LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 to WS6 LS1 air box

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 to WS6 LS1 air box

Yesterday my WS6 bottom half came in while i was at work so today i was able to thow it on really quick to see how much i would need to trim down. So here are some pictures of what lies ahead.

Here you can see how much need to be trimmed just to sit right.

Heres a shot with the hood down but not completely shut down

Last edited by 94T/A5.7LT1; 05-10-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Launching!

looking good, is your bird medium quasar blue? I had to do a lot of trimming on the bottom of my base for it fit under the hood and sit right. Good luck with it, and it's worth it to take your time. You're going to love how much of gain you're gonna get from this set up.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bowtie4life what intake bellow did you use for the maf to throttle body? I have the fernco plumbing type now but does end up looking like it will work especially since the maf is now at a steep angle.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay big update yesterday I trimmed the base to where it would sit nice and flush on the rad support, a lot easier then I thought it was going to be. One thing that I found out is that it doesnt look like I will be needing to do anymore trimming to the box anymore. Here are some pictures that I took along the way.

What I did here is I took some pieces of clay bar and stuck them to some spots i think would have rubbed, then I took the locking latch off the hood. I then shut the hood as far down as I could with out putting too much pressure on it, opened it back up and now the clay shows me how much clearence i have.

Hood closed but not locked down, its very close

What I will be trimming on the hood to get more clearence.

I will be taking more as I finish up this project by today or the next couple of days. My biggest thing now is getting the MAF and the lid connected.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its now finished, I got all the plumbing and electrical hooked up. One problem went to start the car and my service engine light was on. it seemed to run fine, smooth idle so i know its not the MAF. so the PCM is resetting and hopefully that will be the problem, we will see. But other then that it looks right at home in the engine bay.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Launching!

i hear that the non ws-6 air box setup will clear the bottom side of hood with no cutting
or trimming of bottom half of assembly . what brand is your hood?
Old 05-12-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the hood from trufiber. I have also heard about the regular ls1 box fitting with out a problem but I wanted a more functional ram air so I made the ws6 base fit. There was really very little trimming of the hood and since I have not got the hood painted yet I had no problem with trimming it a bit. I will clean up all the cuts and bend it better before I get it painted.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by formula vincent
i hear that the non ws-6 air box setup will clear the bottom side of hood with no cutting
or trimming of bottom half of assembly
. what brand is your hood?
Nope, a non ws-6 one will fit with some cutting\grinding of the under side of the rad support but since its only plastic and you dont even see it,no one will never know .

With that small mount of cutting it will fit without any problem under a ws6 hood without having to cut\hacking it.And if you want even more air you could put a FTRA underneath it and it will flow even better.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Teching In

i am glad i found this post because i was actually tryna figure wld the conversion work?? i have bothe the none ws6 as well as the ws6 ls1 air box so thanks for the knowledge fellas!!!!

Quick Reply: LT1 to WS6 LS1 air box