LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

EFI Connection conversion Tuned by Steve Williams (FROST)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI Connection conversion Tuned by Steve Williams (FROST)

Hey Guys,

First off I have a 96' Impala SS with a 396 Karl Ellwein stroker with a Callies crank, Eagle 6" rods, and Ross Custom Pistons to bring compression to 13.5 to 1, Trickflow heads ported by Lloyd Elliott flow 297/221 2.08/1.60 valves, AI Jesel Shaft 1.6 Rocker kit, Lloyd 259/267 .681/.681 106 lobe sep solid roller cam, Frank Cahall Pro Race 4l60e(been shifting fine for 5 yrs now),Circle D 5000 230mm billet converter, 5.13 gears with 30x10.5 Hoosier Slicks, 3" custom exhaust with Spintech Pro Street Mufflers and 116 Sunoco racing fuel. I have been reading how great Frost was and boy all you guys were right I converted my car with EFI Connection because I was tired of that optispark high rpm issues and just tuning in general. It took me about 3 or 4 days to repin the harness at the PCM for the LS1 computer,take the motor out and install the reluctor and change the firing order of 4 the coils. I contacted Frost about my situation and he told me that he had never tuned an LT1 before so he said if I was willing to wait a little while that he would get me a base tune so I could get the car moving. All of this was discussed in May of this year and when I received my base tune in June the car fired right up so that made me happy that EFI Connection supplied perfect directions. This past July 13th I dropped the car off and talked with Frost for a while and before I left something told me to ask him if his computer would read my car and we tried it and he said all he had was 12v positive and ground and no communication signal. I was thinking to myself well I guess I'm loading back up and heading home not at all Frost said all he had to do was run 1 wire for the data and a little after I left he called and said he ran the wire and it is now reading the car. That is the only thing that EFI Connection did not have in their paperwork but I'm not mad. I'm picking up my car later on today and I can't wait. I am so glad this man took the time to do the research to see what it takes to get an LT1 running because a lot of other people I called said they don't mess with conversions even though its an LS1 computer. If anybody is thinking about getting the EFI Connection kit I highly recommend it because Frost is the man. He told me that my timing finished at 36 and my cam peaked at around 7700 but in the vid he said it pulled to 7900!!! I will post more vids of the car idling later today and of course at the track later this week hopefully the car will run 10 seventy something. You can see Frost making adjustments in the video on my car. www.tunedbyfrost.com Highly Recommended!!! http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KowhhW1S9Sw
Old 07-18-2010, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just purely badass! What did it put down?
Old 07-18-2010, 05:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome deal congrads, i have been hearing many good things about FROST and now another.....

What did your car dyno prior to the conversion,better yet were you able to gain any extra power since most people want to see if more power is attainable through this conversion? I personally do but many have doubts.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:51 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
Awesome deal congrads, i have been hearing many good things about FROST and now another.....

What did your car dyno prior to the conversion,better yet were you able to gain any extra power since most people want to see if more power is attainable through this conversion? I personally do but many have doubts.
Going to 7900, with the power peak at 7700, of course it made more.
The LT1 box won't run much past 7000. Think about it.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Impala guys always do the tricked out bad *** set ups!!! I would imagine it should go better than 10.7s what did it put down?
Old 07-18-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is great news I'm doing the conversion on my new engine and was wondering where the hell I was going to get it tuned, well now I know!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow great result with this kit
Old 07-18-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Going to 7900, with the power peak at 7700, of course it made more.
The LT1 box won't run much past 7000. Think about it.

Hey ED . I dont mean to hijack this thread at all , but have you or anyone on here actually seen an LT1 pick up power switching from LT1 PCM to LS1 EFI conversion. I am without a doubt that the OP's car would but how about a HR setup on a milder motor with 11:1 compression?
Old 07-18-2010, 05:48 PM
9-Second Club

Nope, notcas long as someone knows how to tune an LT1 PCM, and it had no other issues. My 383" was stuck at about 515 through the mufflers until I put the FAST XFI in it and it went to 532rwhp, all gains were above 7000 RPM. I have seen this over and over. If the spark advance is the same, air-fuel is the same, and all 8 plugs fire every time, (not missing or breaking up) what else does anybody think would make more power? There is nothing else.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Nope, notcas long as someone knows how to tune an LT1 PCM, and it had no other issues. My 383" was stuck at about 515 through the mufflers until I put the FAST XFI in it and it went to 532rwhp, all gains were above 7000 RPM. I have seen this over and over. If the spark advance is the same, air-fuel is the same, and all 8 plugs fire every time, (not missing or breaking up) what else does anybody think would make more power? There is nothing else.

I was just curious to see if switching to FAST would actually benefit my setup. I am fortunate enough to live fairly close to Moe Bailey and have him on speed dial if I need him to tune. I guess the only benefit I would gain is gettin rid of the opti but until recently when it got wet I had no problems at high rpms or any other problems.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Well everyone I am very disappointed with the way the car performed at the track yesterday. I know the the 100 degree heat was unbearable but I could not hook to save my life. The best 60' time I could get was a 1.51 and I was hoping for a 1.3x but that never happened. I had a total of 6 passes and the car would not go past 120 mph until the last run which was the one in the vid. On average my 60' was a 1.54 and only 7.13 in the 1/8th which thought it was going to be 6.xx but the funny thing is when I picked the car up from Steve on Sunday morning he told me that the converter flashed at 5600 RPM. I was thinking to myself that was a little high but he told me with a real load on it 6000 RPM would be more realistic. I also don't know what the air DA was but I will start keeping track of that. I have come to the conclusion that the car is blowing through the converter that's why I could not hook. Steve was right on the $ because every time I drove down the return road I would pat the gas real quick and the tach quickly jumped to 5500 on a flash. I have two converters at home in the garage in which one of them will be getting installed. One of them is a Yank SS3600 re-stalled by Circle D to 4800 and the other is a ATI Treemaster 700r4 4400 stall and I am going to put in the ATI because I'm sure its no way in hell that it will flash to 5600 like the Circle D 230mm does. BTW I am sending it back to Circle D in the next month or so to get re-stalled that thing is way too loose. With the 5.13's I don't think I need that much stall anymore. Steve's tune is perfect I checked my plugs and they look good and on the 1-2 shift it was 75-7600 and I was going through the traps right at 7900 with no breaking up at all.I figure with the ATI converter I should be trapping arould 7500. I will post the dyno numbers when Steve emails them to me but he told me that the converter soaked up a lot in which I believe because of the high flash. I will be going back to the track this Friday and hopefully you guys can see a ten second pass. I will also try to get the camera in the car so you guys can see it go through the traps at 7900 in which I was extremely happy to see. EFI Connection all the way.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tb-sz8PvwUhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEEqKzXV2i4
Old 07-19-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

that car moves! no matter what 60' you have lol car sounds absolutely amazing!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 PM
9-Second Club

"Blowing through the converter" and spinning the tires are two different situations. Making a big heavy vehicle like you have there go 1.3x 60' is not very realistic. I would get ATI to re-stall one of their converters. It will blow away the others you have there. I would put those on eBay.

Good luck, Ed
Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Forgot old dyno sheets will post new ones when Steve emails them to me.
Attached Thumbnails EFI Connection conversion Tuned by Steve Williams (FROST)-dyno-tune-06-.jpeg   EFI Connection conversion Tuned by Steve Williams (FROST)-dyno-tune-06-1.jpeg  
Old 07-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Okay thanks ED I will do that we should have the ATI in tomorrow night. I bought it about 2 years ago and only used it for 1 day and I couldn't pin point my problem because used to have one of those useless MSD optisparks which the optical sensor went bad on it after 3 months. From what I remember the stall was between 42-4400 but just in case I will call ATI in the morning and see what they say.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

what made you stick with the 4l60e? those wide splits certainly aren't helping with that heavy car. interesting build
Old 07-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks Soxxpuppet for the comment. Wicked94 I went through about 20 of these transmissions between Nov 01' thru Dec 05' and I tell you what right when I met Frank Cahall I was done with 60e's and was about to get a turbo 400 but he told me that he had figured out how to keep these trannys from failing so I said what the hell and I paid $1400 back then now I see its ($1,855) but still well worth it. I bs you guys not that is the last time I had a transmission overhauled. Frank really knows whats going on with those trannys. The car weighs 3600 lbs without me in it and I weigh 150.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:04 PM
9 Second Club

Talk to lenny at ultimate converter concepts. Your turning that thing pretty damn hard, Id like to see the tq curve on it. With that heavy of a car I think you have a few ket elements off in the combo.

I know steve kevin mark all them guys they have been great to deal with. Have known Mark 10+ years He has a good facility and they are just recently getting into the GM tuning
Old 07-20-2010, 06:59 AM
9-Second Club

That 3.06 1st gear helps get a heavy vehicle moving, but don't like very high stall speeds without big-assed tires and a correctly set up 4 link. That 4400 ATI should be very close. The VAST majority of NHRA Super Stock record holders and race winners use ATI for a reason. Try getting out of low gear sooner. They always run a little quicker that way. My ATI 4400 always ran quickest leaving about 2200. Looks like Karl & Steve have you making good power, just need to learn how to put it down the track now. Let me know if I can help. Tell Karl "Hi!".
Old 07-20-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That low first gear along with 5.13 rear gears is going to be very hard to hookup. I would try some 4.56-4.88 gears with those 30" tires. Goodluck.

Quick Reply: EFI Connection conversion Tuned by Steve Williams (FROST)