different forum and also spoke with 2 different guys that balance locally, both local men, and almost all on the other forum said to neutral/internally balance the complete assembly using a neutral weight flexplate (no weight), that it would be easier for them to balance, and balance better..
Old 04-29-2010, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Yes brucer, you are also correct. If the shop adds heavy metal (or mallory) to the rear counterweight on the crankshaft, it would be internally balanced on the rear so that the TCI flexplate could be used. Something has to compensate for that weight. It is there because that is what it takes to balance it, speaking in stock form of course. If someone buys that TCI flexplate and bolts it on their stock engine, it will vibrate its butt off. If you are using a stock crank, rods and forged pistons, there is not a lot of balancing to do, as we just pulled one of these exact balance jobs off the machine this week. It took about 30 minutes from start to finish. Like I said, I always balance them to the stock flexplate just in case someone down the road gets the car, breaks a tooth off the flexplate and goes to a parts store and buys a stock one to put back on. Or if he wants to switch to a six speed, all he has to do is bolt on a flywheel and go. There is more than one way to skin a cat and as long as it is right in the end, that is all that matters LOL. I am just saying how it is done in my shop.

Quick Reply: lt1 balacing